• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump announces commission to further 'patriotic education'

I always thought the pledge was pretty disturbing but added with this.... wow

You won’t see a commission.

You won’t see any “details”

This is a throwaway to a Trumpster mob.

That’s all. It was intended to play to white resentment.

And, if you’ve been following this thread, it worked on the target audience.
Oh, I already knew that, I was just wondering if anyone had any actual details, maybe they will be presented when that new healthcare coverage plan is presented.....

That's a bunch of drivel. Is there some passage you find compelling? He's favorably quoting the most ignorant person about our history to ever sit in the oval office.

He did get in a nonsensical rant against Susan Rice. Compelling!!

Hilariously, he calls himself an ‘historian’.

Slavery wasn't ignored at the school I went to.

I said it was "all but" ignored. Sure, we covered slavery, and how the civil war wasn't about that. It was. That was a lie propagated by the Lost Cause people.

Friendly FYI, social justice warriors aren't on anybody's side but their own. A little off topic, I know.
Back to it, here's a small review of the book.

"Not My Idea, the latest in the critically-acclaimed Ordinary Terrible Things series, is a book about whiteness.

A white child sees TV news coverage of a white police officer shooting a brown person whose hands were up. Upset, he asks his mother why; she deflects, assuring him that he is safe. Later, they visit an aunt and uncle, where the TV, always on, shows a rally in response to the police shooting. The child glimpses a moving press conference with the victim’s family while his aunt claims she simply “can’t watch the news.”

The book’s narrator accompanies the child as he faces history and himself. The activities section urges kids to grow justice (“like a bean sprout in a milk carton”) inside of themselves, seek out and listen to the truth about racism and white supremacy, and prepare to be changed, heartbroken, and liberated by this experience."

I don't need the school system my tax dollars pay for to be used as a political tool for indoctrination. I raised my children to respect all people that should be respected regardless of race. The narrative about the United States being founded on racism and white supremacy is crap. The DOI is the ideals we aspire to. Slavery was wrong, we fought a war over it, and won. Hundreds of thousands of white men died fighting to defeat slavery. Thousands of white people assisted slaves in escaping their plantation. Teach history, Jim Crow, lynching, and all the evil. But I don't believe kids in elementary school need to be humiliated and "taught how to deal with their "whiteness", and read a " compassionate primer to assist children (and parents) past defensiveness." JMHO

If you raised your kids the way you say, then I don’t see why you would think they would feel humiliated by the book, in fact they should feel proud of you. The fact remains though that there are still millions of racists in this country.

It can not be denied that slavery was implicitly and explicitly condoned in the original Constitution and practiced by many of the founding fathers. It was not officially prohibited by the constitution until 1865. Racism was widely practiced and officially condoned until 1964. We have come a long way, but we haven’t yet after so many years fully embraced the DOI. Personally I don’t see how our kids will be harmed by the truth. JMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it?

Trump went to school, but obviously didn’t get much of an education. Many in his base has that in common with him.

Thomas Edison demonstrated the first incandescent light bulb with a filament that would last long enough to be practical. He wasn’t the only one working on it. So was Alexander Graham Bell, Hiram Maxim, George Brush, Latimer, and several others. A light bulb with similar performance to Edison’s was demonstated in England at almost the same time.

Edison invented the delivery system and the layout of circuits.

Edison also had the advantage of a brand name and strong financial banking from J.P. Morgan.

So, you can have the comic book history folks half paid attention to in high school, or the real thing.
Except Biden added to that, claiming it was a black man who invented the lightbulb. Which has no basis in history

I see, so they did correct the claim, but it wasn't public enough or something? Should there be a public shaming?

You don't agree with..... something, so it's a "great lie." That's the bottom line. And to prove it you have a bunch of bare links of people who agree with YOU, and ignore those who take a different view. GOOD FAITH on your part!!
I don't concede there has been any correction at all. But what is indisputable is that there has been nothing at the decibel level of the introduction. Public shaming not necessary; public apology would be appropriate. I'm comfortable with the eminent historians whose view I share.

That's a bunch of drivel. Is there some passage you find compelling? He's favorably quoting the most ignorant person about our history to ever sit in the oval office.

He did get in a nonsensical rant against Susan Rice. Compelling!!
I don't think it's drivel at all, and a gas bag that even Trump can puncture is not impressive. As for Trump himself, as I learned back in Indiana, "Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Its funny watching the idiot leftists shrieking about 'indoctrination' while they have been spoon fed leftist bullshit from the womb by the school systems, universtites, and media with all their revisionsit hysterical garbage,

I don't concede there has been any correction at all.

