• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump admits he should have gone to Arlington to pay respects on Veterans Day

Missing one of many veteran events is not "pissing on the memory of our vets'" I submit that the Richard Blumenthal stolen valor claims are "pissing on our vets." Give Trump a break. He is trying to help America, not his own narcissistic interests like so many democrats do.

Narcissism defines Trump. You'd know that if you'd take the blinders off. Your off topic deflection is dismissed accordingly.

Narcissism defines Trump. You'd know that if you'd take the blinders off. Your off topic deflection is dismissed accordingly.

Trump is a narcissist? Possibly. That could be said of almost anyone, especially Bill and Hillary Clinton, to mention two of the most prominent self-serving democrats.

Trump is a narcissist? Possibly. That could be said of almost anyone, especially Bill and Hillary Clinton, to mention two of the most prominent self-serving democrats.

backtracking and deflecting in the same post...well done

You're happy with sabotaging the Democratic Party, like Joe Lieberman and Zell Miller.
We get it.

Not at all. Just don’t agree with being a partisan hack who marches in lockstep with the party. Which is being a blue dog is a better alternative than a yellow dog democrat.

Imo

Last edited:
Not at all. Just don’t agree with being a partisan hack who marches in lockstep with the party. Which is being a blue dog is a better alternative than a yellow dog democrat.

Imo

Is Pelosi "too far left" to you?

No. If anything she is part of the corporate establishment.

Ocasio-Cortez is an example of “too far left”.

O.C. will be brought to a broader understanding, or she'll be handed her walking papers by the voters next time around. I wouldn't worry all that much about the junior just yet.

Absurd Rinse and Repeat.

Compulsively so.

The Right Whinge is hell-bent determined to dominate so there's never any end to it, whether it's a thread or rightwing media. The Right is unable to know whether it's won or lost so they just keep on going like the Energizer Bunny. Ad Infinitum.

Carry on

Alright, run away again. I don't really care at this point.

Let me know when you can muster something that isn't vaguely an appeal to authority.

Alright, run away again. I don't really care at this point.

Let me know when you can muster something that isn't vaguely an appeal to authority.

You deny repeatedly everything I say or you try to work around just about everything. So it doesn't matter what I post to you because this is your pattern. It's your pattern consistently in replying to virtually anyone. Your compulsion to lecture and scold is not the problem, as pathetic as it is. The problem is denial and circumvention of the issues.

For instance, I pointed out the US Special Operations commander Gen. Raymond "Tony" Thomas said the government was in an "unbelievable turmoil" and that it needed to be rectified because "we're a nation at war" and needed "stability." Your only comment was that everyone knows the nation has turmoil going on so the statement is nothing new. You ignored or missed entirely an active duty serving four-star general made the statement, which is significant as nearly everyone else noted. Gen. Thomas is not retired yet so speaking as the general did was radical. You ran a big circle around Gen. Hyten of nuclear command who said publicly at a defense forum he must disobey an illegal order / immoral order from CinC/Potus.

You need a new paradigm of posting replies. Otherwise I'll be pleased to point out the particular historical significance of Veterans Day, 2018 which is that Trump and the Pentagon are almost completely alienated from the other. Until now Trump had pretty much laid off the generals and admirals and they had tolerated Trump quietly. Now Trump is going hard against McRaven in the wake of Trumps having shat on veterans relative to this Veterans Day holiday, observances, recognition, respect.

The Pentagon has had it for good with the past two years of Trump attacking Gold Star Parents, attacking POW and disrespecting them, wanting a Trump Jong Un parade which Pentagon quietly shot down with their budget ray gun, the current border deployment and Trump's illegal rules of engagement Pentagon quashed; cadet bone spurs attacking Admiral retired McRaven and all troops and support personnel involved in killing bin Laden to include the intelligence community that located him...and so on and so on. Trump thinks that now he must and can draw the proverbial line at the feet of the generals and admirals because Trump knows the generals and admirals see in the election results the voice of the American people.

