• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump blames California for not taking care of the forests there causing the fires, is it?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In reality the State of California own only 3% of the forest land in California, 3%. A majority of the forest land is owned by the US Federal Government, so as president, Trump is responsible for most of the forest that is on fire. If he is so worried about old leaves being the cause of the fire, it really isn't, then why does Trump not take care of the problem. Maybe because like everything else, he has no idea who owns what out there and should have before he began to open his stupid mouth to blame it on the state. I guess i am just so tired of having a president who knows so little about our country and our constitution.

In reality the State of California own only 3% of the forest land in California, 3%. A majority of the forest land is owned by the US Federal Government, so as president, Trump is responsible for most of the forest that is on fire. If he is so worried about old leaves being the cause of the fire, it really isn't, then why does Trump not take care of the problem. Maybe because like everything else, he has no idea who owns what out there and should have before he began to open his stupid mouth to blame it on the state. I guess i am just so tired of having a president who knows so little about our country and our constitution.

I wonder how many people it would take to rake the forests in Cali? Millions and millions of acres. Does Trump wan't to put forth the manpower for that? It would take one man weeks to rake one acre. That's a joke and not the problem.

When confronted by a clear understanding of Climate Change during Trump's Cali fire farce, err meeting, Trump offers "it will get cooler".

Meaning what Donald?Are you proving again that you don't know the Dif between Whether and Climate? Geezus Donald's stupidity, shamelessness and unscrupulousness is simply a bottomless pit of bad.

Donald is doing his usual, blame others for federal land burning and take no responsibility. His normal MO.

It's almost like he's a Twitter troll and not a competent public administrator.

This explains everything!

California's mis-management is absolutely the reason for the record fires.

They chose not to manage the forests, wanting nature to take care of it. Well, this is nature taking care of it.

They chose not to manage the forests, wanting nature to take care of it. Well, this is nature taking care of it.

3% of the forests in California are state forests. The rest of the forest in California, 97% is on Federal Land. So are you saying Donald has mismanaged the forest?

Donald is doing his usual, blame others for federal land burning and take no responsibility. His normal MO.

Did Obama take the blame for Federal land burning?

Yes I think I remember him and Joe having a conference over a few beers and saying the federal government was responsible for the california wildfires. Michelle even said it was only the second time she was proud of the country.

Were any of the western fires during Obama's 8 years this large, this devastating. Plus forest management is only part of the equation. No matter how much Donald and his ghoulish hordes might continue to deny it, Climate Change is quite clearly the other part of the equation. Donald is quite possibly the world's most prominent Climate Change denier.

3% of the forests in California are state forests. The rest of the forest in California, 97% is on Federal Land. So are you saying Donald has mismanaged the forest?

Well first off, you're lying. The Feds only own 47% of the total acreage in California.

The federal government owns 47.70 percent of California's total land, 47,797,533 acres out of 100,206,720 total acres.

Federal land policy in California - Ballotpedia

Second off, controlled burning isn't being used in California.

California’s Wildfire Policy Totally Backfired. Native Communities Know How to Fix It. – Mother Jones

Third, there's no way the USFS land in California was any more mismanaged in the past three years than before because the wildfires didn't just start happening three years ago.

Were any of the western fires during Obama's 8 years this large, this devastating. Plus forest management is only part of the equation. No matter how much Donald and his ghoulish hordes might continue to deny it, Climate Change is quite clearly the other part of the equation. Donald is quite possibly the world's most prominent Climate Change denier.

Irrelevant. The longer the state took to implement a fire control strategy, the more fuel that's been allowed to accumulate.

Spare us the global warming horse****. California wildfires were still happening back when global cooling was the in thing to worry about.

Academics believe that between 4.4 million and 11.8 million acres burned each year in prehistoric California. Between 1982 and 1998, California’s agency land managers burned, on average, about 30,000 acres a year. Between 1999 and 2017, that number dropped to an annual 13,000 acres. The state passed a few new laws in 2018 designed to facilitate more intentional burning. But few are optimistic this, alone, will lead to significant change. We live with a deathly backlog. In February 2020, Nature Sustainability published this terrifying conclusion: California would need to burn 20 million acres—an area about the size of Maine—to restabilize in terms of fire.

They Know How to Prevent Megafires. Why Won’t Anybody Listen? – Mother Jones

Its simple math.

Well first off, you're lying. The Feds only own 47% of the total acreage in California.

Second off, controlled burning isn't being used in California.

California’s Wildfire Policy Totally Backfired. Native Communities Know How to Fix It. – Mother Jones

Third, there's no way the USFS land in California was any more mismanaged in the past three years than before because the wildfires didn't just start happening three years ago.

I didn't say acreage, I said forest. But I stand corrected. We are both WRONG. 57% of Cali forest is on federal lands. 39% of Cali forest is on private property. The state only holds 3-4% of the forest in the state.

I did not think so much Cali forest would be tied up in Private Property and thus did not consider it. But it is 39%.

So that does not change the premise of my question to you. Are you saying that Trump is mismanaging forests on federal land?

Last edited:

“Wildfires are not new in the United States. In fact, 150 years ago there were probably just as many wildfires as there are today, says Adam Sowards, a professor of history at the University of Idaho.”

Camp Fire Is the Deadliest Wildfire in a Century | Time

From what I’ve researched so far, this appears to be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Record fires?

Camp Fire Is the Deadliest Wildfire in a Century | Time

“Wildfires are not new in the United States. In fact, 150 years ago there were probably just as many wildfires as there are today, says Adam Sowards, a professor of history at the University of Idaho.”

He may be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trump is absolutely right. The left wing tree huggers prevented proper forest management.

Trump is absolutely right. The left wing tree huggers prevented proper forest management.

It would appear that Donald prevents proper forest management. Again the breakdown for forest in Cali is:
57% forest on federal government land
39% forest on private property
3% state forest

Trump is partly right. California has to acknowledge that that they have to completely overhaul their forest management program in light of climate change. Dry forests are the new norm. Rain will decease. Snow packs will decrease. Next year the forests will be even drier than they are now because of global warming. The state Dept of Forestry will have to start cutting down all this dead timber before summer comes. Actually, much of these fires are happening on Federal lands so much of the blame falls on Trump's shoulders. They're his forests; he should be taking his own advice and managing them properly. If it can be demonstrated these fires started on Federal land and then migrated to state forests, then the states should sue the Federal govt. for costs to fight them and to rebuild all the towns that were burned down because of national forest fires..

He actually blamed forest mismanagement for the size and spread of the fires, not California.

Reall, since they own only 3% of the forests, who is doing most of the mismanaging, not California. Do yo actually think only California owned forest land is burning? If you do I have a bridge I want to sell you. If the Feds own the land, they are responsible for managing almost 60% of the forest land and that falls on Trump. You can try and pin the fault on trump as yo think he is not responsible for anything that goes wrong, but if he wants them raked, then he should grab a rake and go to work.

No, but Obama did not try and blame it on California as trump has done for political reasons.

No, but Obama did not try and blame it on California as trump has done for political reasons.

Neither has President Trump. But clearly, you have not read his comments

Back
Top Bottom