• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Allies Plot Candidate Intervention After Disastrous 48 Hours

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Key Republicans close to Donald Trump's orbit are plotting an intervention with the candidate after a disastrous 48 hours led some influential voices in the party to question whether Trump can stay at the top of the Republican ticket without catastrophic consequences for his campaign and the GOP at large.

Republican National Committee head Reince Priebus, former Republican New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich are among the Trump endorsers hoping to talk the real estate mogul into a dramatic reset of his campaign in the coming days, sources tell NBC News.

And their very first words to Trump should be "Just shut your ****ing pie hole".

Article is here.

led some influential voices in the party to question whether Trump can stay at the top of the Republican ticket without catastrophic consequences for his campaign and the GOP at large.

This has been said since the beginning, by the Never Trump crowd.

And their very first words to Trump should be "Just shut your ****ing pie hole".

Article is here.

This was known from the start. But they do have to do something here, Trump is a disaster and if they just let him have his ways, it's going to cause quite a bit of blowback. Not only will Hillary win quite easily, but it could hurt the GOP elsewhere with other seats.

But I don't know if an intervention will do any good. Trump HATES being told what to do.

How frightening is it that a presidential candidate needs an intervention?

Almost as frightening as Trump having won the nomination in the first place.

I would like to hear directly from one of these "Key Republicans close to Donald Trump's orbit" about this intervention before I give this "story" any credit. Right now it smells like the "hard news" division used a bunch of speculative op-ed sources to concoct another headline.

I would like to hear directly from one of these "Key Republicans close to Donald Trump's orbit" about this intervention before I give this "story" any credit. Right now it smells like the "hard news" division used a bunch of speculative op-ed sources to concoct another headline.

I don't think that with Trump, the press has to concoct anything. They merely need to wait 10 minutes for his next flub up.

Article is here.

You can say what you want, but perhaps him continuing to raise these very important questions is what will skyrocket him to the win. Not all people believe that what he said in defense was wrong. Those that do were taking the politically correct route, but now (several days later) those that said "hey hold on - what did he do that was wrong?" are becoming the voice of reason. And Mr. Khan (the gold star)parent is becoming the person under attack. Americans are tired - sick and tired of all the shenanigans.

With regards to Mr. Khan, the more I hear about this, the madder I get. What about all the other Americans in our world who have died for our freedoms? Their voices need to be heard as well and many of them (if they could speak) would say that we must stop the changes that are occurring within our country. The departure from American beliefs and protecting the Americans in our country. They might even say that the voice of one Muslim family whose son was lost in war cannot and must not ever over shadow the voices of all the others. Mr. Khan wants more and more and more Muslims in our country. And many Americans are saying - to what end? To what end will we stop all from coming into this country and taking from the resources of those born here naturally? When you can only feed six people in your household, you don't continue to take in more and more and cause them all to starve. When you do this you fail everyone. So again I will say - it is time to hear a voice of reason and even if that voice (Mr. Trump's) is not politically correct.

It is time for American's to have their voices heard not politicians and news anchors and journalists. They represent only a minute fraction of our people. So as one American - I say Mr. Trump please keep telling it like it is. Your voice brings us to the truth. IE; this time the truth of the real motives behind the DNC and the Khan family.

The only way to fix this is to create a time machine (and hope we don't run into any Morlocks).

Article is here.

Trump doesn't necessarily need to change his game but he needs to play smarter. He no longer has the buffer of other candidates in a primary. It's heads up now and Hillary has the support of the media. His message needs to be focused on her, not her minions.

I don't think that with Trump, the press has to concoct anything. They merely need to wait 10 minutes for his next flub up.
The guy is a target rich environment, no doubt. I just have to wonder, though. Many of these stories I'm reading like the one in the OP seem to be based on nothing more than rumor and op-ed speculation. Here's another one...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/senior-go...ump-drops-133358796--abc-news-topstories.html

Republican officials are exploring how to handle a scenario that would be unthinkable in a normal election year: What would happen if the party's presidential nominee dropped out?

ABC News has learned that senior party officials are so frustrated — and confused — by Donald Trump's erratic behavior that they are exploring how to replace him on the ballot if he drops out.

ABC News has learned? Really? No direct source.

Here's another one...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-sanity-mental-health-000000384.html

Is Donald Trump insane?

That’s the question being asked in recent days by prominent columnists, both liberal and conservative, about the Republican presidential nominee.

Asked by prominent columnists? As in op-ed columnists? This is a legitimate basis for a hard news story?

You can say what you want, but perhaps him continuing to raise these very important questions is what will skyrocket him to the win.

You mean important questions like, "We have nuclear weapons, so why don't we use them?"

How frightening that Gingrich and Giuliani are part of a planned intervention. WTF?

why would that be frightening? both are political geniuses and heavyweights.

Mr. Khan wants more and more and more Muslims in our country. And many Americans are saying - to what end? To what end will we stop all from coming into this country and taking from the resources of those born here naturally? When you can only feed six people in your household, you don't continue to take in more and more and cause them all to starve. When you do this you fail everyone. So again I will say - it is time to hear a voice of reason and even if that voice (Mr. Trump's) is not politically correct.
More and more- Do you have a firm number??
Do you have a link to Khan & that number?

why would that be frightening? both are political geniuses and heavyweights.

