• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump announces commission to further 'patriotic education'

blacks were in the Americas before the first Englishman set foot here. I am sorry that you cannot fathom that, but it is quite true. The very first documented black person to set foot in the Americas was Juan Garrido. He was in the company of Ponce De Leon in the search of the Fountain of Youth in 1513..that occurred around St Augustine, Florida.

The USA didn't evolve out of the Spanish colonial system. So the importance of de Leon, and other Spanish conquisadors, is limited to as people who explored and mapped out aspects of what became the USA. Stuff like Mr. Garrido was also present isn't really relevant to anything in a basic, general core survey of US history, beyond local trivia in Florida.

blacks were in the Americas before the first Englishman set foot here. I am sorry that you cannot fathom that, but it is quite true. The very first documented black person to set foot in the Americas was Juan Garrido. He was in the company of Ponce De Leon in the search of the Fountain of Youth in 1513..that occurred around St Augustine, Florida.

Juan Garrido wasn't a slave, so I'm not sure what your point is.

ah Jack, why did you run so soon...do you still want to keep your head in the sand and believe that Plymouth Rock was all whites and no black and that only white people were here? Do you want to try to deny that black people were here before the first English fool sat foot on this land? Do you really want to deny the nonsense that was argued by the founders over slavery?
No denial here. Just a dislike of inaccuracy and dishonesty, even in service of a defensible cause.

🍿 <-- Me watching this train wreck of a conversation on what Communism is.

The great lie is the claim that slavery was the central motive of the founding of the U.S. In support of that lie the 1619 project relies on numerous falsehoods. As Wilentz writes:

So the great lie was that it was the "central" motive, and not just one motive.

OK, and the 1619 project has already corrected that great lie. So your work is done!

FWIW, if the 1619 project errs by ascribing slavery a 'central' role to the founding and to hundreds of years of history in what is now the U.S. it only does the flip side of what 'traditional' American history has done, which is all but ignore slavery except for pesky civil war, which I learned in school wasn't about slavery at all but about states' rights. I was in my 30s before I read the Cornerstone Speech or the declarations of secession and other writings of that time that make it clear that it was slavery, the end, that motivated secession and what followed.

And much of the criticism you post isn't about the facts of that history but how to interpret it. I think you've read quite a bit of history, so you know that scholars have serious disputes about that all the time. It's like conservatives and liberals debating income taxes.

You betray your ignorance by not noticing the long quotations from some of our most eminent historians.

"“I was surprised, as many other people were, by the scope of this thing, especially since it’s going to become the basis for high school education and has the authority of the New York Times behind it, and yet it is so wrong in so many ways.”

The bolded doesn't identify a 'great lie.' And what he believed it got wrong in part was his subjective opinion about the importance of slavery, whether it's part of our "DNA" or not. Subjective differences of opinion also don't identify a 'great lie.'

OK, and the 1619 project has already corrected that great lie. So your work is done!

FWIW, if the 1619 project errs by ascribing slavery a 'central' role to the founding and to hundreds of years of history in what is now the U.S. it only does the flip side of what 'traditional' American history has done, which is all but ignore slavery except for pesky civil war, which I learned in school wasn't about slavery at all but about states' rights. I was in my 30s before I read the Cornerstone Speech or the declarations of secession and other writings of that time that make it clear that it was slavery, the end, that motivated secession and what followed.

And much of the criticism you post isn't about the facts of that history but how to interpret it. I think you've read quite a bit of history, so you know that scholars have serious disputes about that all the time. It's like conservatives and liberals debating income taxes.
"“I was surprised, as many other people were, by the scope of this thing, especially since it’s going to become the basis for high school education and has the authority of the New York Times behind it, and yet it is so wrong in so many ways.”

