• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Backs off on Shutting down Stars & Stripes

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This story grew legs in a hurry and then quickly overwhelmed the "Disrespecter" in Chief as news broke about his intentions.

First the history.
The Pentagon has ordered Stars and Stripes to shut down for no good reason

In a heretofore unpublicized recent memo, the Pentagon delivered an order to shutter Stars and Stripes, a newspaper that has been a lifeline and a voice for American troops since the Civil War. The memo orders the publisher of the news organization (which now publishes online as well as in print) to present a plan that “dissolves the Stars and Stripes” by Sept. 15 including "specific timeline for vacating government owned/leased space worldwide.”

“The last newspaper publication (in all forms) will be September 30, 2020,” writes Col. Paul Haverstick Jr., the memo’s author.
Clearly a wtf moment. One that had senators on both sides of the aisle fuming. Then came the Atlantic article about Trump's, "Losers and suckers" comment.

The reports had added fuel to the controversy over Trump's alleged remarks calling fallen troops "losers."

....leading to the capitulation (7 minutes ago).

Trump says Stars and Stripes will stay funded, following reports the Pentagon was shutting it down - POLITICO
President Donald Trump committed Friday to preserving funding for Stars and Stripes, the military's independent newspaper, following reports that the administration was moving to dissolve the publication.

"The United States of America will NOT be cutting funding to @starsandstripes magazine under my watch. It will continue to be a wonderful source of information to our Great Military!" Trump tweeted Friday.

There are reasons so many of us former Republicans will vote for Biden in November. I'll let you all guess on the first 100 of them.

Dementia Don backing down again.

Another headline created by President Trump. Maybe its another case of Trump being indecisive. Should we have a Commander in Chief that keeps flip flopping?

He can now claim he saved the military newspaper. Next we will hear, "See, I respect my troops"

The decision to shut down Stars and Stripes was made months ago as a budget cut.

The decision to shut down Stars and Stripes was made months ago as a budget cut.

That is what the WO is saying. Interesting that money has been found to restore the funding. Pretty much the same time as the alleged comments made by President regarding our troops.

And yet he has spent tens of millions of dollars of taxpayer money running down to his Florida resort almost every weekend in the winter.
Golf game: Yes
Stars and Stripes: No
Trump values.

The money was needed for Melania's much needed garden renovation.

This story grew legs in a hurry and then quickly overwhelmed the "Disrespecter" in Chief as news broke about his intentions.

First the history.
The Pentagon has ordered Stars and Stripes to shut down for no good reason

Clearly a wtf moment. One that had senators on both sides of the aisle fuming. Then came the Atlantic article about Trump's, "Losers and suckers" comment.

....leading to the capitulation (7 minutes ago).

Trump says Stars and Stripes will stay funded, following reports the Pentagon was shutting it down - POLITICO

There are reasons so many of us former Republicans will vote for Biden in November. I'll let you all guess on the first 100 of them.

Members of the military should never forgive him for this.

Oh I see, you mean like when the White House Global Pandemic Response Team was shut down to save a billion or so?
Never mind that that move wound up costing us TRILLIONS.
Yeah right, it wasn't a budget cut, it was because Stars and Stripes does not answer to top brass and you claim to have served in the military and you don't know that?

The decision to shut down Stars & Stripes is straight out of the Putin playbook and it signals his intention to try the same stunt on civilian news media if he is reelected.

So many conspiracy theorists here. :2razz:

How in Earth can you continue to defend this scumbag? Is there no outrage that he could commit that you would not defend?

You have to believe the leftist propaganda and twisted words to be outraged. I don't. They are proven liars.

You have to believe the leftist propaganda and twisted words to be outraged. I don't. They are proven liars.

We both know somebody who is a proven liar, not to mention who calls dead soldiers losers, and that is DJT.

Another headline created by President Trump. Maybe its another case of Trump being indecisive. Should we have a Commander in Chief that keeps flip flopping?

He can now claim he saved the military newspaper. Next we will hear, "See, I respect my troops"

Or maybe we will find out what he was trying to distract from.

The thing is, there wasn't even a "decision to shut down" the newspaper. There was only a decision to end DOD funding for it. The newspaper gets a lot of funding from the DOD, but not ALL of it's funding. Plus, the newspaper is a private enterprise...not a government enterprise. The DOD CANNOT order the newspaper shut down.

But hey...the Trump haters won't ever let something like facts interfere with their attempts to manufacture lies about the Trump administration. They'll ignore the facts and proceed with the lies.

Are you trying to suggest that it wasn't Trump who made the decision? That it was made by someone else, that Trump didn't know, and now he's fixed someone else's problem? That "the president's request" is a lie, in:

The memo ordering the publication’s dissolution claims the administration has the authority to make this move under the president’s fiscal year 2021 defense department budget request. It zeroed out the $15.5 million annual subsidy for Stars and Stripes. But Congress, which under the Constitution has the power to make decisions about how the public’s money is spent, has not yet approved the president’s request. In fact, the version the House approved earlier this summer explicitly overruled the decision to pull the plug on Stars and Stripes, restoring funding for the paper.

Trump and Stars and Stripes: attacking an American icon

Or is it a dishonest evasion? By objecting based on the reason and timing of the decision, you seek to deflect from the awfulness of the decision, which is the actual point.

At any rate, Trump has people do his dirty work for him, most of the time. That way when wrongdoing blows up he can say he didn't know, and you will repeat it. Ultimately it comes out that he did order whatever wrongdoing it was. But then you just say either "anonymous source nyah nyah nyah can't hear you" or "they just want to lie to victimize Trump".

And whenever a Trump initiate blows up in his face and he flip-flops, you insist he meant to do the right thing all along no matter what happened. Y'know, like promising to release his tax returns then refusing.

You may have willingly allowed this to escape your notice, but it hasn't escaped others'.

The thing is, there wasn't even a "decision to shut down" the newspaper. There was only a decision to end DOD funding for it. The newspaper gets a lot of funding from the DOD, but not ALL of it's funding. Plus, the newspaper is a private enterprise...not a government enterprise. The DOD CANNOT order the newspaper shut down.

But hey...the Trump haters won't ever let something like facts interfere with their attempts to manufacture lies about the Trump administration. They'll ignore the facts and proceed with the lies.

Hopelessly moronic evasion. But then, when are you not running interference for Trump?

Actually I am not sure there is anything more Trumpy this week that Donnie Boy ratting on himself over micro-strokes. Earth to Donnie, nobody alleged that you had suffered from micro-strokes you IDIOT. You let that out all by your lonesome self.

I posted this story in the Military Forum on the day Trump ordered it to be shut down. I was incensed. Stars & Stripes had been published since the Civil War.

He's just back-peddling now because the heat is really on regarding his 'suckers' and 'losers' comment in 2018 about dead US soldiers.

The man is a disgrace. And, it goes way beyond trying to shutter S&S.

I'll let Sully lay out just how far the US has fallen under this goon.
China’s dictator, president-for-life Xi Jinping, has made some efforts to hide his new complex of concentration camps, but he does not appear to be worried. Vladimir Putin, despite the pro forma denials, is also not particularly concerned that he be discovered as a state assassin. In fact, the blatant use of a nerve agent long tied to the Kremlin is a sign that he wants these attempted murders to be attributed to him.

And both dictators know very well that in president Trump, they have an American leader who is actually impressed — rather than repelled — by this kind of state thuggery. Trump has excused Putin’s murderousness in the past by claiming that the US is no different. And Trump, unlike Chancellor Merkel and prime minister Johnson of the UK, has declined to personally condemn Putin’s assassination attempt, although his spokesperson has. Xi knows too that he can get away with anything. Why? Because, according to John Bolton, Trump privately encouraged Xi to continue with the Uighur genocide.

The Metastasizing Cancer Of Trump - The Weekly Dish

H'mmm Destroy the Stars and Stripes, to save money or give up my golfing trips to Mara Logo, einy, meanie, mynie, moe........

I doubt you can understand my point but try. Imagine if Obama tried to shutter Stars and Stripes.

Maybe Steve Bannon could start a charity to keep Stars and Stripes afloat. If you wan't a budget cut, de-fund the wall and leave the pentagon alone.

I doubt you can understand my point but try. Imagine if Obama tried to shutter Stars and Stripes.

I imagine Obama's stupid rules of engagement got a bunch of our troops killed in Iraq. I can easily imagine that.

Back
Top Bottom