• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump announces commission to further 'patriotic education'

yes, his target was South Carolina, because they were the first to rebel against the union and who he held responsible for the Civil war. When I walk in my back yard I ponder a lot of the history here, good, bad and ugly...the underground railroad, Sherman's Army, the rails that served the south so well... I frequent Savannah, Charleston and even have went to the site of the painful Orangeburg Massacre which is a hop, skip and jump away. My bucketlist still has going to see the ruins down in the Beaufort area....
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."

William Tecumseh Sherman

It must suck to wake up every morning and hate this country the way Trump hates it.
Can you imagine? Pushing "patriotic" education on the American kids? In "America", no less!!!!!! What a mean sob.

Now, telling kids that the US is evil and was built by the slaves - that's education. I mean a Ph.D. grade. Right after "black self-esteem".

Kudos to President Trump on his efforts to stop cancel culture and all the other craziness that has gripped this nation since the Dems retook the House.

Sadly, the commission will barely have three months of life.

It is clear that the Dems will win the Executive & Legislative branches, for the leftist media have successfully indoctrinated many Americans into believing that they are bigots if they fail to support the Dem agenda.

Starting in 2021 under the Harris-Biden administration, we may have to kneel at the beginning of each work day, and libraries may be cleared of any books that do not meet the approval of BLM, the DNC, & MSNBC. Needless to say, we ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to Internet censorship.
This is from an email I received from Paul Krugman:

A few months ago a certain segment of the commentariat — mainly on the center-right — became extremely agitated about the purported menace of “cancel culture,” the shaming and ostracizing of public figures over actions or opinions deemed unacceptable. Cancellation, the story went, represented political correctness gone wild, and endangered free and frank discourse.​
The whole thing was, of course, greatly overblown. Yes, political correctness sometimes goes too far, especially when linked with historical ignorance; it was definitely annoying when protesters pulled down a statue of U.S. Grant, an imperfect but great man who saved the Union. (Full disclosure: I’m a bit of a Grant groupie.) But left-leaning cancel culture doesn’t pose any real threat to free discourse, because in 21st-century America we barely have anything resembling a radical left, and whatever left-wing radicalism exists has very little political power.​
The radical right, by contrast, has a lot of power, and seems increasingly eager to use that power to punish anyone expressing views it doesn’t like, even — or maybe especially — when those views simply involve telling the truth.​
So we have Donald Trump demanding “patriotic education” and denouncing The Times’s 1619 Project, because it’s politically incorrect to admit the role slavery played in our nation’s history. You have the Justice Department announcing an investigation of racism at Princeton that is obviously intended to punish the school for admitting the obvious point that there was racism in its past.​

Will the kids get new brown shirts?
No. They all were looted by the BLM and the Antifa peaceful protesters.

The thugs like that color because it doesn't stain easily when setting things on fire.

no, they are no longer under 'Spain' or 'France' but they are still very heavily influenced by that language and culture. Some of the best foods, cultural experiences come from those areas...you might want to drop some of the bigoted ideas you have and learn something different...btw, there are areas in West Virginia and the mountains of Tennessee that are far worse than anything in Juarez...so you might want to not go down that path.
In fact I lived in Latin America for over 20 years, speak fluent Spanish and still own property there. Love the culture and people, many have worked for me, so am hardly bigoted. But I have a knowledge of the laws, culture and the class system which holds the people back. Not everyone who is critical of other cultures is a 'bigot', and experienced adults will understand that.

The 1619 Project Is a Fraud

Becket Adams, Washington Examiner

". . . New York Times Magazine editors have quietly removed controversial language from the online version of Hannah-Jones’s 1619 Project, a package of essays that argue chattel slavery defines America’s founding. Hannah-Jones herself also asserts now that the project’s core thesis is not what she and everyone else involved originally said it was.

It “does not argue that 1619 is our true founding," she said on Friday. She declared elsewhere in July that it “doesn’t argue, for obvious reasons, that 1619 is our true founding.”

This is a brazen lie. When the 1619 Project debuted both online and in print in August 2019, the online version’s text stated originally [emphasis added]:

The 1619 project is a major initiative from The New York Times observing the 400th anniversary of the beginning of American slavery. It aims to reframe the country’s history, understanding 1619 as our true founding , and placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of black Americans at the very center of our national narrative.

That same online passage, which was the source of so much controversy among historians on both sides of the aisle, now reads:

The 1619 Project is an ongoing initiative from The New York Times Magazine that began in August 2019, the 400th anniversary of the beginning of American slavery. It aims to reframe the country’s history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of black Americans at the very center of our national narrative. . . . "

No. They all were looted by the BLM and the Antifa peaceful protesters.

The thugs like that color because it doesn't stain easily when setting things on fire.
Antifa is wearing black, and for good reason.

