• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump calls CNN 'dumb bastards' for covering coronavirus

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

President Trump
on Monday mocked CNN for covering the ongoing coronavirus pandemic as he rallied hundreds of supporters, many of them not wearing masks, in Arizona.

"They’re getting tired of the pandemic, aren’t they,” Trump told a crowd of hundreds of unmasked supporters in Prescott. “You turn on CNN, that’s all they cover. Covid, Covid, pandemic, Covid, Covid, Covid… You know why? They’re trying to talk everybody out of voting. People aren’t buying it, CNN. You dumb bastards."

Trump's rally remarks marked the second time of the day that he suggested focus on the pandemic was overblown because people had grown tired of it.
===================================================================================================
"People are tired of COVID. Yup, there’s going to be spikes, there’s going to be no spikes, there’s going to be vaccines. With or without vaccines, people are tired of COVID,” Trump said on a call with campaign staff earlier Monday. "I have the biggest rallies I have ever had and we have COVID. People are saying whatever, just leave us alone. They’re tired of it."

Trump must be back on those steroids.

President Trump on Monday mocked CNN for covering the ongoing coronavirus pandemic as he rallied hundreds of supporters, many of them not wearing masks, in Arizona.

"They’re getting tired of the pandemic, aren’t they,” Trump told a crowd of hundreds of unmasked supporters in Prescott. “You turn on CNN, that’s all they cover. Covid, Covid, pandemic, Covid, Covid, Covid… You know why? They’re trying to talk everybody out of voting. People aren’t buying it, CNN. You dumb bastards."

Trump's rally remarks marked the second time of the day that he suggested focus on the pandemic was overblown because people had grown tired of it.
===================================================================================================
"People are tired of COVID. Yup, there’s going to be spikes, there’s going to be no spikes, there’s going to be vaccines. With or without vaccines, people are tired of COVID,” Trump said on a call with campaign staff earlier Monday. "I have the biggest rallies I have ever had and we have COVID. People are saying whatever, just leave us alone. They’re tired of it."

this was so epic

And there is your reason it keeps spreading. Trump the world's leader in misinformation and disinformation on covid19.

President Trump on Monday mocked CNN for covering the ongoing coronavirus pandemic as he rallied hundreds of supporters, many of them not wearing masks, in Arizona.

tRump is the "dumb bastard" - holding rallies where many of the attendees don't wear masks. Does he not know what many attendees getting covid this close to the election would do to his chances of catching up to Biden?

If that shitgibbon has even half of a functioning brain cell, I'd be surprised.

Trump is not completely wrong. Many of us are tired of Covid. That does not mean we are not going to continue taking safety precautions to minimize the risk. The only one being dumb it Trump. He has been a terrible leader during this pandemic. He can try and spin it anyway he wants but his lack of taking the issue seriously is one of many reasons I did not vote for him in this election.

People need to hear the progress and current situation regarding coronavirus

Trump, going after anyone that does not kiss his arse... in other shocking news, the sun is still around.

People need to hear the progress and current situation regarding coronavirus

What progress? It's blowing back up. Probably no vaccine until New Years at the very earliest.

Trump is not completely wrong. Many of us are tired of Covid. That does not mean we are not going to continue taking safety precautions to minimize the risk. The only one being dumb it Trump. He has been a terrible leader during this pandemic. He can try and spin it anyway he wants but his lack of taking the issue seriously is one of many reasons I did not vote for him in this election.
Words after bolded are unnecessary

What progress? It's blowing back up. Probably no vaccine until New Years at the very earliest.
I just found out my son may be going remote as there are new cases in his school. So, yep,I want to hear ...progress or not

He's crass, but he's not wrong in this respect.

I wouldn't entirely eliminate coverage on COVID, but cutting it back 95% to make way for other news and events would be both prudent and welcome.

If news coverage was limited to weekly updates on infection, hospitalization, and mortality stats, and as-needed reports on policy changes (both local and national) and major announcements (e.g. vaccine development completion, etc.), this would be perfectly sufficient to keep the public safe and informed. Yet it would represent a 90-95% cutback on COVID reporting.

