• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump announces commission to further 'patriotic education'

I still don't understand. What are "innocent young school children" being taught that you object to? I was one such innocent when I was taught about the US breaking treaties with Indians, about our flirtation with imperialism after the Spanish-American War, etc.

Then you must have been raised in a "liberal" area.

BTW, the US "flirtation with imperialism" started in 1776 and the US still has colonial possessions.

BTW, the US "flirtation with imperialism" started in 1776 and the US still has colonial possessions.
No, conservative Catholic nuns, without stars in their eyes about the US record.

Yes, we still have colonies, but US’s imperialism has at times like been subtler than other colonial powers or the Soviets’ — but just as real to the victims. Our control of Latin America mirrored theirs of Eastern Europe. Yet we still held on to our principles in some cases. The way I heard it, when Britain wanted to overthrow Iran’s government for nationalizing oil in the early 1950s, we resisted but caved when told the government was communist-leaning.

President Trump on Thursday described America’s heritage and history as under assault from the left, decrying anti-racism teachings and "cancel culture" while announcing plans for a new commission to promote "patriotic education" in U.S. schools.
In a speech delivered in somber tones at the National Archives Museum, Trump painted a dramatic and dark portrait of an effort by liberals to “indoctrinate” America’s children and repress American values, culture and faith.

Trump announces commission to further '''patriotic education'''

This is disturbing on multiple levels.

I see he has reached chapter V of the Dictator's Handbook. ...and most of us thought he couldn't read.

I suspect its taught in all areas. I havent seen ANY evidence of this whitewashed version of history that is alleged to being taught in the US. I was in school 65-78 in Missouri and got all the warts and blemishes of US history regarding both the Indians and slavery. The historical BS being spewed by by Critical race theory and their 1619 project is just that, BS.

No, conservative Catholic nuns, without stars in their eyes about the US record.

Yes, we still have colonies, but US’s imperialism has at times like been subtler than other colonial powers or the Soviets’ — but just as real to the victims. Our control of Latin America mirrored theirs of Eastern Europe. Yet we still held on to our principles in some cases. The way I heard it, when Britain wanted to overthrow Iran’s government for nationalizing oil in the early 1950s, we resisted but caved when told the government was communist-leaning.

My nuns told me the same thing.

They also taught me that Martin Luther was the devil, and that I would go to hell if I stepped on a crack in the sidewalk.

After they told me my dog didn’t have a soul, I started to doubt their wisdom.

As for begnign imperialism......

That’s what we tell ourselves.

But American school history books neglect to mention our history of suborning governments in South and Central America.

Your high school history book probably never told you that the US fought the Philippinos for ten years after the Spanish American war. We didn’t sign the first Geneva Convention because it outlawed the “dum dum” bullet, which US Marines used with devastating effect in that war. They didn’t tell you that we fought a war in Nicaragua in the late 1920’s.

Little emphasis is placed on CIA operations in Iran, Cuba, the Congo, Chile and Indonesia.

And the US is still the world’s number one arms dealer. In fact, the arms trade is a very significant part of American exports.

I suspect its taught in all areas. I havent seen ANY evidence of this whitewashed version of history that is alleged to being taught in the US. I was in school 65-78 in Missouri and got all the warts and blemishes of US history regarding both the Indians and slavery. The historical BS being spewed by by Critical race theory and their 1619 project is just that, BS.

Well, you managed to contradict yourself in your own post. Schoolbook history and stereotypes learned on the playground and the dinner table are not reality.

My nuns told me the same thing.

They also taught me that Martin Luther was the devil, and that I would go to hell if I stepped on a crack in the sidewalk.

After they told me my dog didn’t have a soul, I started to doubt their wisdom.

As for begnign imperialism......

That’s what we tell ourselves.

But American school history books neglect to mention our history of suborning governments in South and Central America.

Your high school history book probably never told you that the US fought the Philippinos for ten years after the Spanish American war. We didn’t sign the first Geneva Convention because it outlawed the “dum dum” bullet, which US Marines used with devastating effect in that war. They didn’t tell you that we fought a war in Nicaragua in the late 1920’s.

Little emphasis is placed on CIA operations in Iran, Cuba, the Congo, Chile and Indonesia.

And the US is still the world’s number one arms dealer. In fact, the arms trade is a very significant part of American exports.
My use of the term "benign" referred to the way we ourselves in the US viewed it, and I noted that the victims felt differently. I did learn about the Phillippines and Cuba, but not Nicaragua. My schooling predated Congo, Chile and Indonesia.

My use of the term "benign" referred to the way we ourselves in the US viewed it, and I noted that the victims felt differently. I did learn about the Phillippines and Cuba, but not Nicaragua. My schooling predated Congo, Chile and Indonesia.

Take a look at US Haiti history, that goes back a long way

President Trump on Thursday described America’s heritage and history as under assault from the left, decrying anti-racism teachings and "cancel culture" while announcing plans for a new commission to promote "patriotic education" in U.S. schools.
In a speech delivered in somber tones at the National Archives Museum, Trump painted a dramatic and dark portrait of an effort by liberals to “indoctrinate” America’s children and repress American values, culture and faith.

Trump announces commission to further '''patriotic education'''

This is disturbing on multiple levels.

This smells like things that happen in Russia/Soviet Union, China, North Korea and Cuba, not in democratic free and fair democracies.

Well, you managed to contradict yourself in your own post. Schoolbook history and stereotypes learned on the playground and the dinner table are not reality.

No, Ive confirmed through alternate sources that my school books were accurate. And didn't really get any history from the playground or dinner table. And have no idea where you are seeing a contradiction.

Forcing people to be anti patriotic and thinking our nation is a villain is even more stupid and it's historically inaccurate. Not believing in your country leads to its demise.
Great so you dislike trump...got it

Back
Top Bottom