• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump bluffed hard on his State of the Union, and Pelosi called it

He has already established that there is a crisis.

No he hasnt, not using any reality.

But feel free to show me facts that support a national crisis.

Her constant opposition to him...refusing to negotiate, reneging on her SOTU invitation, etc...leaves him no choice but to take the step he didn't really want to take: Declaring a national emergency to deal with the humanitarian/security crisis on our southern border.

I hope he does, it will be great to have that precedence that a Dem president can you against all you cons. :lamo

No, he hasn't. Border crossings have declined and the current walls are working. Funny it wasn't a "crisis" when Republicans had the house, senate and presidency huh? You cons continue to try and con your way out of things but fail miserably.

What if the major networks dont air it?

Fox will. If they do, the others will get scooped on the story of the year. No rebuttal, no commercial filled analysis. It's all President Trump. Nancy and Chucky can sit in the empty House chambers and play checkers.

Now when Trump does give his SOTU address millions more people will tune in to hear what he has to says. Thanks Nancy for the free Advertising Trump will get a free hour to explain the need for his wall and to bash the obstructionist Dems. ;)

Fox will. If they do, the others will get scooped on the story of the year. No rebuttal, no commercial filled analysis. It's all President Trump. Nancy and Chucky can sit in the empty House chambers and play checkers.

Yes, Fox would. Wasnt sure they were considered 'major.' But nothing would stop the analysis...all the major outlets...online and TV...would be happy to oblige.

And SNL and the late night hosts as well.

Now when Trump does give his SOTU address millions more people will tune in to hear what he has to says. Thanks Nancy for the free Aadveryisment ! Trump will get a free hour to explain the need for his wall and to bash the obstructionist Dems. ;)

What makes you think people wouldnt watch it anyway?

The trainwreck potential is always there, no matter where he speaks or Tweets.

He certainly took his sweet time to decide that possibly, maybe or there soon could be - he has that option, let me tell you - that not having funding for the Great Wall Of Trump (GWOT) added to the deficit was a crisis, bordering closely on becoming a national emergency, no less. No GWOT funding was included in either the 2018 or 2019 'budget' bills put forth by the republicant controlled House. Only after the demorats gained a House majority did Trump discover (find, create or invent?) a crisis, defined as a national emergency, will be (maybe in the future or soon could be, let me tell you) declared.

Of course he backed down almost immediately. He accomplished what he set out to do. He made her commit to something. And she committed in writing. She cannot deny her actions. She can only try to spin them.

And guess what...she gave up her previous pretenses about "security", etc.

More justification for Trump to declare a national emergency.

And what is the emergency? The emergency is that Trump could not get his act together with the "wall issue"before the mid terms.

The magical emergency occurred only after the Dems won the house.

That is not an emergency, that is having a tantrum over the fact that his negotiation position drastically worsened .

Oh they'll watch it. If for no other reason than people love train wrecks.

He certainly took his sweet time to decide that possibly, maybe or there soon could be - he has that option, let me tell you - that not having funding for the Great Wall Of Trump (GWOT) added to the deficit was a crisis, bordering closely on becoming a national emergency, no less. No GWOT funding was included in either the 2018 or 2019 'budget' bills put forth by the republicant controlled House. Only after the demorats gained a House majority did Trump discover (find, create or invent?) a crisis, defined as a national emergency, will be (maybe in the future or soon could be, let me tell you) declared.

IMO he would have done so by now if he was going to. I think his handlers managed to explain this to him, how it would look, maybe it's not even legally justifiable and he'd risk another embarrassing overturn by the courts.

OTOH, if it goes on longer...he might as a desperate move. It's going to grind his gizzard hard to give in on his wall, his monument.

More will watch it to see how he responds to Nancy’s slight than they would have if Nancy just allowed it to happen as she should have. I predict it will have one of the highest rating they usage had. It will be interesting to see if I’m right or not. Controversy always sparks interests.

Bet he doesn’t!

Yep, he sure got her. She as much as flipped him off, his only response was ... YES MAM! :2rofll:

Of course he backed down almost immediately. He accomplished what he set out to do. He made her commit to something. And she committed in writing. She cannot deny her actions. She can only try to spin them.

And guess what...she gave up her previous pretenses about "security", etc.

I don't think that would be a good idea. For one thing, it would be an autocratic power grab that would end up in the courts, and it would make the shutdown pointless. If it really is an emergency (which clearly it is not) why not declare it before causing a shutdown?

He would look like a despotic idiot, which, btw, he basically is.

Unfortunately, all signs in WH responses seem to indicate then, that the shutdown will not happen before Jan. 29. Another week for federal employees to struggle thru :(

"Whether he does that from the halls of Congress or whether he does that in another location, the President will talk to the American people on January 29, as he does nearly every single day," White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in an interview on "Fox & Friends" on Wednesday morning.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23/politics/donald-trump-nancy-pelosi/index.html

IMO he would have done so by now if he was going to. I think his handlers managed to explain this to him, how it would look, maybe it's not even legally justifiable and he'd risk another embarrassing overturn by the courts.

OTOH, if it goes on longer...he might as a desperate move. It's going to grind his gizzard hard to give in on his wall, his monument.

Pelosi is in a very safe state and is virtually assured re-election - so she invented a "moral" reason to no longer fund (additional only?) physical barriers on the border. Pelosi has announced that no matter what she opposes Trump's "immoral" wall or steel slats with really pointy tops. Schumer, it seems, has decided that only after some CRs to re-open the government are passed will he decide whether to be as "moral" as Pelosi.

Now when Trump does give his SOTU address millions more people will tune in to hear what he has to says. Thanks Nancy for the free Advertising Trump will get a free hour to explain the need for his wall and to bash the obstructionist Dems. ;)

And to say what a great job everyone thinks he's doing... during a government shutdown...

Pelosi is in a very safe state and is virtually assured re-election - so she invented a "moral" reason to no longer fund (additional only?) physical barriers on the border. Pelosi has announced that no matter what she opposes Trump's "immoral" wall or steel slats with really pointy tops. Schumer, it seems, has decided that only after some CRs to re-open the government are passed will he decide whether to be as "moral" as Pelosi.

Yeah, I'm not on board with the 'moral/immoral' thing.

But otherwise, GO Nancy and Chuck!

and now he can give it from somewhere else. maybe he can do a very special episode of the Apprentice and give it there. in an exciting twist, the contestant who loses the clapping contest will have to be his new chief of staff.

I say from his WH bed in his PJs, TV on FoxNews in the background and a bucket of fried chicken right by his side in case he needs a snack between lies.

Yeah, I'm not on board with the 'moral/immoral' thing.

But otherwise, GO Nancy and Chuck!

This whole side show over the Great Wall Of Trump (even in it's currently partial form) has kept any discussion of mandating E-Verify quiet. Most, like myself, see the US jobs (which pay as much for a day's work as these illegal immigrants can make working for a week in their homelands) magnet as reason to risk (as slight as it may be) border jumping or visa overstaying.

Last edited:
....class is in session now. I’m not a fan of Pelosi, but I think she will school Trump.

I am also not wild about Pelosi, far from it. I think she should have long ago given up the leadership in the house and staying on as an advisor and support person for the new leader, but I do think she knows how to move government along and how one stands up to the Orange Bully.

Back
Top Bottom