It's not that the 5-10% of legitimate material isn't needed, it's that 90-95% of the material is useless filler, and if the sentiments of my friends, family, neighbours, and colleagues here in Canada are any indication, people are indeed sick of it.

I wouldn't entirely eliminate coverage on COVID, but cutting it back 95% to make way for other news and events would be both prudent and welcome.

If news coverage was limited to weekly updates on infection, hospitalization, and mortality stats, and as-needed reports on policy changes (both local and national) and major announcements (e.g. vaccine development completion, etc.), this would be perfectly sufficient to keep the public safe and informed. Yet it would represent a 90-95% cutback on COVID reporting.

It's not that the 5-10% of legitimate material isn't needed, it's that 90-95% of the material is useless filler, and if the sentiments of my friends, family, neighbours, and colleagues here in Canada are any indication, people are indeed sick of it.
Much of the news here in the US covers Trump’s daily efforts to make the pandemic worse. He holds rallies and other events that spread the virus, mocks people who wear masks, constantly says it’s going away, muzzles the scientists who could help us tame the virus, puts people in charge he sees on Fox News with crazy ideas on how to handle the virus, etc. Given that we are in the middle of an election people need to understand how Trump is destroying the country. You should just be happy your leader is not a nut case when it comes to Covid-19.

And there you have it. The complete moron-ifaction of America.
This man has done more to make this country into "Idiocracy"
The cultist rubes love him, they lost the ability to think.

Heads up cultists....ignorance is nothing to be proud of.

Trump wants to ignore the pandemic, it is his game plan, had he had his way we would have opened everything at Easter and have a Million dead by now, the guy is an idiot. Something is going to Fade Away alright, trump and a bunch of GOP Senators. Thanks donald.

I just found out my son may be going remote as there are new cases in his school. So, yep,I want to hear ...progress or not
Many schools are having to go back to remote learning as the cases start climbing again, the holidays are going to suck like the rest of the year.

It's not that the 5-10% of legitimate material isn't needed, it's that 90-95% of the material is useless filler, and if the sentiments of my friends, family, neighbors, and colleagues here in Canada are any indication, people are indeed sick of it.
And much of the coverage is to mitigate the harm that Trump does with his misinformation. Trump says dangerously stupid crap, and the press covers it and is forced to put a lineup of experts on to make sure the public knows what the accurate information is.

If Trump would leave the medical/epidemiological stuff to the actual experts....that would have cut down a massive amount of coverage.

Much of the news here in the US covers Trump’s daily efforts to make the pandemic worse. He holds rallies and other events that spread the virus, mocks people who wear masks, constantly says it’s going away, muzzles the scientists who could help us tame the virus, puts people in charge he sees on Fox News with crazy ideas on how to handle the virus, etc. Given that we are in the middle of an election people need to understand how Trump is destroying the country. You should just be happy your leader is not a nut case when it comes to Covid-19.
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with over-reporting of the virus.

By your description above, clearly the best thing CNN can do for the public is not reiterate ad nauseum what Pres. Trump thinks and says about COVID. This becomes all the more important when we consider that a good 50% of Americans despise CNN so fiercely that the network's endorsement of a strategy is the surest way to build public resistance to that strategy.

And much of the coverage is to mitigate the harm that Trump does with his misinformation. Trump says dangerously stupid crap, and the press covers it and is forced to put a lineup of experts on to make sure the public knows what the accurate information is.
It doesn't work like that.

If CNN was a nationally trusted network without any clear bias or motive, the strategy might work for a while. As things stand, they can parade as many talking heads in front of viewers as they can find, they've lost the public trust. They're not trusted to be objective, or truthful, or fair, or to have proper perspective. They're not trusted to report facts, consider different angles, or set good priorities.

