• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump announces commission to further 'patriotic education'

Of course not but were you not taught that these atrocities occurred? And, as well, they were committed by Democrats. They should also be paying for any reparations.

No, Fred, they were committed by conservatives who believed their God gave them dominion over all animals, including native-American and African humans. Frankly, you guys haven't changed much.

It's posts like yours that really demonstrate the culture of willful ignorance that now dominates conservative thought. Self preservation through denial and obfuscation.

You're interfering with the right wing's favorite talking point, that the left is responsible for all the evil everywhere that has ever occurred in the country. Stop confusing us with facts.
Silly me, what was I thinking? <wink>

Interesting. Thanks. One of Sherman's more remarkable letters dates from the crossing into SC from GA. He noted that in "the seat of rebellion" he expected the troops would behave more violently.

His troops or the southerners?

the contributions and efforts of the Spanish, French and so forth are all what created this nation....Florida, Louisiana, California, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico...in fact more than half of this nation had nothing to do with pilgrims.

Like I said-- the political and legal heritage of the USA is not from Spain or France-- even in Florida, Louisiana, ect.
That's the point. Its not equal.
By all means, kids in those states are going to have a greater emphasis on the French and Spanish history of their states-- it makes things a little more interesting.
But to treat that heritage, in a general American history class, as equal to the contributions of England, is historical malpractice.

No, Fred, they were committed by conservatives who believed their God gave them dominion over all animals, including native-American and African humans. Frankly, you guys haven't changed much.It's posts like yours that really demonstrate the culture of willful ignorance that now dominates conservative thought. Self preservation through denial and obfuscation.
Whoa! Are you really denying that it was the Democrats who supported slavery, established Jim Crow Laws, initiated the KKK and fought against segregation? In fact the current Democratic choice for President eulogized a former KKK member at his funeral!

You're interfering with the right wing's favorite talking point, that the left is responsible for all the evil everywhere that has ever occurred in the country. Stop confusing us with facts.
The Left did support the Communists, the most murderous group in history, during the Cold War and protested strongly against President Reagan. Now they're ignoring the Russians and Chinese and working against President Trump. They are now, as they were then, not so useful idiots.

Like I said-- the political and legal heritage of the USA is not from Spain or France-- even in Florida, Louisiana, ect.
By all means, kids in those states are going to have a greater emphasis on the French and Spanish history of their states-- it makes things a little more interesting.
But to treat that heritage, in a general American history class, as equal to the contributions of England, is historical malpractice.
Yers, the laws,customs and history of human rights were all imported from Britain, including the language. We can see what happened to those areas of the world which fell under French and Spanish control.

Slavery was not mentioned in your American history books? That's a very serious omission and should be looked into.
not very much...a little glorified version was....no one really talked about how awful it was...hell my teacher even suggested that us Natives, Latinos and blacks were so much better off because of slavery.

That's a rather goofy guess. You may not remember what you were taught in school but most people certainly do. Otherwise what's the point?

I graduated a long time ago, but my knowledge of the history of the country, and the world, has multiplied by an order of magnitude, at least.

And nothing about history is related to my profession, it’s all just self taught, through travel, reading, etc.

What one is taught in high school is a Bare minimum, and those who remember it in that detail are either fabricating or have never learned any other history in their lives.

President Trump on Thursday described America’s heritage and history as under assault from the left, decrying anti-racism teachings and "cancel culture" while announcing plans for a new commission to promote "patriotic education" in U.S. schools.
In a speech delivered in somber tones at the National Archives Museum, Trump painted a dramatic and dark portrait of an effort by liberals to “indoctrinate” America’s children and repress American values, culture and faith.

Trump announces commission to further '''patriotic education'''

This is disturbing on multiple levels.
he isn't wrong, but not going about it the right way.

Interesting. Thanks. One of Sherman's more remarkable letters dates from the crossing into SC from GA. He noted that in "the seat of rebellion" he expected the troops would behave more violently.
yes, his target was South Carolina, because they were the first to rebel against the union and who he held responsible for the Civil war. When I walk in my back yard I ponder a lot of the history here, good, bad and ugly...the underground railroad, Sherman's Army, the rails that served the south so well... I frequent Savannah, Charleston and even have went to the site of the painful Orangeburg Massacre which is a hop, skip and jump away. My bucketlist still has going to see the ruins down in the Beaufort area....

he isn't wrong, but not going about it the right way.
That’s been said of national leaders in the past.........

um, yes it is...because the US is all of the US not just Plymouth Rock.

Yers, the laws,customs and history of human rights were all imported from Britain, including the language. We can see what happened to those areas of the world which fell under French and Spanish control.
what is it that happened to them? Texas and California are both the reason why this country survives...Florida is the place all the seniors want to flock to...so, precisely what was it that happened with all of those states that were under French and Spanish control?

The Left did support the Communists, the most murderous group in history, during the Cold War and protested strongly against President Reagan. Now they're ignoring the Russians and Chinese and working against President Trump. They are now, as they were then, not so useful idiots.
Tell me...do you think that a real Conservative Republican would add 7 trillion dollars in debt in just under 4 years? and don't give me no stupid excuses...do you think that?

what is it that happened to them? Texas and California are both the reason why this country survives...Florida is the place all the seniors want to flock to...so, precisely what was it that happened with all of those states that were under French and Spanish control?
They no longer are under Spanish control. Notice the difference between El Paso and Juarez, given that they are just next door to each other, or San Diego and Tia Juana.

They no longer are under Spanish control. Notice the difference between El Paso and Juarez, given that they are just next door to each other, or San Diego and Tia Juana.
no, they are no longer under 'Spain' or 'France' but they are still very heavily influenced by that language and culture. Some of the best foods, cultural experiences come from those areas...you might want to drop some of the bigoted ideas you have and learn something different...btw, there are areas in West Virginia and the mountains of Tennessee that are far worse than anything in Juarez...so you might want to not go down that path.

President Trump on Thursday described America’s heritage and history as under assault from the left, decrying anti-racism teachings and "cancel culture" while announcing plans for a new commission to promote "patriotic education" in U.S. schools.
In a speech delivered in somber tones at the National Archives Museum, Trump painted a dramatic and dark portrait of an effort by liberals to “indoctrinate” America’s children and repress American values, culture and faith.

Trump announces commission to further '''patriotic education'''

This is disturbing on multiple levels.

What is disturbing about it?

Read my post again. I’m on your side. As you say the book does not say what the referenced articles say it does and those articles do not cite any passages in the book to back up their claims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Has anybody here actually said what is bad about teaching "patriotic" history... or what that even means?

Has anybody here actually said what is bad about teaching "patriotic" history... or what that even means?

I would just be in it for the flags and songs. I buy US flags in bulk and then place them in all sorts of places; particularly groundhog holes, and bird nests. Our animal friends should not be deprived of showing their pride just because they have no concept of money and couldn't use earn it even if they did.

:)

Back
Top Bottom