In the House it was decisive. In the Senate Republicans lost seats they normally win, such as in AZ and NV and failed to win seats they wanted badly such as in MT, WVA, MS while already having lost the Republican seat in AL and the governorship of NC; Mitt Romney was reelected in UT. Plus the turmoil continues that causes the Pentagon to burn the midnight oil. You deny or try to dismiss that Pentagon has always read election results (just as Scotus always had). Moreover, you are unaware or dismiss that the oath of the armed forces is to the Constitution, which means to the people directly, not to any official. You are meanwhile in denial or oblivious to the whole of the vital matter of civil-military relations.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...ould-have-gone-arlington-veterans-day-n937421

The president, who rarely owns up to mistakes, spoke to "Fox News Sunday." (11/16/18)

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump says he should have visited Arlington National Cemetery to commemorate Veterans Day — a traditional presidential act.

Trump, who rarely admits a faux pas, told "Fox News Sunday" that "in retrospect, I should have" gone, but he was busy on calls and had just returned from abroad.
========================================
This is the first time I can recall reading that Trump admitted making a mistake. I didn't think that was in his DNA.

He didn't apologize for skipping the visit to that American military cemetery in France because the rain would mess up his comb-over.
So, you didn't watch the interview then? Because if you did you'd have seen him talk about that as well....but, no...you wanted to make sure you spread some stale snark at the end to protect that lib card....

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

I don't like to just attack the president, but I think you are 100% correct here.
Bwhaaa! Didn't you just say this?

"Owning up to it doesn't gain any ground with me."

Bwhaaa! Didn't you just say this?

"Owning up to it doesn't gain any ground with me."

You quote me correctly. I'm not sure what your point is, though.

How was it in the lower ranks when you served? Inquiring minds want to know.

So, you're complaining about Trump denigrating the service of fallen members, (of which I agree that he should have gone in both France, and here) by denigrating another posters service....Not only is that the definition of utter classless behavior, but quite an assholish move...

“You know what uranium is, right? This thing called nuclear weapons like lots of things are done with uranium including some bad things.”

Money from the campaign, or campaign contributions, played no roll in this transaction. -- DJT

Ted Cruz is totally unelectable, if he even gets to run (born in Canada). Will loose big to Hillary. Polls show I beat Hillary easily! WIN!-- DJT

“China steals United States Navy research drone in international waters – rips it out of water and takes it to China in unpresidented act.” -- DJT

Wow, every poll said I won the debate last night. Great honer!” -- DJT

“No dream is too big, no challenge is to great,” -- DJT

LMAO, yeah he's a real genius :lamo
Yet, you have to wake up every morning, as you spit in the sink, gnash your teeth, and cuss to yourself, that he is YOUR President....Now that is real comedy.

Mattiss is a well respected individual in the armed forces. Despite what sordid little stories were in the lower ranks when I served, he handled it all with stride. I expect him to do what is best for his country, much like I expect the same from Hyten.

How was it in the lower ranks when you served? Inquiring minds want to know.

You did of course receive instruction concerning an illegal order, ne c'est pas. Immoral order also. If so which is likely you seem to have dismissed it long ago if you did in fact take to the instruction of the time, place, circumstance. Fortunately Gen. Hyten and SecDef Mattis know of what the general speaks. In fact the two of 'em speak weekly as Gen. Hyten points out.

Gen. Thomas gave a Veteran's Day address at his duty station last year, McDill AFB. I could research it for some quotes that are surely precious but that would be a lot of effort indeed. All the same, the moment Gen. Thomas said, "Good Morning" he said two words more than Trump said on this Veteran's Day -- the whole of it. No one cares what Trump says on any day but as CinC and Potus Trump has a solemn and stately obligation to appear at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery, to include at Veterans' cemeteries in Europe where Trump went to ostensibly honor all Americans who wore the uniform. I refer to the uniforms of the United States branches of the armed forces of course, i.e., those who never saluted a NK general nor would they ever conceive of any such garbage.