OK, then you don't care enough to check that there has been. Not surprising....

But what is indisputable is that there has been nothing at the decibel level of the introduction. Public shaming not necessary; public apology would be appropriate. I'm comfortable with the eminent historians whose view I share.

Of course you're comfortable with people who agree with you. That doesn't make you correct or the 1619 project a "great lie." If disagreeing with YOU means something is a great lie, then you're the arbiter of 'truth' and no one cares about your views. There are 'eminent historians' who participated in the project and who disagree, which according to you makes them 'liars' because you don't agree with their interpretation. It's BS of course.

One purpose of a project like that is discussion and debate, especially since so much of what we ARE taught is biased and writes slavery and blacks in general out of that history except as footnotes - 'slavery was bad - that ended.' You're in Virginia I think - what did you learn about Jim Crow in HS? Not much here in TN except that the CRA and VRA ended it. What about the discrimination in farm loans that caused lots of small black farmers to get denied loans available to white farmers, and so lost their land? Etc....

OK, then you don't care enough to check that there has been. Not surprising....

Of course you're comfortable with people who agree with you. That doesn't make you correct or the 1619 project a "great lie." If disagreeing with YOU means something is a great lie, then you're the arbiter of 'truth' and no one cares about your views. There are 'eminent historians' who participated in the project and who disagree, which according to you makes them 'liars' because you don't agree with their interpretation. It's BS of course.

One purpose of a project like that is discussion and debate, especially since so much of what we ARE taught is biased and writes slavery and blacks in general out of that history except as footnotes - 'slavery was bad - that ended.' You're in Virginia I think - what did you learn about Jim Crow in HS? Not much here in TN except that the CRA and VRA ended it. What about the discrimination in farm loans that caused lots of small black farmers to get denied loans available to white farmers, and so lost their land? Etc....
I grew up in Indiana, in a rural/small town county in the southern end of the state. We were taught (1950's-60's) that slavery was indisputably the cause of the Civil War. We were taught that the abandonment of Reconstruction and the proliferation of Jim Crow were betrayals of the promise created by Lincoln's vision and Union victory.

As for 1619, I don't know any participant I would describe as eminent. And I see the principal author and the NYT are trying to rewrite their own history.

1600797057608.jpeg
1600797057633.pngReason
1619 Project Author Nikole Hannah-Jones Now Says She Never Implied That Year Was

If you raised your kids the way you say, then I don’t see why you would think they would feel humiliated by the book, in fact they should feel proud of you. The fact remains though that there are still millions of racists in this country.

"It can not be denied that slavery was implicitly and explicitly condoned in the original Constitution and practiced by many of the founding fathers. It was not officially prohibited by the constitution until 1865. Racism was widely practiced and officially condoned until 1964. We have come a long way, but we haven’t yet after so many years fully embraced the DOI. Personally I don’t see how our kids will be harmed by the truth. JMHO."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The part of your post I put in italics is now, and has always been, at least since I went to school, taught in public school. My kids won't be influenced by this book as my oldest is 43 and my youngest is 21. Teaching that racism is wrong, as well as any type of bigotry, is fine. But as soon as it is framed as a particular race needs to be taught to overcome racist parents, or to not be defensive, or is guilty of a specific type of racism like "white supremacy", it is only natural to feel singled out. Kids are cruel. How do you think that truism may play out, after they are taught that your white ancestors lynched my black ancestors, and those people exist now, to use your words, by the millions? My kids are proud of me. I'm speaking to the parents that have kids, like my grandchildren in school now. Do you really believe that after being taught US History, the kids actually need a book to teach them how not to be racist? I don't.

which has zero to do with our history. Again, your sheltered world, because if you fail to address and admit all of our history you are running from it.
I graduated in 1973. I was taught about slavery, lynching, the KKK, Jim Crow, etc. I went to school and grew up in majority black city. I'm not sure what it is you think I am missing.

Wasn't this once called "Civics Education"? Do schools still teach this?
You are correct. I graduated in '73. They teach government now days, but if you remember all the hippies from our day, they are now the teachers at the colleges that produce the teachers for K-12. They are pushing stuff like CRT. No, not cardiac rescue technician. "Critical Race Theory". The operative word being "theory". Here's a little snippit. : "
"Critical race theory (CRT) is an intellectual movement that seeks to understand how
white supremacy as a legal, cultural, and political condition is reproduced and main-
tained, primarily in the US context."

