• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump announces commission to further 'patriotic education'

On this point only
This is exactly what Hitler instituted 'patriotic' education. He needs to keep his nose out of our education system. I don't want anyone who had to pay someone to take his SAT to be involved in what our education is or isn't. What I do not want, is for our children to be lied to about what our history is and isn't. We don't need to cherry coat everything...our history has some very ugly moments as well as some beautiful ones. We need to learn and understand those moments in our history...hind sight is 20/20

That same thought occurred to me. In fact, the same type of "educational reform" has been attempted by every despot and dictator from time immemorial.

Given Mr. Trump's seeming admiration for "strongmen" and/or dictators, that Mr. Trump would want to see this type of "educational reform" carried out shouldn't have surprised anyone.

Now all that is required is to set up the mechanism to ensure that all of the "histories" contain ONLY "the authorized facts" (with possession of such "thought crime" spawning material as books that do not accurately reflect the latest version of the currently operative, officially sanctioned, "Imperial Presidency" approved, White House issued, truth-of-the-day being punished severely.

There's that ministry of truth / re-education camp that Trumpists love to accuse "the left" of wanting.

Funny how they keep doing the things they accuse everyone else of, huh?

The psychological term is "projection".

However there is no doubt that the Teacher's Unions are Leftist and they are turning out dumber people every year.

Always blame the teachers. Always call the teacher lefties.

BS on your belch.

Think of it for a moment. The same teachers that had dummies in their class also had some of the smartest scientists and engineers in the world.

Maybe the smart ones had parents who took an interest in their education.

Then look at Trump. Had opportunity to attend some of the finest schools in the nation and never had to want for the best school supplies. And how did he turn out? He is so stupid he believed our Revolutionary Armies took control of the airport from the British. Of course I have a feeling you would be thinking "So".

I've been saying for a long time that handing over the educational system over to the leftists in the country was our biggest mistake. Now they treat white kids, especially white little boys, like they need to apologize for being white. Here's an example:

" Black Lives Matter propaganda is an officially endorsed part of the curriculum for children in one Pennsylvania school district. The Washington Free Beacon revealed that “Gladwyne Elementary School — located in Lower Merion School District, one of the richest in the nation — will require fourth and fifth graders to read ‘Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness,’ which claims that white people who relate to police officers or decline to watch the news are complicit in racism.”
http://newshourfirst.com/2020/08/16...tching-the-news-is-a-form-of-white-supremacy/

Maybe you'd like to read that horrendous "Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness" rather than simply parrotting what you have been told to say about it?

But I doubt it.

Their argument that the American Revolution was fundamentally about preserving slavery for one.

The American Revolution was NOT "fundamentally about preserving slavery".

What the American Revolution WAS "fundamentally about" was whether the London based socioeconomic elite would get the riches to be made from the burgeoning colonies or whether the socioeconomic elite that was based in the colonies would get those riches. There was no (important) change in the way that the colonial societies actually operated other than the replacement of a London based socioeconomic elite as the class with a colonial based socioeconomic elite as the ruling class.

Slavery was an integral part of the colonial societies actually operated and neither the "Patriots" nor the "Loyalists" actually gave any thought to abolishing it. Since BOTH sides were intent on "preserving the existing society" then BOTH sides could be said (with a whole lot of tortious logical twists) have been "fighting to preserve slavery". In actuality, NEITHER side was "fighting to preserve slavery" - slavery "just was".

Both sides did offer slaves their freedom in return for military service. The winning side didn't bother to honour those promises. The losing side did (sort of) and is now (over 225 years later) in the process of finalizing the paperwork.

President Trump on Thursday described America’s heritage and history as under assault from the left, decrying anti-racism teachings and "cancel culture" while announcing plans for a new commission to promote "patriotic education" in U.S. schools.
In a speech delivered in somber tones at the National Archives Museum, Trump painted a dramatic and dark portrait of an effort by liberals to “indoctrinate” America’s children and repress American values, culture and faith.

Trump announces commission to further '''patriotic education'''

This is disturbing on multiple levels.

What the heck is Patriotic Education? And, shouldn't Trump and the Senate have put a stop to liberals indoctrinating children if they've known about it for 3 years?

Always blame the teachers. Always call the teacher lefties.

BS on your belch.

Think of it for a moment. The same teachers that had dummies in their class also had some of the smartest scientists and engineers in the world.

Maybe the smart ones had parents who took an interest in their education.

Then look at Trump. Had opportunity to attend some of the finest schools in the nation and never had to want for the best school supplies. And how did he turn out? He is so stupid he believed our Revolutionary Armies took control of the airport from the British. Of course I have a feeling you would be thinking "So".
More evidence, The teachers are lefties and Donald Trump is not the topic. https://www.amazon.ca/Deliberate-Dumbing-Abridged-Charlotte-2011-05-03/dp/B01FGMTF02

that isn't true either.
Who were the other 'major' Democrats? The point is that the great majority of Dixiecrats, like Robert Byrd, remained within the Democratic Party.

