• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump announces travel ban from Europe amid growing fears of coronavirus

SLC

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Trump announces travel ban from Europe amid growing fears of coronavirus | Fox News

President Trump announced Wednesday that he will be suspending all travel from Europe to the U.S. for 30 days starting Friday at midnight in an effort to quell the spread of coronavirus.

His address from the Oval Office comes hours after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared a global pandemic and the number of confirmed cases in the U.S. climbed to more than 1,000.

Trump said the new travel exemptions do not apply to the United Kingdom.

=====================================================

Wow this is going to be interesting . I bet the Democrats heads are going to explode.

Trump announces travel ban from Europe amid growing fears of coronavirus | Fox News

President Trump announced Wednesday that he will be suspending all travel from Europe to the U.S. for 30 days starting Friday at midnight in an effort to quell the spread of coronavirus.

His address from the Oval Office comes hours after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared a global pandemic and the number of confirmed cases in the U.S. climbed to more than 1,000.

Wow this is going to be interesting .

Brexit for the win, eh?

Okay, the horse is out of the barn and 5 miles down the road. We can lock the gate now.

Brexit for the win, eh?

You didn't expect him to do anything right, did you? In the middle of a pandemic, he's still being petulant that Macron laughed at him.

Wow this is going to be interesting . I bet the Democrats heads are going to explode.

How hard is it to fly to Heathrow from anywhere in Europe?

Meanwhile, continue to look to the White House for guidance:

Pence says he and Trump will continue to shake hands despite coronavirus
Vice President Pence on Tuesday said the Trump campaign will determine on a day-to-day basis whether to continue holding campaign rallies and said he and President Trump would continue shaking hands even as public health officials warn of the risks of both amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Why are the heads going to explode? Its good news that our fearless follower has finally caught up and is taking this seriously. Perhaps he finally gets that his slim chance of re-election has just about evaporated from his hapless leadership to date.

While I have no real opinion on the specific merits of this particular move, it is a strong move to impede the spread of the disease. I am simply thrilled that he has moved beyond denial.

Whatever his reasons for joining the world of the sanity which is trying to combat the spread of this virus, I say "welcome aboard, Donnie!"

Last edited:
Unfortunately for the administration, the speech was not specific enough, nor was it accurately read by the President.

DHS: U.S. is suspending entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries in the past 14 days, with many exceptions. The suspension does not apply to legal permanent residents...immediate family members of US citizens, and other individuals listed. It also does not apply to cargo.

https://twitter.com/FridaGhitis/status/1237922908913238021

And whatever reporter you can find on Twitter sharing this clarification.

No, my friend. It's classic trumpian misdirect. He wants us all to waste time debating the wisdom of the travel ban in order to try to get us to forget where his leadership has failed, vis a vis:

1. The ill-preparedness of his administration to address this pandemic and;

1. a. After all this time - the lack of availability of proper testing!

It's not going to work this time!

Wow I can't imagine how much ticket would cost if you are going to be like only 1 of a dozen people on a Boeing. Anyway, I am totally boycotting Italian restaurants until this thing is over just to be safe.

Unfortunately for the administration, the speech was not specific enough, nor was it accurately read by the President.

DHS: U.S. is suspending entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries in the past 14 days, with many exceptions. The suspension does not apply to legal permanent residents...immediate family members of US citizens, and other individuals listed. It also does not apply to cargo.

https://twitter.com/FridaGhitis/status/1237922908913238021

And whatever reporter you can find on Twitter sharing this clarification.

So basically it's worthless...

Naah, it's just the same ol' ineptitude. Yesterday COVID-19 was nothing to worry about, today it's so serious that we have to (foolishly) throttle flights from Continental Europe (even though the virus is already in the US), but the Trump campaign is still talking about planning rallies.

We've known for a long time now that Trump was the wrong person to have in the White House during a crisis. He hasn't surprised anyone with his repeated failures with COVID-19.

How hard is it to add the UK to the travel ban list?
Travel bans don't stop diseases. It's just security theater.

It's also a teeny bit late, since COVID-19 is already in the US.

So basically it's worthless...

*shrug*

To borrow Bones,

I'm a disability service professional and a trained historian, not a doctor!

Okay, the horse is out of the barn and 5 miles down the road. We can lock the gate now.

Let’s say I’m in FRA and need to be in JFK. All I’ll need to do is to buy a separate ticket FRA-LHR, then onwards to JFK. This ban doesn’t make sense.

They will check the passport and ban anyone that isn't from the UK.

Further clarification, does not apply to US citizens or legal residents....

We know it will spread slower if we stop people from Italy etc form coming into the US.

How hard is it to add the UK to the travel ban list?

What's the pint of a travel ban if there is a gapping hole in it? Another symbolic jester designed to punish those he does not like. Why is it so hard for him to do something for the greater good?

Good news, wish it had happened earlier. Most of the cases in the US can be tied to travel to/from Europe where things are much worse.

Further clarification, does not apply to US citizens or legal residents....

So Americans contracting the virus are OK to travel back?

Really? How did that disease get here?

They will check the passport and ban anyone that isn't from the UK.

The UK has the virus as well. Why is he kissing up to Boris for?

Back
Top Bottom