Meantime I welcome your pronouncements, lectures, scoldings, accusations, complaints, whining, whinging and so on because that and more are blue smoke and mirrors apologia for Trump, always and persistently. It's nothing anyone here can't handle thx anyway.

So, you're complaining about Trump denigrating the service of fallen members, (of which I agree that he should have gone in both France, and here) by denigrating another posters service....Not only is that the definition of utter classless behavior, but quite an assholish move...

The poster made the statement and I inquired about it. I then discussed what all ranks get and know. So I wanted to know what other things the poster may have had in his bag when he referred to "the lower ranks," his service and SecDef Mattis.

(You seem to overlook that I was a second lieutenant which is perhaps the lowest rank in anything one could name of either a civilian equivalent or being in the actual military. All second lieutenants experience their eternal status as such to one extent or another. A pfc doesn't have those kind of issues of course.)

Trump is trying to recover his low standing at Pentagon, among the intelligence community and in the military in general by saying now he'll brave a visit to our forces in a foreign deployment, such as -- we hope -- Afghanistan (but perhaps not limited to the one theater of operations). So it looks like CinC/Potus Trump will brave his bone spurs to get both his boots and his big ass on the ground over there.

You deny repeatedly everything I say or you try to work around just about everything. So it doesn't matter what I post to you because this is your pattern. It's your pattern consistently in replying to virtually anyone. Your compulsion to lecture and scold is not the problem, as pathetic as it is. The problem is denial and circumvention of the issues.

Let me explain this as simply as I can for you.

Firstly, it doesn't matter that Gen. Raymond said what he did. His opinion is nothing new on the concept and neither is your willingness to hang onto his own words. His opinion, no matter the authority, or the rank of the man speaking it. Is still his opinion and should only be treated as such, not as gospel. Hyten on the other hand was being redundant. Because saying that he must disobey an illegal order should be what is considered, a no brainer. This also indicates that there may just be qualifications for him to abide by illegal orders, so long as no one is paying attention.

Your opinion on Trumps handling of veterans is noted.

Trump is in no way mandated to have a "positive" relationship with the pentagon. There have been presidents who have occupied this same exact sphere and those who have been on their good side as well. Everyone in the military and it's associated divisions have had issues with one president or the other in the past and you hanging onto their current disposition. Especially when it's mostly the upper brass that we know have an issue with the man and even then it's not all of them. Is yet another appeal to authority.

You break a second mold this time around. With making up stances that I have not even voiced at all through our previous interactions.

States trade seats all the time, though I willing inform you that many of them tend to stay constant over the course of several decades, or they may tend to flip on a dime as it were.
I haven't denied or dismissed anything about the pentagon reading elections results as of yet. Though it would be idiotic to think that they didn't.
It seems you're now stuck making almost outright lies about me Tangmo.

Are you really this backed into a corner that you have to take this route?
Because I would suggest you just keep running away instead of continuing this line of dialogue.

Let me explain this as simply as I can for you.

Firstly, it doesn't matter that Gen. Raymond said what he did. His opinion is nothing new on the concept and neither is your willingness to hang onto his own words.
Your opinion on Trumps handling of veterans is noted.

Trump is in no way mandated to have a "positive" relationship with the pentagon.

It seems you're now stuck making almost outright lies about me Tangmo.

Are you really this backed into a corner that you have to take this route?
Because I would suggest you just keep running away instead of continuing this line of dialogue.

There are no arguments in your posts, only B.S. which is entirely predictable and pathetic indeed. If you could not toss out accusations -- against everyone -- you'd be at a posting loss, completely. Oh that's right, you are at a loss to make arguments so you only accuse the poster and focus on the poster only while self-positioning as master of the universe.

I myself am focused on the fact you still have not said what you mean by the statement you posted: "Mattiss is a well respected individual in the armed forces. Despite what sordid little stories were in the lower ranks when I served, he handled it all with stride. I expect him to do what is best for his country, much like I expect the same from Hyten."