That, along with the 1619 "project" and this book on so called "whiteness", is the crap the elite leftists are pushing on our kids. We better wake up before this stuff and BLM "Transforms" America into what they believe will be a Marxist utopia.

The USA didn't evolve out of the Spanish colonial system. So the importance of de Leon, and other Spanish conquisadors, is limited to as people who explored and mapped out aspects of what became the USA. Stuff like Mr. Garrido was also present isn't really relevant to anything in a basic, general core survey of US history, beyond local trivia in Florida.
the contributions and efforts of the Spanish, French and so forth are all what created this nation....Florida, Louisiana, California, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico...in fact more than half of this nation had nothing to do with pilgrims.

Juan Garrido wasn't a slave, so I'm not sure what your point is.
can you point out where I said he was? I said he was the first documented black person to set foot on this soil....are you really going to try to push your way out of admitting this is so?

A few isolated examples don't cancel out the centuries of the atrocities of slavery; whipping, lynching, rape...
Of course not but were you not taught that these atrocities occurred? And, as well, they were committed by Democrats. They should also be paying for any reparations.

No. The events you described were well known before the 1619 Project and don't make its case.
what doesn't make sense? Why should we leave this out of our history? Would you like to point out where any of us were taught any of this? I sure wasn't...I had to learn on my own after I graduated...and all of my books were filled with white men...and glory stories of Columbus that did not even point out he did not come to the US mainland.

I grew up in Indiana, in a rural/small town county in the southern end of the state. We were taught (1950's-60's) that slavery was indisputably the cause of the Civil War. We were taught that the abandonment of Reconstruction and the proliferation of Jim Crow were betrayals of the promise created by Lincoln's vision and Union victory.

Good for you. Much of the country, including the former CSA, was taught something else, a "great lie" if you will. They're still taught it - we see the "great lie" regurgitated on every thread the confederacy or the flag or the monuments. Odd that the 1619 opponents don't give a damn about those 'great lies.'

As for 1619, I don't know any participant I would describe as eminent. And I see the principal author and the NYT are trying to rewrite their own history.

Who cares how you'd describe them. If they don't agree with you, they are propagating a "great lie" apparently, so by definition not "eminent" in your view.

I'm not following your bare links. If you have a point, quote it. It appears they're focusing on a semantic difference about the 'true' founding of America. The country was founded in 1776.... The 1619 claim doesn't dispute that but refers to a more ideological point.

I don't think it's drivel at all, and a gas bag that even Trump can puncture is not impressive. As for Trump himself, as I learned back in Indiana, "Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Well, quote what you found compelling. Looked like partisan hackery from my seat. The gratuitous shot at Susan Rice wasn't necessary except in that light.

President Trump on Thursday described America’s heritage and history as under assault from the left, decrying anti-racism teachings and "cancel culture" while announcing plans for a new commission to promote "patriotic education" in U.S. schools.
In a speech delivered in somber tones at the National Archives Museum, Trump painted a dramatic and dark portrait of an effort by liberals to “indoctrinate” America’s children and repress American values, culture and faith.

Trump announces commission to further '''patriotic education'''

This is disturbing on multiple levels.
Cool, REEDUCATION CAMPS! NOW WE'RE JUST LIKE CHINA! YAY FOR TRUMP'S "DEMOCRACY"!

View attachment 67296061
View attachment 67296060Reason
1619 Project Author Nikole Hannah-Jones Now Says She Never Implied That Year Was
Those people who publish their feelings as historical fact are always having to backtrack when they're challenged by people who have the facts. The question though is how many other feelings or opinions are being taught in public schools as facts,and that should be investigated,

Kudos to President Trump on his efforts to stop cancel culture and all the other craziness that has gripped this nation since the Dems retook the House.

Sadly, the commission will barely have three months of life.

It is clear that the Dems will win the Executive & Legislative branches, for the leftist media have successfully indoctrinated many Americans into believing that they are bigots if they fail to support the Dem agenda.

Starting in 2021 under the Harris-Biden administration, we may have to kneel at the beginning of each work day, and libraries may be cleared of any books that do not meet the approval of BLM, the DNC, & MSNBC. Needless to say, we ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to Internet censorship.

You had me then you lost me at the bolded sentence. Find me any library that has banned any books by "the left". Remember how right-wing nuts want to strike evolution from all curriculum? Censorship is a right-wing type of abusiveness, my confused friend!

Back
Top Bottom