• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Ally Tries To Remove Parkland Fathers From Gun Violence Hearing

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

dsc008-8500747a3bfc226a71e667a4b8d5dbe613326779-s800-c85.jpg

House Judiciary Committee hearing on gun violence at Capitol Hill.

2/6/19
A longtime Trump ally pushed to have two fathers of Parkland victims tossed out of a congressional hearing on gun violence. Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., sparked commotion in the hearing when he listed circumstances in which violence was committed by undocumented immigrants, and said the solution would be to build the Trump-backed wall along the Southwest border. This led to protests in the hearing room by the fathers of two Parkland shooting victims, Manuel Oliver and Fred Guttenberg. Gaetz responded by asking for their removal. The public is not allowed to comment during congressional hearings, and the two were given a warning.

The House Judiciary Committee's Wednesday hearing on gun violence was the first of its kind in nearly eight years. The panel has not had a hearing on this topic since Republicans took control of the House in 2011 following the Tea Party wave in the 2010 midterms. "It's our turn to set the agenda, and listen to the American people," said Rep. Zoe Lofgren, a California Democrat, a nod to the new Democratic majority. The lobby of Rayburn House Office Building, where the hearing was held, was flooded with young people as early as 7 a.m. — three hours before the hearing was to begin. Students skipped classes and came from as far away as Portland, Ore., to pack the committee room for the hearing.

Memo to GOP Rep. Gaetz, your party no longer controls the US House of Representatives. Elections have consequences.

The GOP has not allowed a House hearing on gun violence in 8 years! As expected, young people packed the hearing room and remain highly motivated on gun issues.

Memo to GOP Rep. Gaetz, your party no longer controls the US House of Representatives. Elections have consequences.

The GOP has not allowed a House hearing on gun violence in 8 years! As expected, young people packed the hearing room and remain highly motivated on gun issues.

Gaetz is disgusting and should be ashamed of himself.

No one is surprised at this result. Disgusted of course, but not surprised.

Gaetz is a provocateur turd who seeks the spotlight of attention any way he can get it, and this type of disgusting behavior is the norm for the junior Congressman. He ought to be censured.

If they are not interrupting proceedings then I see no reason for them to be removed. They should be encouraged to present their proposals and allow them to explain how exactly those ideas will prevent future gun violence. Then we can debate the legality of those ideas

Something glossed over by some here....

The public is not allowed to comment during congressional hearings, and the two were given a warning.

Gaetz is still an ass.

Gaetz is still an ass.

and gun banners are scum bags. This was a hearing about the wall-not about unconstitutional schemes to deprive honest American Citizens of their rights

That may well be. But people who break the rules are far more likely to get tossed.

With Republicans in charge, they probably would have been. But then again, Republicans would never have opened a hearing on gun violence.

You need to reread the OP. The hearing was about gun violence.

you're right, my mistake. However, comments were not allowed. The parkland parents in question were out of line

With Republicans in charge, they probably would have been. But then again, Republicans would never have opened a hearing on gun violence.

Democrats are not interested in effective methods to stop gun violence. They use gun violence as an excuse to harass honest gun owners who are tired of politicians who scapegoat them for criminal activities

I am a strong proponent of civil disobedience so I respect what the fathers did. But there wasn’t anything wrong in removing them when they didn’t follow the rules.

I am a strong proponent of civil disobedience so I respect what the fathers did. But there wasn’t anything wrong in removing them when they didn’t follow the rules.

an even handed and reasonable position

Mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, we young folks are coming with new laws for your guns. We're tired of being slaughtered no matter where we may be. The times and the laws are a changin'.

Gaetz is a provocateur turd who seeks the spotlight of attention any way he can get it, and this type of disgusting behavior is the norm for the junior Congressman. He ought to be censured.

We here in flori-duh also have a crook for a governor a racist senator and the other senator in my opinion is a snake in the grass. To think we live in the sunshine state with so much darkness in government.

Mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, we young folks are coming with new laws for your guns. We're tired of being slaughtered no matter where we may be. The times and the laws are a changin'.

Did you forget about who is in the Senate, the White House, and the Supreme Court?

Did you forget about who is in the Senate, the White House, and the Supreme Court?

No I did not. They won't be there forever but the pain these shooting victims endure will never go away. It's only a matter of time.

No I did not. They won't be there forever but the pain these shooting victims endure will never go away. It's only a matter of time.

At what point do unconstitutional laws suddenly become Constitutional?

We here in flori-duh also have a crook for a governor a racist senator and the other senator in my opinion is a snake in the grass. To think we live in the sunshine state with so much darkness in government.
I’m a FL native (Pinellas County) and it saddens me to see what has happened to politics in my home state. Still, could be worse, at least the top 3 officials there aren’t in the spotlight for racism/sexual assault like my adopted home state of VA. :/

They need to learn to respect their elders.

And there's other people like them to take their places when they retire.

Back
Top Bottom