• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump claims support from past presidents for the wall: Clinton, Bush and Obama beg to differ

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Trump claims support from past presidents for the wall: Clinton, Bush and Obama beg to differ

trump-pinoccio-1-1.jpg

1/4/19
President Donald Trump claimed without evidence on Friday that past presidents have privately confided to him that they regret not building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. But at least three of the four living U.S. presidents — Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama — did no such thing. Asked if Clinton told Trump that he should have built a border wall, Clinton spokesman Angel Ureña said, “He did not. In fact, they’ve not talked since the inauguration.” Bush spokesman Freddy Ford also said the two men had not discussed the matter. And Obama, for his part, has not spoken with Trump since his inauguration, except for a brief exchange at George H.W. Bush’s funeral in Washington, D.C. Spokespeople for George H.W. Bush, who died in November, and Jimmy Carter did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

:prof Habitual liars are gonna habitually lie.

CLINTON was ALL ABOUT BUILDING THE WALL, exactly as Pres.Trump said:

In 1995, Bill Clinton was all about "building that wall"

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4652944/1995-bill-clinton-building-wall

GW Bush ordered the barrier built in 2006:

Bush Signs Secure Borders Bill

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/26/washington/27fencecnd.html

And, of course OBAMA AND HILLARY on securing the border:

In a series of tweets, Mr. Trump quoted Mr. Obama in 2005 saying, “We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented, unchecked.”

He quoted Mrs. Clinton in 2015 saying, “I voted, when I was a Senator, to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/6/donald-trump-quotes-obama-hillary-clinton-supporti/

We see who is LYING about their PREVIOUS POSITION, don't we?

illegals wall dems would build.jpg

I think there's two ways to look at this. Certainly, since the Trump hasn't talked to either Bush or Obama, neither have given him their vocal support. Policy wise, Bush indeed did sign the secure border fence act into law in 2006, 700 miles worth of wall, fence. So I suppose technically, Bush supported a wall. Obama as a senator voted for the secure border fence act and stated, Obama's full quote at the time: "We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States, undetected, undocumented, unchecked and circumventing the line of people who are waiting patiently, diligently and lawfully to become immigrants in this country."

Obama as president as made several references to security the southern border. Now do these action represent support for Trump's wall or just support for "a wall" and not "the wall". Semantics or truth?

It all probably depends on "Which side of the fence," you stand politically. Pun intended.

From the article......

“This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me and they all know it," Trump said. "Some of them have told me that we should have done it.”

;)

tumblr_p1yedrMZ651qinrtgo1_500.jpg

Trump may not realize this....in fact I am sure he doesn't realize it. He is making his issue with the Southern Border worse if he actually believes his own nonsense. His recent comment on asylum seekers and how quickly they can apply for US citizenship is the biggest drawing card for asylum seekers I ever heard about. "Sure get over here...you can apply for citizenship instantly". I am sure this is just another issue of Donald's incoherence and inability to string words together into meaningful sentences. I would hate to think he actually believes they can just cross and apply for citizenship.

This guy is gone...just gone. Either he never had an active brain cell in his head or lost them all somewhere along the way.

I think there's two ways to look at this. Certainly, since the Trump hasn't talked to either Bush or Obama, neither have given him their vocal support. Policy wise, Bush indeed did sign the secure border fence act into law in 2006, 700 miles worth of wall, fence. So I suppose technically, Bush supported a wall. Obama as a senator voted for the secure border fence act and stated, Obama's full quote at the time: "We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States, undetected, undocumented, unchecked and circumventing the line of people who are waiting patiently, diligently and lawfully to become immigrants in this country."

Read the OP. That is not what Trump claimed.....

President Donald Trump claimed without evidence on Friday that past presidents have privately confided to him that they regret not building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

When asked, our living past presidents have come out and stated that they have never said any such thing to Donald Trump.

Read the OP. That is not what Trump claimed.....

When asked, our living past presidents have come out and stated that they have never said any such thing to Donald Trump.

Of course, it's the dead ones that talked to him about it, duh! Dumm Libruls!

Obama as president as made several references to security the southern border. Now do these action represent support for Trump's wall or just support for "a wall" and not "the wall". Semantics or truth?

It all probably depends on "Which side of the fence," you stand politically. Pun intended.
Of course Trump lied about former presidents calling him. Only his most self deluded supporters are stupid enough to believe otherwise
Considering the former leaders publicly stated positions, I do not see them as a matter of semantics in either a literal or philosophical sense. Trump has repeated, ad nauseum, his desire for a wall stretching the length of our southern border. The others have not.

Of course Trump lied about former presidents calling him. Only his most self deluded supporters are stupid enough to believe otherwise
Considering the former leaders publicly stated positions, I do not see them as a matter of semantics in either a literal or philosophical sense. Trump has repeated, ad nauseum, his desire for a wall stretching the length of our southern border. The others have not.

I thought I made that clear. That neither president has given their approval for Trump's wall. Although both former presidents had support a wall earlier. the difference, is the former president's support "A Wall," but not "The Wall," if you get my drift. Neither former president has come out in support of Trump's wall, but both previously support a wall. There is a difference.

Back
Top Bottom