You refer of course to AF General John Hyten who commands the nuclear launch arsenal. I've referred to the general's long professional interaction with the retired general of Marines, the SecDef James Mattis. While the statement is indeed characteristic of your posts, it does go OTT in its desperation to avoid issues, argument, debate, sensible discussion, higher order thinking, analysis, synthesis, evaluation. In short your posts are petty and scatterbrained nonsense.

In a direct contrast to your downplaying, Donald Trump is not a normal CinC nor is Trump a normal Potus with only slight individual quirks and variations in each instance. Trump's military policy is characterized by statements and behaviors that are insulting of the armed services personnel of the United States. Trump offends the Constitution the armed services are sworn to preserve, protect, defend. Trump degrades military service and those who serve and who served, and he depreciates it. Gen. Thomas the special ops commander did speak of "unbelievable chaos" in our government.

Retired Admiral McRaven repeats: Trump's media attacks 'greatest threat to our democracy

WASHINGTON – Retired four-star Admiral William McRaven – the leader of the operation that killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden – fired back after President Donald Trump dismissed him as a "Hillary Clinton fan" and an "Obama-backer" in a Fox News interview that aired Sunday.

Trump made the comment during an exchange with "Fox News Sunday" host Chris Wallace of media being the "enemy of the American people." Wallace brought up McRaven's assertion that Trump's attitude toward the media constitutes "perhaps the greatest threat to democracy in my lifetime."

McRaven first made his comment about Trump's threat to democracy while speaking with journalism students in February 2017. He then wrote about the exchange in a blog post. "Each of us in government swears an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. The first amendment to that constitution assures freedom of speech and of the press. Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation."

https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/chancellor/blog/journalism-essential-democracy

Trump then pondered how "nice" it would have been "if we got Osama bin Laden a lot sooner" and implied finding him in Pakistan should have been easy. Former acting CIA director Michael Morrell said on Twitter that there was a "correction needed" in Trump's insinuation that McRaven should have found bin Laden sooner. He said it was the CIA that did the "finding" while McRaven's team did the "getting.' The retired admiral also went after Trump in an August letter published in The Washington Post for revoking former CIA director John Brennan's security clearance.

McRaven served 37 years in the Navy before retiring in 2014. A former SEAL and special forces commander, McRaven was operation commander of the task force that hunted down former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein in 2003.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...19/william-mcraven-responds-trump/2052836002/

Veterans Day 2018 marks the only instance of a severe severing between Pentagon chiefs and armed forces commanders to include significant numbers of troops, in the history of the United States. This is because Donald Trump is a freak in the White House. An imposter Potus/CinC who has as of November 11, 2018 passed the point of no return.

There are no arguments in your posts, only B.S. which is entirely predictable and pathetic indeed. If you could not toss out accusations -- against everyone -- you'd be at a posting loss, completely. Oh that's right, you are at a loss to make arguments so you only accuse the poster and focus on the poster only while self-positioning as master of the universe.

My statement about Mattis was just that, a statement. You should know that in any work environment, there exist rumors and in my case it was scuttlebutt. About those that serve above, or those that formerly did serve above you. Mattiss' name was not unblemished by this practice, though that probably is because many of the stories were unfounded, as usually was the case.

I'm now going to take the time to show that you are just trying to fling as much crap against the wall as you can, as to see what sticks. Because it's become apparent that no matter what I answer, you are going to keep backing away and just continue to play this silly game that you usually do.

It appears that I am playing the master simply because I am and were I not so starved for conversation at this hour, I would be simply content as to let you rot in your own self pity. But you're the main reason for your own failure in this instance Tangmo. As I have given answer after answer and all you do is run away, double down on this same appeal to authority, or fabricate something else to run to. As so you can force the conversation into some other redundant armature than the one you were currently failing in.

All you're doing is hanging on the opinion of others and pretending that they are somehow going to prove some errant fact that somehow, only you are capable of seeing. It isn't, as these men have their opinions and we all know what the saying about opinions is, right?

You throwing a bold drag line across the screen and three links that barely do more than clutter the screen is a perfect sign of how far you've been retreating and just how desperate you've become in all of this.

