• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Brought Candy

No, he stated many, many times throughout the campaign that a wall stretching all the way across the border was unnecessary. We currently have barriers in place on roughly 35% of the border, he's said all along he wants to bump that up to about 50%. Please, educate yourself.

When Trump says with reference to his Wall he does not want migrants working their way along the border and just "turning left" there is only one way to take that. Your mileage may vary.

When Trump says with reference to his Wall he does not want migrants working their way along the border and just "turning left" there is only one way to take that. Your mileage may vary.
Yes, that by definition the "willfully ignorant" are ignorant because they choose to be.

Yes, that by definition the "willfully ignorant" are ignorant because they choose to be.

Trump, June 2015
"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great great wall on our southern border and I’ll have Mexico pay for that wall."

Only one way to take that too.

Obama made promises about illegal immigration to illegal immigrants...only way he could get anything done was by circumventing the process because he couldn't get his deal through congress. What did you think of that move? Reason I ask is to see if you applied the same rhetoric to Obama as you are now applying to Trump. Are you consistent? Or hypocritical?

Two wrongs do not make a right.

No, he stated many, many times throughout the campaign that a wall stretching all the way across the border was unnecessary. We currently have barriers in place on roughly 35% of the border, he's said all along he wants to bump that up to about 50%. Please, educate yourself.

Trump is so all over the map there is no telling any longer how much of what he wants to build where. The point is not that HE WANTS to build a Wall along the entire Southern Border. The point is he hasn't the ability to describe what he wants to build or where he wants to build it from one minute to the next. He has never made the effort it takes to gain an Appropriation for new physical barrier funding....EVER!

In fact, as I have stated, I don't believe he wants to build a Wall. He wants a Wall Fight, not a Wall itself.

Both Pence and McCarthy brought this up early in their remarks after the WH meeting broke up. They said it in a way that seemed to convey that this offering carried much weight in the negotiating process.

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...passed-out-candy-and-didnt-raise-his-voice-in

No report if Trump took his candy with him when he left..........

He was just trying to be Reagan with his jelly beans.

Reagan?
Well, Americans knew Reagan...
Mr. Trump YOU'RE NO RONALD REAGAN!

But Pence's "But he offered them Candy!" was the highlight on fluff.

He seemed to have intended it to be a response to why the President wasn't the angry one, so in context it looked maybe something like this:
- Did Trump throw a temper tantrum?
No, he was a nice host, he even passed out candy at the start! I'm not making that up, he passed out candy!
Then he ashed Nancy if she's give him the wall in exchange for nothing, she said no, and he said "buh bye"! Totally normal!

Mine too. We gotta save that clip of Pence saying that. Seeing his fake-serious face as he actually said that...just too much.

Republicans entire speech afterwards...damage control I guess, was so over the top. They put up a circus tent and trotted out each act. Each one more absurd than the last.

Red:
Be that as it may (and sure, I agree with your contextual depiction), a host's affably passing out candy at the start of an event doesn't preclude him/her from subsequently throwing a temper tantrum. I'm reasonably sure Trump didn't distribute candy by throwing it at his guests. LOL

He was just trying to be Reagan with his jelly beans.

Reagan?
Well, Americans knew Reagan...
Mr. Trump YOU'RE NO RONALD REAGAN!

Reagan was more calmer from videos that I have seen

Both Pence and McCarthy brought this up early in their remarks after the WH meeting broke up. They said it in a way that seemed to convey that this offering carried much weight in the negotiating process.

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...passed-out-candy-and-didnt-raise-his-voice-in

No report if Trump took his candy with him when he left..........

Oh well! That totally validates the fact that Trump was there to sit down, discuss and hammer out one of his 'great deals' that he always brags about. Candy works to resolve any problem, right? If only we knew, we could have sent some candy to Kim jong-un to entice him to de-nuclearize. We could have sent a basket of truffles to Bhasar al-Assad to get him to stop murdering his own people with chlorine gas. Yes, for sure. If Trump brought candy to the meeting there should have been some kind of success.

It just occurred to me that he may have blundered by bringing his own gummy bear candy. That would have been a conversational buzz-kill.

gummy-large.png

Last edited:
That's about as mature as two kids playing jax in the school playground. "hey Chuck, I brought candy so, if you don't give me what I want I'm picking it up and storming out."

Boys_Playing_Jax_Game_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_090513-134237-156042.jpg

Red:
Be that as it may (and sure, I agree with your contextual depiction), a host's affably passing out candy at the start of an event doesn't preclude him/her from subsequently throwing a temper tantrum. I'm reasonably sure Trump didn't distribute candy by throwing it at his guests. LOL

No, I'm totally agreeing it was absurd both to hand out candy, but more so, for Pence to say it in the way Rex is calling out in the OP.
What I wrote in red above was acknowledging in the above was the actual context...which you if you examine it, is STILL terrible.

Of course Trump wasn't angry, he passed out candy! Then was THEN immediately angry when he didn't get his way.

To me, that's just funny. I mean, it's Pence, and it's a Republican...the bar is low...but he sure seems to drag bottom most chances he gets.
That is, when he's not silent like a statue with that half-grin in the background.

He never explicitly stated what he was talking about, aside from guaranteeing that Mexico would pay for it, and still hasn't. He's implied a bunch of contradictory things about it at various times, but never explained exactly how it would work.

There are two possibilities as to why:

1. He didn't want anyone to know what his actual plans were.
2. He didn't have a plan.

If he didn't want anyone to know what his actual plans were, is it possible that he did this so that he could claim that whatever small concession the Democrats ended up giving him (such as increased border security and fence repair) is actually what he was really talking about all along? Is it possible that his supporters would then pretend like they knew this from the get go?

He never explicitly stated what he was talking about, aside from guaranteeing that Mexico would pay for it, and still hasn't. He's implied a bunch of contradictory things about it at various times, but never explained exactly how it would work.

There are two possibilities as to why:

1. He didn't want anyone to know what his actual plans were.
2. He didn't have a plan.

If he didn't want anyone to know what his actual plans were, is it possible that he did this so that he could claim that whatever small concession the Democrats ended up giving him (such as increased border security and fence repair) is actually what he was really talking about all along? Is it possible that his supporters would then pretend like they knew this from the get go?

He has not even stated WHAT IT IS. It exists between his ears and nowhere else. So the boys that support Trump can explain to us how the Congress is to provide funding for something that Trump can't define either by physical type or physical are from one minute to the next and that exists only between his ears.

This was the Catch 22 of "Mexico will pay for it". It engendered this idea of "who cares what it is" as long as Mexico is going to pay for it. Once it became obvious that Mexico is paying for none of it and was never paying for any of it, sorta' blew up that idea. Trump is likely going to end up waiting for Martians to land to pay for it.

He never explicitly stated what he was talking about
Yes, he did. He explicitly stated many, many times that we did not need a 2,000 mile wall. To say otherwise is to be ignorant of the facts.

Yes, he did. He explicitly stated many, many times that we did not need a 2,000 mile wall. To say otherwise is to be ignorant of the facts.

He said that we needed a wall anywhere there wasn't natural barriers, which amounts to 1000 miles and that it will be about 30 to 40 feet high. This is a sea to shining sea barrier to illegal immigration, no?

Is this still the case?

We have a combined 330 miles of pedestrian fence and 299 miles of vehicle barrier. There is a 114 miles of existing fence design that is already budgeted for out of the 2006 act plus 14 miles under construction now.

That is 759 miles of border barrier. Trump has said repeatedly that he wants to cover 1,000 miles with new barrier which is what has been driving the estimates of $25B which IMO are light but they are what they are. 1,000 plus 759 yields 1,759 miles of a 1,954 mile border. That is pretty much the whole darned thing.

Until Trump gets off this idea of trying to bootstrap some nebulous funding onto a CR and actually proposes to Congress, we will never really know what is tumbling around in that gum ball machine mind of his. We do finally know that he is trying to bootstrap 220 miles of new wall funding onto the current CR. So what is that? Do we have any way of knowing that he would be done at 220 new miles? NOPE. Is it just his effort to slip 220 miles onto this one intending to try to bootstrap 220 more miles onto the next one? WHO KNOWS! What we do know is that whatever is tumbling around in Trump's mind comes right out his mouth and when what is tumbling around up there changes, that changes what comes out his mouth which is part of the problem.

He said just this morning that solid construction wall is still an option. Really Donald. So now we are back to not having any earthly idea what he wants to build nor how much of it he wants to build and comments like "some of this in this spot and some of that in that spot" don't help anything. Its the the sort of comment my kid used to make at 5 years old.

Trump has never made a proposal for his new wall funding to congress and that is what is required for New Appropriations. It is the only way we will actually know what the frigg he is talking about and the only way Congress will be able to uphold its constitutional obligations to the purse.

We have a combined 330 miles of pedestrian fence and 299 miles of vehicle barrier. There is a 114 miles of existing fence design that is already budgeted for out of the 2006 act plus 14 miles under construction now.

That is 759 miles of border barrier. Trump has said repeatedly that he wants to cover 1,000 miles with new barrier which is what has been driving the estimates of $25B which IMO are light but they are what they are. 1,000 plus 759 yields 1,759 miles of a 1,954 mile border. That is pretty much the whole darned thing.

Until Trump gets off this idea of trying to bootstrap some nebulous funding onto a CR and actually proposes to Congress, we will never really know what is tumbling around in that gum ball machine mind of his. We do finally know that he is trying to bootstrap 220 miles of new wall funding onto the current CR. So what is that? Do we have any way of knowing that he would be done at 220 new miles? NOPE. Is it just his effort to slip 220 miles onto this one intending to try to bootstrap 220 more miles onto the next one? WHO KNOWS! What we do know is that whatever is tumbling around in Trump's mind comes right out his mouth and when what is tumbling around up there changes, that changes what comes out his mouth which is part of the problem.

He said just this morning that solid construction wall is still an option. Really Donald. So now we are back to not having any earthly idea what he wants to build nor how much of it he wants to build and comments like "some of this in this spot and some of that in that spot" don't help anything. Its the the sort of comment my kid used to make at 5 years old.

Trump has never made a proposal for his new wall funding to congress and that is what is required for New Appropriations. It is the only way we will actually know what the frigg he is talking about and the only way Congress will be able to uphold its constitutional obligations to the purse.
Much of the new fencing is to replace old fencing. It's 1,000 miles total, not 1,759.

He has never explicitly stated what he was talking about.

He said that we needed...1000 miles...Is this still the case?
Yes, 1000 miles, but not with the current budget request which is for something like 200.

Much of the new fencing is to replace old fencing. It's 1,000 miles total, not 1,759.

Until he actually makes a proposal none of us knows what Trump means. Trump does not know what Trump means which makes asking for money for it that much more absurd.

Back
Top Bottom