"The Blackshirts (Italian: camicie nere or squadristi) were Fascist paramilitary groups in Italy during the period immediately following World War I and until the end of World War II. The term was later applied to a similar group serving the British Union of Fascists before the War".

but you were briefed on it, not completely taught....I was educated in the 70s and 80s myself...I remember well my history books...and they were briefs on slavery and not education on them...it said essentially we had slavery, then Lincoln was elected, we had the Civil war and slavery ended..and that was the jist of it. I was never once showed or made to read the speeches given by the very first state to leave the union South Carolina or the racism that was from that...I was not taught that it was a black explorer with Ponce del Leon...and so forth...we were given this romantic version of bs
It may depend on the school system. Maryland is very liberal, or it was when I was in school, and Baltimore is majority black. I remember learning about MLK, Malcom X, Medgar Evers. I was in 8th grade when MLK was assassinated. The Medgar Evers section made an impression on me, the hell the KKK put him and his family through. I don't know, it just didn't seem sanitized to me. I get what you're saying though. I'm sure there were plenty of "upper middle class" schools that were in denial. If the bad part of our history isn't taught, that IS wrong and I don't condone that. How to process it, and deal with it, should in my opinion be left to the parents. JMHO

This is from an email I received from Paul Krugman:

A few months ago a certain segment of the commentariat — mainly on the center-right — became extremely agitated about the purported menace of “cancel culture,” the shaming and ostracizing of public figures over actions or opinions deemed unacceptable. Cancellation, the story went, represented political correctness gone wild, and endangered free and frank discourse.​
The whole thing was, of course, greatly overblown. Yes, political correctness sometimes goes too far, especially when linked with historical ignorance; it was definitely annoying when protesters pulled down a statue of U.S. Grant, an imperfect but great man who saved the Union. (Full disclosure: I’m a bit of a Grant groupie.) But left-leaning cancel culture doesn’t pose any real threat to free discourse, because in 21st-century America we barely have anything resembling a radical left, and whatever left-wing radicalism exists has very little political power.​
The radical right, by contrast, has a lot of power, and seems increasingly eager to use that power to punish anyone expressing views it doesn’t like, even — or maybe especially — when those views simply involve telling the truth.​
So we have Donald Trump demanding “patriotic education” and denouncing The Times’s 1619 Project, because it’s politically incorrect to admit the role slavery played in our nation’s history. You have the Justice Department announcing an investigation of racism at Princeton that is obviously intended to punish the school for admitting the obvious point that there was racism in its past.​
"Political correctness is fascism disguised as good manners." --George Carlin

Has anybody here actually said what is bad about teaching "patriotic" history... or what that even means?

I recommend an introductory level history class- one that focuses on nationalism or fascism would be especially helpful.

I’m sure you can find a college extension course, or maybe a podcast.

Leopold Poetsch............

So the mere term "patriotic" education means, to you, automatic Nazism?

Or, maybe you can explain why it means fascism, dictatorships, racism, etc.?

I recommend an introductory level history class- one that focuses on nationalism or fascism would be especially helpful.

I ask because I majored in History and teach it as well... since nobody has said what specific lessons or concepts are going to lead to racism, oppression, denial of historical facts, dictatorship, etc... I will just assume that you guys are paranoid reactionaries, or something. 🤷

I ask because I majored in History and teach it as well... since nobody has said what specific lessons or concepts are going I will just assume that you guys are paranoid reactionaries, or something. [emoji1745]

Oh.

So you know.

But you just are trolling.

Why don’t you enlighten us with your deep historical knowledge of the subject?

President Trump on Thursday described America’s heritage and history as under assault from the left, decrying anti-racism teachings and "cancel culture" while announcing plans for a new commission to promote "patriotic education" in U.S. schools.
In a speech delivered in somber tones at the National Archives Museum, Trump painted a dramatic and dark portrait of an effort by liberals to “indoctrinate” America’s children and repress American values, culture and faith.

Trump announces commission to further '''patriotic education'''

This is disturbing on multiple levels.
Long overdue. Get rid of teachers unions while we are at it

Oh.

So you know.

But you just are trolling.

Why don’t you enlighten us with your deep historical knowledge of the subject?

If you would care to point out what specific aspect of this proposed curriculum might lead to something like fascism, dictatorship, racism, oppression, denial of rights, etc... I will gladly enlighten you...

One of our greatest historians:
“It was an elevating, transforming vision: a new, fresh, vigorous, and above all morally regenerate people rising from the obscurity to defend the battlements of liberty and then in triumph standing forth, heartening and sustaining the cause of freedom everywhere.”
-- Bernard Bailyn

If you would care to point out what specific aspect of this proposed curriculum might lead to something like fascism, dictatorship, racism, oppression, denial of rights, etc... I will gladly enlighten you...

You know as well as I that there is no curriculum.

But you also should know that whenever they come up with one, under Trumps direction it will be a hot mess.

You know as well as I that there is no curriculum.

But you also should know that whenever they come up with one, under Trumps direction it will be a hot mess.

So you are not actually against "patriotic education" as proposed by Trump.

You are against what it might turn into... right?

Why not just say that then?

So you are not actually against "patriotic education" as proposed by Trump.

You are against what it might turn into... right?

Why not just say that then?

I am against it.

Because I understand what it will turn into.

How do you not grasp this basic and essential point?

So the mere term "patriotic" education means, to you, automatic Nazism?

Or, maybe you can explain why it means fascism, dictatorships, racism, etc.?

I find it ironic that the least knowledgeable president in the subject of US history wants to present an history curriculum. It is akin to his healthcare program which will be revealed any day now. This will get very little traction in the coming days.......

I am against it.

But, but.....he teaches history......

I am against it.

But, but.....he teaches history......
Lucky for us better minds will lead. Another great historian:

“Lincoln too considered secession the “essence of anarchy.” He branded state sovereignty a “sophism.” “The Union is older than any of the States,” Lincoln asserted, “and, in fact, it created them as States.” The Declaration of Independence transformed the “United Colonies” into the United States; without this union then, there would never have been any “free and independent States.”
― James M. McPherson, Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era

I am against it.

Do you think that patriotism only means national superiority and state allegiance?

I find it ironic that the least knowledgeable president in the subject of US history wants to present an history curriculum. It is akin to his healthcare program which will be revealed any day now. This will get very little traction in the coming days.......

He is a moron...

Back
Top Bottom