Political capital is something a journalistic institution builds by reporting the "what" with objective detachment. That political capital can then be spent selling a narrative--the "what you should think" that accompanies the "what". But political capital must be earned before it's spent. The problem with many networks, including CNN, is they've lost sight of this reality. They have virtually no political capital left, and the harder they try to spend what little they have, the harder they make it to earn new capital.

As I said to George, CNN has pushed so hard against Pres. Trump's administration that their condemnation is a political asset to him. Perhaps the greatest political asset he has. Which is of course one of the reasons he loves to badmouth them in return.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with over-reporting of the virus.

By your description above, clearly the best thing CNN can do for the public is not reiterate ad nauseum what Pres. Trump thinks and says about COVID. This becomes all the more important when we consider that a good 50% of Americans despise CNN so fiercely that the network's endorsement of a strategy is the surest way to build public resistance to that strategy.

It doesn't work like that.

If CNN was a nationally trusted network without any clear bias or motive, the strategy might work for a while. As things stand, they can parade as many talking heads in front of viewers as they can find, they've lost the public trust. They're not trusted to be objective, or truthful, or fair, or to have proper perspective. They're not trusted to report facts, consider different angles, or set good priorities.

Political capital is something a journalistic institution builds by reporting the "what" with objective detachment. That political capital can then be spent selling a narrative--the "what you should think" that accompanies the "what". But political capital must be earned before it's spent. The problem with many networks, including CNN, is they've lost sight of this reality. They have virtually no political capital left, and the harder they try to spend what little they have, the harder they make it to earn new capital.

As I said to George, CNN has pushed so hard against Pres. Trump's administration that their condemnation is a political asset to him. Perhaps the greatest political asset he has. Which is of course one of the reasons he loves to badmouth them in return.
It should be obvious. The "over reporting" has to do with Trump making himself the news by spreading misinformation.

If he would STHU, there would be less misinformation to blow back on. He makes himself the news over and over and over. And he loves to rile up his base by making them believe that the libs are trying to control them with masks and such.

But he made sure cohesive messaging was not possible ---so more air time was needed. If you want to look to why there is so much coverage of Covid.....look to Trump. Any publicity is good publicity to him. Even if it is harmful to the citizens of this country.

Many schools are having to go back to remote learning as the cases start climbing again, the holidays are going to suck like the rest of the year.
Sorry for my ignorance ... "go back" to remote learning? Were some places NOT doing remote learning?

It should be obvious. The "over reporting" has to do with Trump making himself the news by spreading misinformation.
There's no law that says the media has to dote on Pres. Trump's every tweet and utterance on the campaign trail.

You yourself acknowledge it would be far better if they didn't. I pine for the good old days when one could turn on the news and expect to hear about the peace treaty in India, the meeting of the African nations on a gold standard, the CBO report on Social Security shortfalls--actual news--rather than endless minutiae anyone can glean from a Twitter feed.

If he would STHU, there would be less misinformation to blow back on. He makes himself the news over and over and over. And he loves to rile up his base by making them believe that the libs are trying to control them with masks and such.
He's not going to shut up. We know it. CNN knows it. Hence why can't CNN be smart about it? Go back to reporting actual news. As I said, that's how they earn real political capital. Start reporting the stories that matter--the major business deals, wars and ends of wars, major moves in China and South America, major moves by the Fed, IMF, ECB, bank fraud, political movements, technology milestones, space exploration, major disasters, etc., etc., all of which have little or nothing to do with Pres. Trump.

If you want to look to why there is so much coverage of Covid.....look to Trump. Any publicity is good publicity to him. Even if it is harmful to the citizens of this country.
You're saying this as though you believe CNN has no choice but to report on Pres. Trump and COVID. Like they're a battered wife. He beats them, he uses them, he strips away their ability to report worthwhile news. But they just can't bear to leave him, and anybody who insists they do "doesn't understand".

Nuts to that. Leave him and get back to reporting the news. Real news. Start building that political capital again. It would be such a breath of fresh air.

CNN is full of dumb bastards even without their COVID coverage.
Not really. Fox is the world leader in whatever passes for journalistic dumb bastards.

Back
Top Bottom