You and I have a different appreciation of "genius". Joseph Goebbels was a political genius. The world could have done without him.

How frightening that Gingrich and Giuliani are part of a planned intervention. WTF?

Many Republicans are and will be leaving the Party. Now if the Dems run a program like Nixon did in 72, Democrats for Nixon, the downstream effect on that was substantial. They not only voted for Nixon but many did vote for Republicans running in their districts. We saw how well that worked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrats_for_Nixon

Presidential Election of 1972

Emphasizing a good economy and his successes in foreign affairs (especially ending American involvement in Vietnam and establishing relations with China), Nixon won the election in a massive landslide (a higher proportion than in 1964, when Lyndon B. Johnson overwhelmingly defeated Barry Goldwater). Nixon won the election, with a 23.2% margin of victory in the popular vote, the fourth largest margin in presidential election history. He received almost 18 million more popular votes than McGovern—the widest margin of any U.S. presidential election.

More and more- Do you have a firm number??
Do you have a link to Khan & that number?

I doubt a firm number exists, and Khan's deletion of that portion of his practice from his law office's web site makes estimates difficult.

Khan said what he had to say, and said it very effectively. He should now just return to his old life with no deletions as there is nothing to hide. Instead, he wants Trump to return a Purple Heart that the earner freely gifted to him. That gift is simply not his concern. Sadly, I am starting to think that Khan is starting to enjoys his new status.

I think that his asking 3 times in a meeting with the experts about why can't he use nukes is one of the reasons they are going to yank this clown.

He is a sociopath, and he is insane and dangerous. Better for a party coup now than later.

I doubt a firm number exists, and Khan's deletion of that portion of his practice from his law office's web site makes estimates difficult.

Khan said what he had to say, and said it very effectively. He should now just return to his old life with no deletions as there is nothing to hide. Instead, he wants Trump to return a Purple Heart that the earner freely gifted to him. That gift is simply not his concern. Sadly, I am starting to think that Khan is starting to enjoys his new status.

No proof anything was deleted that I have seen. Do you have proof of deletions?

The sad part is... *IF* he were to become a kinder gentler Donald Trump... people would fall for it. That whole thing about moving to the extreme in a primary and moving to the center in the general election applies here, too, just on a larger scale... people fall for it.

Those of us opposed to Trump's nomination warned, and warned, and warned of his temperament, incoherency, flip-flopping, obsessive-compulsive need for revenge, and his total indifference to the intellectual work behind actual policy making. We heard the Trump supporters give us baby talk rationalizations, cry baby excuses, and delusional non-arguments for Trump 'the God Emperior' ....and we waited...now we can say...YOU WERE WARNED!

Trump has promised to become normal since late January of 2016...and after several attempts he has FAILED. The Republican party created this Wack-a-doodle, and Trump supporters own him. And it ain't over, as the disgraceful saga continues. In the last 48 hours:

Take a look at what's happened in just the last 24 hours: First Read: GOP, Trump Go From '''Unraveling''' to '''Break Glass''' Mode - NBC News

-In a Washington Post interview, Trump declined to endorse House Speaker Paul Ryan against his primary challenger
-He reiterated that he hasn't endorsed Sen. John McCain and said the onetime prisoner of war "has not done a good job for the vets"
-He slapped out at Republican Sen. Kelly Ayotte, saying "she has given me zero support"
-He suggested that Americans should pull their 401(k) funds out of the stock market
-He said he's "always wanted" to receive a Purple Heart but that having one gifted to him by a supporter was "much easier"
-He said that the handling of sexual harassment has "got to be up to the individual"
-He accused Khizr Khan of being "bothered" by his plan to keep terrorists out of the country, and said that he had no regrets about his clash with the family
-He appeared to feud with a crying baby during a rally
-He reiterated that "if the election is rigged, I would not be surprised"
-The sitting president of the United States publicly called Trump "unfit to serve" and urged Republicans to withdraw their support for him.
Trump spokesman Katrina Pierson suggested that Obama and Clinton are to blame for the death of Humayan Khan, who died in 2004, when neither were in the executive branch at the time
-An ally of Paul Manafort told our colleague John Harwood at CNBC that the campaign chairman is "mailing it in," leaving the rest of the staff "suicidal."
-Sitting GOP congressman Richard Hanna, HP head Meg Whitman and former Christie aide Maria Comella all said they plan to vote for Hillary Clinton
-The Washington Post released a transcript of its full interview with Trump, indicating among other things that he paused five times to watch TV coverage in the middle of the sit-down
-A GOP source told NBC's Katy Tur that Reince Priebus is "apoplectic" over Trump's refusal to endorse Ryan and is making calls to the campaign to express his "extreme displeasure"

What are we missing? Any one of these items would be problematic on a normal campaign day. This all happened since 8am yesterday. With all that, do we need to be asking a new question: Do Republicans go public with their hope that Trump withdraws from the race?

Glad I quit the party when I did.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom