• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump asks why US can't use nukes: MSNBC [W: 221]

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/03/trump-asks-why-us-cant-use-nukes-msnbcs-joe-scarborough-reports.html

Trump asks why US can't use nukes: MSNBC
Matthew J. Belvedere

Trump reportedly asks why US can't use nukes: MSNBC

Donald Trump asked a foreign policy expert advising him why the U.S. can't use nuclear weapons, MSNBC's Joe Scarborough said on the air Wednesday, citing an unnamed source who claimed he had spoken with the GOP presidential nominee.

"Several months ago, a foreign policy expert on the international level went to advise Donald Trump. And three times [Trump] asked about the use of nuclear weapons. Three times he asked at one point if we had them why can't we use them," Scarborough said on his "Morning Joe" program.

Scarborough made the Trump comments 52 seconds into an interview with former Director of Central Intelligence and ex-National Security Agency Director Michael Hayden.

Scarborough then asked a hypothetical question to Hayden about how quickly nuclear weapons could be deployed if a president were to give approval.

"It's scenario dependent, but the system is designed for speed and decisiveness. It's not designed to debate the decision," Hayden said.

Its unbelievable...except for the fact that it, being Trump, makes it totally believable.

Every day, another story/statement comes out of Trump that disqualifies him for President.

An unnamed source said something that can't be verified! It must be true!

Meanwhile, did you know that Hillary Clinton adopted a toddler and then strangled it with her bare hands just to watch the light flicker out of it's eyes? An unnamed source confirms the story is true.

Trump has said a lot of crap, but this is by far the most dangerous.

Trump has said a lot of crap, but this is by far the most dangerous.

Interesting... I am trying to imagine the alternative.

Would a candidate that swears they would never, ever, under any circumstance use nuclear weapons be less dangerous?

Meanwhile, did you know that Hillary Clinton adopted a toddler and then strangled it with her bare hands just to watch the light flicker out of it's eyes? An unnamed source confirms the story is true.

Link.

Would a candidate that swears they would never, ever, under any circumstance use nuclear weapons be less dangerous?

No, we have conventional weapons that are just as deadly.

Definitely

Trump probably said this as it's consistent with his previous statements on the use of nuclear weapons, and it's consistent with him being a horrifyingly repugnant human being every other time he's opened his mouth.

Presidential nominees aren't allowed to ask about nuclear weapons that they may have to utilize someday? Seems like an odd rule.

Presidential nominees aren't allowed to ask about nuclear weapons that they may have to utilize someday? Seems like an odd rule.

Presidential nominees shouldn't be confused about why nuclear weapons are bad. He has consistently shown a cavalier attitude toward their use that most sane people would consider "pants-****tingly terrifying."

Like I said,

Its unbelievable...except for the fact that it, being Trump, makes it totally believable.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were true but I just can't take unnamed sources seriously unless there is further evidence to back it up.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were true but I just can't take unnamed sources seriously unless their is further evidence to back it up.

Yup, an unnamed source is an unnamed source. It is not, however, inconsistent with what he has said in the past on this issue. I'll just leave it at that until we have more solid information.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/03/trump-asks-why-us-cant-use-nukes-msnbcs-joe-scarborough-reports.html

Every day, another story/statement comes out of Trump that disqualifies him for President.

If it were not Trump asking the question and the context were right, the question would be totally to the point. I am becoming increasingly convinced that the probability of the use of nuclear weapons is growing and that it might be necessary to use them in the not all to distant future, if we do not get a hold on the challenges of international security. As we are going right now, we are exactly on the trajectory that some of the 1990s analysis had projected. These simulations ended in nuclear war.

No, we have conventional weapons that are just as deadly.

By definition we do not - a weapon that has the destructive capacity of an Atomic bomb (like, one of the little ones we dropped on Japan) is a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

Presidential nominees shouldn't be confused about why nuclear weapons are bad. He has consistently shown a cavalier attitude toward their use that most sane people would consider "pants-****tingly terrifying."
Sounds like you're reading a lot more,into the exchange than ehatbeas reported second or third hand. I could see someone asking about those kinds of issues if they had never had exposure to the concept of nuclear weapons before.

Sounds like you're reading a lot more,into the exchange than ehatbeas reported second or third hand. I could see someone asking about those kinds of issues if they had never had exposure to the concept of nuclear weapons before.

Yeah. See. That's sort of the issue. We expect Presidents to know basic things, like what a nuclear weapon is, and how to identify America on a map.

I'm reading into it the thing that he said (allegedly). People who weren't grown in a test tube in an evil laboratory know why nuclear weapons are bad and why we shouldn't use them. Trump has shown exactly the level of narcissism, lack of self-awareness and sociopathy that allows me to accept that he approaches the idea of the use of wmd's cavalierly.

Here's an example of where he said it, but sort of walked it back a while ago.

msnbc townhall

TRUMP: Look, nuclear should be off the table. But would there be a time when it could be used, possibly, possibly?

MATTHEWS: OK. The trouble is, when you said that, the whole world heard it. David Cameron in Britain heard it. The Japanese, where we bombed them in '45, heard it. They're hearing a guy running for president of the United States talking of maybe using nuclear weapons. Nobody wants to hear that about an American president.

TRUMP: Then why are we making them? Why do we make them? We had (inaudible).

If you'd like to read the section completely in context, I suggest ctrl+f nuclear.

Back
Top Bottom