The bolded doesn't identify a 'great lie.' And what he believed it got wrong in part was his subjective opinion about the importance of slavery, whether it's part of our "DNA" or not. Subjective differences of opinion also don't identify a 'great lie.'
Sorry, but nothing has really been corrected, certainly not at the clarion-call level of the original presentation. And yes, this is about interpretation, as is all history. And yes, the 1619 Project encompasses falsehoods in support of its interpretation. Those are so glaring they call into question the good faith of the authors and justify characterizing their work as a "great lie."

President Trump on Thursday described America’s heritage and history as under assault from the left, decrying anti-racism teachings and "cancel culture" while announcing plans for a new commission to promote "patriotic education" in U.S. schools.
In a speech delivered in somber tones at the National Archives Museum, Trump painted a dramatic and dark portrait of an effort by liberals to “indoctrinate” America’s children and repress American values, culture and faith.

Trump announces commission to further '''patriotic education'''

This is disturbing on multiple levels.
President Trump on Thursday described America’s heritage and history as under assault from the left, decrying anti-racism teachings and "cancel culture" while announcing plans for a new commission to promote "patriotic education" in U.S. schools.
In a speech delivered in somber tones at the National Archives Museum, Trump painted a dramatic and dark portrait of an effort by liberals to “indoctrinate” America’s children and repress American values, culture and faith.

Trump announces commission to further '''patriotic education'''

This is disturbing on multiple levels.
Does anyone have any actual Details on what trump wants taught in schools? Do they want to replace what he calls propaganda and indoctrination with a different form of the same?

I think the “1776 Commission” is another grand idea that Trump thinks sounds good. Ironic that one of the most history ignorant POTUS’, it touting teaching history.
We will hear about the detail just after his healthcare plan.....

It's disturbing to left wing fascist who are working hard to eliminate any views or historical accounts that don't follow the leftist doctrine.

Please quit using the word "fascist" if you are oblivious to its meaning. It makes you look like a silly zealot.

Sorry, but nothing has really been corrected, certainly not at the clarion-call level of the original presentation. And yes, this is about interpretation, as is all history. And yes, the 1619 Project encompasses falsehoods in support of its interpretation. Those are so glaring they call into question the good faith of the authors and justify characterizing their work as a "great lie."

I see, so they did correct the claim, but it wasn't public enough or something? Should there be a public shaming?

You don't agree with..... something, so it's a "great lie." That's the bottom line. And to prove it you have a bunch of bare links of people who agree with YOU, and ignore those who take a different view. GOOD FAITH on your part!!

Last edited:
I said great, not perfect. No country is perfect, but The United States has gotten closer than anyone else.

It's no reason not to always aim for better or constantly try to grow. That's how the United States has gotten closer than anyone else. You can only do that by constantly keeping your eyes and ears open to new information and new ways of seeing and doing things, by being open to learning, and honest self-evaluation and self-criticism, not by blind hero-worship or idealizing and romanticizing some mythical golden past- that way only lies stagnation and degradation.

It's no reason not to always aim for better or constantly try to grow. That's how the United States has gotten closer than anyone else. You can only do that by constantly keeping your eyes and ears open to new information and new ways of seeing and doing things, by being open to learning, and honest self-evaluation and self-criticism, not by blind hero-worship or idealizing and romanticizing some mythical golden past- that way only lies stagnation and degradation.

Inserting the 1619 Project into school curricula isn't "doing better". It's doing worse.

Focusing strictly on the bad and ignoring the good isn't doing better.

Slavery wasn't ignored at the school I went to.

Does anyone have any actual Details on what trump wants taught in schools? Do they want to replace what he calls propaganda and indoctrination with a different form of the same?

You won’t see a commission.

You won’t see any “details”

This is a throwaway to a Trumpster mob.

That’s all. It was intended to play to white resentment.

And, if you’ve been following this thread, it worked on the target audience.

You won’t see a commission.

You won’t see any “details”

This is a throwaway to a Trumpster mob.

That’s all. It was intended to play to white resentment.

And, if you’ve been following this thread, it worked on the target audience.

What is "white resentment"?

Back
Top Bottom