• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Brought Candy

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Both Pence and McCarthy brought this up early in their remarks after the WH meeting broke up. They said it in a way that seemed to convey that this offering carried much weight in the negotiating process.

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...passed-out-candy-and-didnt-raise-his-voice-in

No report if Trump took his candy with him when he left..........

So reviewing Trump's last "negotiating" move, he is trying to piecemeal sections of wall by bootstrapping them to CR's. He has on the table now 220 miles of wall funding. In effect, what he is trying here at the last is to set up a series of CR bootstraps as a means to get to a completed wall "someday" never having actually gone through the Appropriations process to get it. Nice try Donald.

Trump remains resistant to any actual Appropriations process. This is simply another effort to circumvent the process because he can't get his wall through the Appropriations process.

He really never wanted his Wall. If he wanted it, he would have prioritized it at the start of his term. He didn't.

We are headed for the National Emergency announcement which will also fail to get a Wall built but will allow Trump to claim to his base that he did all he could do.

Last edited:
Trump Brought Candy
My reaction when I heard Pence say Trump passed out candy:

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

And not even good high quality candy. This was run of the mill stuff probably left over from Halloween.

So reviewing Trump's last "negotiating" move, he is trying to piecemeal sections of wall by bootstrapping them to CR's. He has on the table now 220 miles of wall funding. In effect, what he is trying here at the last is to set up a series of CR bootstraps as a means to get to a completed wall "someday" never having actually gone through the Appropriations process to get it. Nice try Donald.

Trump remains resistant to any actual Appropriations process. This is simply another effort to circumvent the process because he can't get his wall through the Appropriations process.

He really never wanted his Wall. If he wanted it, he would have prioritized it at the start of his term. He didn't.

We are headed for the National Emergency announcement which will also fail to get a Wall built but will allow Trump to claim to his base that he did all he could do.

Obama made promises about illegal immigration to illegal immigrants...only way he could get anything done was by circumventing the process because he couldn't get his deal through congress. What did you think of that move? Reason I ask is to see if you applied the same rhetoric to Obama as you are now applying to Trump. Are you consistent? Or hypocritical?

Obama made promises about illegal immigration to illegal immigrants...only way he could get anything done was by circumventing the process because he couldn't get his deal through congress. What did you think of that move? Reason I ask is to see if you applied the same rhetoric to Obama as you are now applying to Trump. Are you consistent? Or hypocritical?

In the first place a "Deferred action" Executive Order is not the same thing as attempting to build a permanent sea to shining sea border barrier via National Emergency. So I don't have to claim either side of a consistency argument. Your comparison is flawed. Nor is attempting to bootstrap new and continuing Appropriations onto CR's the same thing as a Deferred Action Executive Order. So again, your comparison is flawed. There is a process for New and continuing Appropriations. Avoiding the Appropriations process when it is clearly the path our checks and balances system calls for to achieve what some politician might want is not the same thing as a Deferred Action Executive Order.

In the second place, Obama always claimed he really did not think he had the right to even that Deferred action Executive Order and expanding it should have brought a serious challenge which was never really mounted. That is not Obama's fault and its not mine either.

Last edited:
In the first place a "Deferred action" Executive Order is not the same thing as attempting to build a permanent sea to shining sea border barrier via National Emergency. So I don't have to claim either side of a consistency argument. Your comparison is flawed. Nor is attempting to bootstrap new and continuing Appropriations onto CR's the same thing as a Deferred Action Executive Order. So again, your comparison is flawed.

In the second place, Obama always claimed he really did not think he had the right to even that Deferred action Executive Order and expanding it should have brought a serious challenge which was never really mounted. That is not Obama's fault and its not mine either.

Yeah...that's what I thought.

And not even good high quality candy. This was run of the mill stuff probably left over from Halloween.

1. I'm not a candy snob. What kind of candy it was is irrelevant to me.
  2. That a VPOTUS noted the man's handing out candy as being indicative of something germane to discussions about funding and keeping running the federal government, something that is the POTUS and Congress' job to do, is laughable.

Of all the things a senior-most executive is supposed to do is make sure the organization s/he leads continues operating, not take pride in being able to close it down.

Trump and the GOP had two years to fully fund Trumps wall. Nothing. They didn't even mention the wall until after the GOP midterm disaster.

Trump realized he suffered a beat-down and had to do something to energize his base. Ergo... my wall promise!

