• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump claims wrong drug concession from China

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From FOX News

Trump claims wrong drug concession from China

SHANGHAI – President Donald Trump is claiming victory in getting China to designate fentanyl a controlled substance, but China took that step against the deadly opioid years ago.

What's actually on the table is a far more sweeping shift in the way China regulates synthetic opioids. The question is how China will follow through on its words.

Its stated intention is to expand controls on drugs that mimic fentanyl.

TRUMP, about his meeting at the G-20 summit in Argentina with Chinese President Xi Jinping: "What he will be doing to fentanyl could be a game changer for the United States — and what fentanyl is doing to our country in terms of killing people. Because he's agreed to put it at the highest level of crime in his country." — aboard Air Force One on Saturday.

WHITE HOUSE: "Very importantly, President Xi, in a wonderful humanitarian gesture, has agreed to designate Fentanyl as a Controlled Substance, meaning that people selling Fentanyl to the United States will be subject to China's maximum penalty under the law." — statement Saturday.

THE FACTS: That's a misreading of what China agreed to do, at least as far as Chinese authorities are concerned.

Fentanyl has been a controlled substance in China for years, (emphasis added) according to Chinese regulators. As well, China has already put more than 25 variants of fentanyl on its list of controlled substances, China's foreign ministry spokesman, Geng Shuang, said last week.

COMMENT:-

That Mr. Trump screwed up is true - because I read it on FOX News.

That Mr. Trump screwed up is false - because the article originated with the MSM.

That Mr. Trump screwed up is false - because the article originated with the MSM.

DAMN what a quandary!

FOX is part of the "MSM" :roll:

FOX is part of the "MSM" :roll:

Nah. It's the propaganda arm of the Republican Party. It's essentially got nothing to do w/reporting real news above the local level.

Hell the WH Communications director is on Fox's payroll.

Doesn't get much more obvious than that.

Back
Top Bottom