More evidence, The teachers are lefties and Donald Trump is not the topic. https://www.amazon.ca/Deliberate-Dumbing-Abridged-Charlotte-2011-05-03/dp/B01FGMTF02
Do you work in a school system so that you know teachers are "lefties"? I'm a retired teacher. I've been membership chairman, negotiator and president of our Teachers Association. It was my job to have a sense for party affiliate of all teachers in the district. What I know is that teachers usually mirror the dominant political party of the city or state they live in. Nationally I would say that teachers vote 40% Republican 50% Democratic and 10% something else( libertarian, Independent, Green, whatever). Public education in the US is fairly traditional and no sane teacher brings their politics into the class room. It's illegal and they can be fired for doing so. The texts used in most public schools are driven by the Texas Book Committee. The Committee has never been known as anything but conservative.

Public education in the US is all locally determined. You elected the school board that hired the superintendents, principals and teachers. That same school board that you elected chose the text with the help of a community based committee. Did you serve on that committee? The school policy was designed by your school board members as was the curriculum, the discipline policy. Your school board negotiated with the teachers for salary and a limited number of working conditions. If you do not like the public education in your town or state you have nobody to blame but yourself because you elected the school boards, both local and state.

Oh, you didn't vote in that election because it wasn't important to you? So why are you complaining?

Do you work in a school system so that you know teachers are "lefties"? I'm a retired teacher. I've been membership chairman, negotiator and president of our Teachers Association. It was my job to have a sense for party affiliate of all teachers in the district. What I know is that teachers usually mirror the dominant political party of the city or state they live in. Nationally I would say that teachers vote 40% Republican 50% Democratic and 10% something else( libertarian, Independent, Green, whatever). Public education in the US is fairly traditional and no sane teacher brings their politics into the class room. It's illegal and they can be fired for doing so. The texts used in most public schools are driven by the Texas Book Committee. The Committee has never been known as anything but conservative.

Public education in the US is all locally determined. You elected the school board that hired the superintendents, principals and teachers. That same school board that you elected chose the text with the help of a community based committee. Did you serve on that committee? The school policy was designed by your school board members as was the curriculum, the discipline policy. Your school board negotiated with the teachers for salary and a limited number of working conditions. If you do not like the public education in your town or state you have nobody to blame but yourself because you elected the school boards, both local and state.

Oh, you didn't vote in that election because it wasn't important to you? So why are you complaining?
This is a good indication of where teacher's political leanings lie. https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/recips.php?cycle=2020&ind=l1300

This is a good indication of where teacher's political leanings lie. https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/recips.php?cycle=2020&ind=l1300

I was addressing your accusation that teachers were leftist not whether the NEA supported Democratic candidates. Democrats support public education funding and the Republican Party Platform goes out of its way to advocate funding private education over public education. Naturally NEA's political funding would go to people that support public education. Why are you surprised? How much do you actually know about American public education?

Now all that is required is to set up the mechanism to ensure that all of the "histories" contain ONLY "the authorized facts"

No, ensure that all of the "histories" contain only history. Author of 1619 Project has admitted that its not history and yet schools are teaching it as history. Critical race theory relies heavily on stories and parables to shape opinion. Its not history. Its propaganda.

I was addressing your accusation that teachers were leftist not whether the NEA supported Democratic candidates. Democrats support public education funding and the Republican Party Platform goes out of its way to advocate funding private education over public education. Naturally NEA's political funding would go to people that support public education. Why are you surprised? How much do you actually know about American public education?
People with money never send their children to public schools, and for good reason. https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/recips.php?cycle=2020&ind=l1300

Many people who live in countries other than the US feel that their country has "gotten closer than anyone else" too.

The "American Dream" and the "American Ideal" (neither of which is actually the sole property of the United States of America) are great things and one of the things that America can be very proud of is the way that it has progressed from the type of society that the Founding Fathers actually set up (as opposed to what innocent young school children are told they set up).

Pax Romana lasted for around 200 years.

Pax Britannica lasted for around 100 years.

Pax Statemate lasted for around 50 years.

Pax Americana has lasted for around 30 years.

The lifespans of "global peacekeeping empires" keeps on getting shorter and shorter.
[/QUOTE]

You're right and there's nothing wrong with that.

Does Canada have a school curriculum that trashed Canada because of slavery and that racism is ingrained in Canadian culture? Would that even be allowed?

I presume that you have already read "The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America" but some other might not have so HERE IS A LINK to a PDF of it. It's only 738 pages long and, since it was published in 1999 is, obviously, the latest word on the subject and shows the insidious conspiracy that stretches all the way back to Jean-Jacques Rousseau's "Emile" (Chex Jean Neaulme Duchesne: A. Amsterdam - Paris, 1792) in which that communist "social contract" was given its first treasonous espousal.