1. I'm not a candy snob. What kind of candy it was is irrelevant to me.
  2. That a VPOTUS noted the man's handing out candy as being indicative of something germane to discussions about funding and keeping running the federal government, something that is the POTUS and Congress' job to do, is laughable.

Of all the things a senior-most executive is supposed to do is make sure the organization s/he leads continues operating, not take pride in being able to close it down.

How can you not be a candy snob? There is a mountain of difference between some reeses peanut butter cups and milkduds.

If he brought Chocolate I'd fold. I'd give him whatever deal he put on the table.. $5 bil....$50 bil... Whatever he wanted.

attempting to build a permanent sea to shining sea border barrier
Right, so you don't even understand the most basic details of what's being proposed.

Right, so you don't even understand the most basic details of what's being proposed.

How so?

Your first post in the thread is a fart and run. I am supposed to take that seriously.

Context is important, no?

All recent presidents, going back to at least Reagan, have taken Executive Action to allow immigrants who otherwise not be allowed to enter or remain in the US stay or come here.

As far as I can recall, no president has taken an Executive Action to spend so much money on a wall. And none of them declared a national security emergency under the National Emergencies Act to do so.

How so?

Your first post in the thread is a fart and run. I am supposed to take that seriously.
I see, you want me to put a little ring in your nose and lead you around with a rope. Nobody has proposed a "permanent sea to shining sea border" nobody is "attempting to build a permanent sea to shining sea border barrier".

I see, you want me to put a little ring in your nose and lead you around with a rope. Nobody has proposed a "permanent sea to shining sea border" nobody is "attempting to build a permanent sea to shining sea border barrier".

That was Trump's campaign rhetoric exactly with the added twist that "Mexico would pay for it".

While having been all over the map since the campaign and most particularly in the last 4 months while he is looking for 2020 campaign issues, he is back to his sea to shining sea rhetoric again. Keep up.

I will agree with you to some extent. Trump is actually not trying to build anything. He wants the Wall Fight, not the Wall itself.

How can you not be a candy snob? There is a mountain of difference between some reeses peanut butter cups and milkduds.

I am pro-milk duds. However, I probably eat Reeses more often.

To the point of being all over the map...Trump claiming the solid construction wall is still under consideration though its the last thing CBP wants on the border.

Again, he has been and is all over the map while avoiding the actual Appropriations process because he has no actual proposal to make to Congress to forward that process.

His only real effort to get something built is this absurdity of trying to bootstrap a new Appropriation onto CR's. That is failing as it should and if he turns to National Emergency that will fail as well. But the National Emergency route will allow him to claim to his rabid base that he did everything he could to get something that he actually has never believed in or wanted.

How do you use the same rhetoric to describe Obama and Trump? Obama wasn't orange, fat, dumb or evil. Where's the parallel?

But Pence's "But he offered them Candy!" was the highlight on fluff.

He seemed to have intended it to be a response to why the President wasn't the angry one, so in context it looked maybe something like this:
- Did Trump throw a temper tantrum?
No, he was a nice host, he even passed out candy at the start! I'm not making that up, he passed out candy!
Then he ashed Nancy if she's give him the wall in exchange for nothing, she said no, and he said "buh bye"! Totally normal!

Mine too. We gotta save that clip of Pence saying that. Seeing his fake-serious face as he actually said that...just too much.

Republicans entire speech afterwards...damage control I guess, was so over the top. They put up a circus tent and trotted out each act. Each one more absurd than the last.

Last edited:
That was Trump's campaign rhetoric exactly
No, he stated many, many times throughout the campaign that a wall stretching all the way across the border was unnecessary. We currently have barriers in place on roughly 35% of the border, he's said all along he wants to bump that up to about 50%. Please, educate yourself.

But Pence's "But he offered them Candy!" was the highlight on fluff.

He seemed to have intended it to be a response to why the President wasn't the angry one, so in context it looked maybe something like this:
- Did Trump throw a temper tantrum?
No, he was a nice host, he even passed out candy at the start! I'm not making that up, he passed out candy!
Then he ashed Nancy if she's give him the wall in exchange for nothing, she said no, and he said "buh bye"! Totally normal!

Mine too. We gotta save that clip of Pence saying that. Seeing his fake-serious face as he actually said that...just too much.

Republicans entire speech afterwards...damage control I guess, was so over the top. They put up a circus tent and trotted out each act. Each one more absurd than the last.

Luring the naive with candy - that has too many slimy overtones.

Back
Top Bottom