Because I've seen no indication that these men's opinions are actually happening, because no information to prove so is ever provided.

Can you at least back up one, as so we can actually start a discussion and stop with this silly game?

My statement about Mattis was just that, a statement. You should know that in any work environment, there exist rumors and in my case it was scuttlebutt. About those that serve above, or those that formerly did serve above you. Mattiss' name was not unblemished by this practice, though that probably is because many of the stories were unfounded, as usually was the case.

I'm now going to take the time to show that you are just trying to fling as much crap against the wall as you can, as to see what sticks. Because it's become apparent that no matter what I answer, you are going to keep backing away and just continue to play this silly game that you usually do.

It appears that I am playing the master simply because I am and were I not so starved for conversation at this hour, I would be simply content as to let you rot in your own self pity. But you're the main reason for your own failure in this instance Tangmo. As I have given answer after answer and all you do is run away, double down on this same appeal to authority, or fabricate something else to run to. As so you can force the conversation into some other redundant armature than the one you were currently failing in.

All you're doing is hanging on the opinion of others and pretending that they are somehow going to prove some errant fact that somehow, only you are capable of seeing. It isn't, as these men have their opinions and we all know what the saying about opinions is, right?

You throwing a bold drag line across the screen and three links that barely do more than clutter the screen is a perfect sign of how far you've been retreating and just how desperate you've become in all of this.

Because I've seen no indication that these men's opinions are actually happening, because no information to prove so is ever provided.

Can you at least back up one, as so we can actually start a discussion and stop with this silly game?

There is a debate at the thread about CinC/Potus failing to execute his duties of office. Posters are not the topic nor are posters ever the topic. References to posters are made yet posters are not the topic nor are posters ever the focus of a given thread and topic.

Trump’s Attacks on Admiral McRaven Have Successfully Pissed Off Everyone

Days after disrespecting the troops abroad, President Trump has enraged the military community at home

lead_large.jpg

President Obama leaving Marine One in 2013.

As one might expect, Trump’s comments have drawn bipartisan outrage.

“Adm. McRaven is not a partisan individual. He’s a decorated former SEAL … who served his nation, not a party. I believe he is speaking out because he feels a moral obligation to do so, and note that Pres. Trump said nothing to refute Adm. McRaven’s criticism,” said Sen. Jack Reed (D-RI).

“I don’t know if Adm. William McRaven shares my political views or not,” Sen Marco Rubio (R-FL) tweeted Monday morning. “But I do know that few Americans have sacrificed or risked more than he has to protect America & the freedoms we enjoy. His military career exemplified honor & excellence. I am grateful for his service.”

Retired Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling wasn’t so coy, calling Trump’s comments “disgusting.”

McRaven responded later on Sunday. “I did not back Hillary Clinton or anyone else,” he told CNN’s Jake Tapper. “I am a fan of President Obama and President George W. Bush, both of whom I worked for. I admire all Presidents, regardless of their political party, who uphold the dignity of the office and who use that office to bring the Nation together in challenging times.”

He added that he stands by his comments regarding Trump attacks on the free press.

Wallace also asked the president about his decision to skip his trip to the World War I cemetery in France, to which he lied that the Secret Service told him he couldn’t go. Many have pointed out that the decision was the president’s, and that it is the job of the Secret Service to facilitate whatever moves their boss wants to make.

When asked about his subsequent decision to bail on a trip to Arlington National Cemetery on Veterans Day, Trump said that he was “extremely busy on calls for the country” and that “we did a lot of calling as you know.” Trump’s schedule on Veterans Day was empty.

Perhaps responding to the backlash over his comments, the Republican Party on Sunday evening reminded its Twitter followers of what the president read off a sheet of paper last Thursday: “It’s our sacred duty to support America’s service members every single day they wear the uniform and every day after, when they return home as veterans and heroes, we take care of them.”

Former congressman John Dingell responded with a legitimate question: “What if it’s raining?”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-mcraven-bin-laden-758075/

Back
Top Bottom