PS - Did you know that "Conscience Press" has issued a grand total of two books in 21 years? Did you know that the other book is a collection of short (fiction) stories?

Last edited:
You're right and there's nothing wrong with that.

Does Canada have a school curriculum that trashed Canada because of slavery and that racism is ingrained in Canadian culture? Would that even be allowed?

Until fairly recently the elementary and middle school curricula didn't even mention that slavery existed in Canada. At no point in time was slavery ever a major part of the economic foundation of the country.

As you are, no doubt, aware

In Canada, the colonial economy did not favour the growth of slavery because the economy’s two principal industries required little manual labour: The fur trade was controlled by a small group of professionals and essentially relied on the labour of Native fur trappers. Manual labour in families was sufficient for small farming operations. Furthermore, the purchase of an Aboriginal or Black slave was an unaffordable expense for settler-proprietors. A Black slave cost from 800 to 1000 pounds, that is, twice as much as an Aboriginal slave. In the 18th century, the annual average income of an unskilled worker was about 100 pounds. That of a bona fide artisan was from 200 to 400 pounds.
[SOURCE]

[NOTE - £900 in the late 1700s would work out to be the rough equivalent of $540,000 in 2020 dollars.​

and no civil war was required in Canada in order to effect the abolishing of slavery.

In short, Canada was (through a concatenation of circumstances) NOT"founded upon slavery" as some other countries were.

That being said, Canadian history (as is the history of many countries) filled with examples of things which would be totally unacceptable in any 21st Century society - even though they were quite acceptable (or at least tolerated) in the times that they occurred.

Now if you are going to expect me to rend my clothes and moan with guilt over something that someone who is 200 years dead did, you are going to have a very long wait. I have no personal guilt nor responsibility for what happened more than 200 years prior to my birth - my responsibility is to do what I can to make sure that there is no CURRENT suffering arising from it.

Where is the verifiable evidence I asked you for to support your personal pontification that the 1619 effort was communism?
The 1619 project isn’t communism... its critical race theory, post-modernism and identity politics all rolled up into one. It just happens to be that marxists view the world through a post-modern lenses and also love to play Identity politics.... as well meaning as the 1619 project may be, When people play identity politics.... they usually end up stacking corpses by the tens of millions!!!!
there can be no doubt that the history of slavery and Jim Crow have had a direct impact on the situation of black culture today! But I strongly believe that identity politics isn’t the way out. Indeed, it can only make things worse.

The 1619 project isn’t communism... its critical race theory, post-modernism and identity politics all rolled up into one. It just happens to be that marxists view the world through a post-modern lenses and also love to play Identity politics.... as well meaning as the 1619 project may be, When people play identity politics.... they usually end up stacking corpses by the tens of millions!!!!
there can be no doubt that the history of slavery and Jim Crow have had a direct impact on the situation of black culture today! But I strongly believe that identity politics isn’t the way out. Indeed, it can only make things worse.

Both major parties play a bit of identity politics.

Donald Trump has already forgotten about his Commission to dictate the Trump version of history.

It, along with the orchestrated swipe at the 1619 Project, was designed to gin up the white racist base by appealing to the old “brainwashed by ”liberal” teachers” trope that right wingers and bigots have been repeating to each other for 75 years.

Times may change, but the right wing tropes are as dependable as weeds in a garden.

And they are powerful draws for people looking for easy answer that they can repeat to nodding heads without using their brains or learning anything.

This is where Trump aimed his divisive arrow.

And, as this thread proves, it hit its intended target.

Maybe you'd like to read that horrendous "Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness" rather than simply parrotting what you have been told to say about it?

But I doubt it.

Prejudice isn't racism. Jesse Jackson admits at night on the street hes more concerned coming upon a couple of black guys and not concerned when its white guys. This is the result of his collective experience and knowledge. He is more likely to be mugged by two black guys than he is to be mugged by two white guys. This isn't racism, its prejudiced. He prejudged those two men based upon the color of their skin. Just as he wouldn't have any concern if it was two women of any color. Not because of misandry against men and instead prejudice against men, by a man. And while prejudice is bad, its the result of blacks being 2.4 times as likely to engage in violent crime and not because of whiteness, it effects Jessie Jackson equally. We can work to reduce prejudice but screaming racist at the whites is about 180 degrees off the mark.
This is critical race theory BS.

Donald Trump has already forgotten about his Commission to dictate the Trump version of history.

It, along with the orchestrated swipe at the 1619 Project, was designed to gin up the white racist base...….

What BS. Critical race theory by design is intended to gin up the racial divide and Trump is putting and end to that in the federal government.

It is Neo- Marxism. The same collective society is the goal

Slavery was an integral part of the colonial societies actually operated and neither the "Patriots" nor the "Loyalists" actually gave any thought to abolishing it.

Central theme of the 1619 project was that the patriots fought the Revolutionary war in order to preserve slavery. Although its clearest statement of that claim was among the edits she has made to the original publication.

Back
Top Bottom