• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Claims America Should Never Have Given Canada Its Independence

_Sal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
somewhere across the border in the great North
Political Leaning
Liberal
this is simply...well....beautiful

his knowledge of history... :lamo....pitiful and typical

DONALD J. Trump has told Fox and Friends that he believes the U.S. “should never have allowedCanada to gain independence. The republican candidate for president freely admits to being “a little rusty” on Canadian history, but feels confident that the United States owned Canada “at some point”, and claims giving it back was a “major mistake”.

The former reality tv star was responding to a question about Puerto Rico possibly becoming the 51st of the United States, when he made the statement. “It used to be 51 you know, when we had Canada,” Trump said, pointing to an American flag, “Or 52 if you count Mexico which I never will, no matter how much they beg.”

Trump Claims America Should Never Have Given Canada Its Independence | BSJ

yeah...you can't make this stuff up folks

on the other hand the rational part of my brain says: sad

DONALD J. Trump has told Fox and Friends that he believes the U.S. “should never have allowedCanada to gain independence. The republican candidate for president freely admits to being “a little rusty” on Canadian history, but feels confident that the United States owned Canada “at some point”, and claims giving it back was a “major mistake”.

The former reality tv star was responding to a question about Puerto Rico possibly becoming the 51st of the United States, when he made the statement. “It used to be 51 you know, when we had Canada,” Trump said, pointing to an American flag, “Or 52 if you count Mexico which I never will, no matter how much they beg.”

Whaaaat.....

Shrug...

Another case of someone not being able to take a joke, I guess.

I mean, seriously, _Sal...did you even read that article you linked?

Y'all are REALLY scraping the bottom of the barrel here. I'm surprised you didn't castigate Obama when he made his jokes at that newsman's dinner thing. Damn...think of all the good material you missed!!

this is simply...

Shrug...think of all the good material you missed!!

My confusion is not with the issue...

It's with Mycroft and _Sal having a similar icon! :confused:

I keep getting confused about who is supporting who/what in the political threads. ;)

Last edited:

You can't make it up? Well, did you look at some of the other headlines on that site?
President Obama Begins DNC Speech By Chanting "4 More Years, 4 More Years" | BSJ
Mass Shootings Planned Across The World To Celebrate 4th of July | BSJ
Donald Trump just named his most inspiring person ever, and the answer won't surprise you... | BSJ

But I'll bet you voted for the "57 States" guy...

My confusion is not with the issue...

It's with Mycroft and _Sal having a similar icon! :confused:

I keep getting confused about who is supporting who/what in the political threads. ;)

Wow...I didn't even notice that. I guess I just don't look at icons.

Disclaimer | BSJ

All burrardstreetjournal.com, FM News or FM Football News articles are satirical and entirely fabricated.

Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental, except for all references to sports personalities and/or celebrities, in which case they are based on real people, but still based almost entirely in fiction.

Please feel free to copy and paste this disclaimer into you facebook comment to “prove this site’s bull****”.

This site is a source of parody, satire, and humor and is for entertainment purposes only.

Uh, what's the criterion for successful satire?
I understand people were outraged when Jonathan Swift suggested eating Irish babies, too.

edit- actually, you can make this stuff up

At least Sarah Palin's claim that she could see Russia would be an interesting topic on Mythbusters with an experiment to see what altitude would be necessary to see Russia from Sarah Palin's house. Trump's claim isn't even entertaining.

I understand people were outraged when Jonathan Swift suggested eating Irish babies, too.

The scary thing is that something like this is plausible.

Of course you can make this stuff up. Heck, we see exactly this kind of stuff made up every day by the Hillary people...except they don't have the disclaimer.

The scary thing is that something like this is plausible.

Agreed. That's part of what makes it good satire.
I've never heard of the 'Burrard Street Journal'- oddly, because I'm from the Vancouver area. I'll have to look in on it now and then, like I do 'the Onion'.

Of course you can make this stuff up. Heck, we see exactly this kind of stuff made up every day by the Hillary people...except they don't have the disclaimer.

Humour. It's humour.
Is your funny bone broken?

Humour. It's humour.
Is your funny bone broken?

My funny bone is fine.

My point was that this stuff...this outrageous stuff said about Trump is believed...as we see from the OP. Even though anyone reading the article would KNOW it's ridiculous stuff, she fell for it.

The Hillary people do this as their main campaigning tactic. And so many people fall for her stuff. Hillary should be required to file a disclaimer.

My funny bone is fine.

My point was that this stuff...this outrageous stuff said about Trump is believed...as we see from the OP. Even though anyone reading the article would KNOW it's ridiculous stuff, she fell for it.

The Hillary people do this as their main campaigning tactic. And so many people fall for her stuff. Hillary should be required to file a disclaimer.

Gee, I wonder why it works so well. Could it be because Trump has said so many idiotic comments just like this one before that people have no trouble believing it?

Isn't there any requirement to label something a parody around here? Don't waste people's time thinking a thread topic is legit, fer christ sake.

My funny bone is fine.

No, I disagree. One reason why it (the article) is successful isthat it's entirely plausible, as another poster pointed out. Several people read it and believed it, and they're not stupid people. I wasn't surprised to read it until I realized it was satire. I can easily believe Trump thinking that Canada was once part ot the US. Hell, I could believe Clinton or Obama thinking that. The only American candidate in this fiasco I suspect wouldn't think that would be Cruz, and I'm not sure about him.

Isn't there any requirement to label something a parody around here? Don't waste people's time thinking a thread topic is legit, fer christ sake.

No, no requirement to lead people by the nose. You're on your own here.

No, no requirement to lead people by the nose. You're on your own here.

I was thinking more 'common courtesy' than being 'led by the nose.' There are a massive number of posts made daily here. Why trick us into opening up something we would normally not read? Teeing up an Onion-type article as actual legit news is deceptive (regardless of humorous intent) and just wastes other folks' time. Of course, YMMV.

Edit: Of course, I guess I could just "Blame Canada!" :)

Gee, I wonder why it works so well. Could it be because Trump has said so many idiotic comments just like this one before that people have no trouble believing it?

It works so well because people have been conditioned over many election cycles to not only accept this campaign tactic, but to believe this drivel without a second thought.

The OP is a perfect example.

No, I disagree. One reason why it (the article) is successful isthat it's entirely plausible, as another poster pointed out. Several people read it and believed it, and they're not stupid people. I wasn't surprised to read it until I realized it was satire. I can easily believe Trump thinking that Canada was once part ot the US. Hell, I could believe Clinton or Obama thinking that. The only American candidate in this fiasco I suspect wouldn't think that would be Cruz, and I'm not sure about him.

It is my opinion that anyone who gave that article a shred of credibility is, in fact, stupid.

I was thinking more 'common courtesy' than being 'led by the nose.' There are a massive number of posts made daily here. Why trick us into opening up something we would normally not read? Teeing up an Onion-type article as actual legit news is deceptive (regardless of humorous intent) and just wastes other folks' time. Of course, YMMV.

Edit: Of course, I guess I could just "Blame Canada!" :)

Yeah, you could. Blame Canada, I mean. After all, you lost precious minutes finding a bit of humour when you were expecting, what? a partisan dispute?
But to be fair, the original poster didn't know it was satire. I think several others didn't know, either, until it was pointed out.
I know I got my money's worth, more than if it had been a real report.

Back
Top Bottom