• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump claims new trade pact will ensure Mexico pays for border wall

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Cool. I assume then that he has no intention of shutting down the government to make Congress fund the wall?

That would be a logical conclusion, but then, nothing about Trump is logical.

Amelia

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trump's simply deflecting away from what will be a line of attack during the looming shutdown.

Both chambers of Congress flew-the-coop yesterday, leading me to believe - as Pelosi claimed - the votes in the House were not there. So I doubt there's much hope of averting a shutdown.

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Trump's simply deflecting away from what will be a line of attack during the looming shutdown.

Both chambers of Congress flew-the-coop yesterday, leading me to believe - as Pelosi claimed - the votes in the House were not there. So I doubt there's much hope of averting a shutdown.

Trump said he would take responsibility for the shutdown, just before he said that the Democrats need to step up and avert a shutdown.

But, if he's really found a way to make Mexico pay, why does he need the help of the house Democrats?

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Related:

Without President Donald Trump to worry about, a bipartisan deal would likely sail through Congress to fund the government ahead of the holidays. But with Trump fueling the border wall brinkmanship, everyone in the Capitol has basically stopped talking.

The House and Senate left town Thursday with no strategy to avert a partial government shutdown next week, putting Congress on the brink of an intractable conflict that could drag out through New Year’s Day — furloughing hundreds of thousands of workers and costing taxpayers millions.

Source: (Politico) 'There's no plan': Congress skips town as shutdown nears

ElChupacabra

Me cago en las cabras!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
If he could elaborate that would be wonderful. If's it's cagey math well.....

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trump said he would take responsibility for the shutdown, just before he said that the Democrats need to step up and avert a shutdown.

But, if he's really found a way to make Mexico pay, why does he need the help of the house Democrats?
If I had to hazard a guess, we're hading into a shutdown. A nasty shutdown. And perhaps a prolonged one.

And when capitulation occurs, it will set the course for the next two years. I expect Trump will cling to the end, not giving-in. He knows his political future is at stake. If he gives-in, he loses a part of his base - a base he cannot afford to lose any of. If Trump cooperates or negotiates, it will be sold by him as a position of power win. It's his only choice.

Praxas

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Trump claims new trade pact will ensure Mexico pays for border wall[/h]

The Trump administration is nothing if not amusing.

So as soon as that money comes in and COMPLETELY funds that wall, then he can have it. Oh and no government shutdown needed since "the money will be coming". Or is this just the 2018 lie from Trump of "The check is in the mail".

Quite easy to check, if he continues on with this government shutdown if he doesn't get his wall, than we will know once again that he is /TRUMPET "LYING!" as usual.

beefheart

Ice Cream for Crow?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Yeah....sure....:lamo

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Nice. Hundreds of thousands of workers out of work during the holidays. Thanks, Trump. Will you really take ownership of the shutdown now, or try to blame the evil Democrats?
And it now has its own thread, here:

DP

Top Bottom