• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Admits He Never Saw Video of US Payment to Iran

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Donald Trump backed off a false claim Friday morning, admitting he had not seen a video of a $400 million payment being unloaded from a US plane in Iran.

The Republican nominee had claimed at rallies twice this week that such a video existed, saying in Maine on Thursday that it was provided by Iranians “to embarrass our president because we have a president who’s incompetent.”

Turns out that Trump told a huge lie when he talked about the video describing the plane carrying a cash transfer to Iran. Why? Because the video never existed. Planned Parenthood is having a chuckle over that one too. Well, at least to Trump's credit, he didn't fabricate any video, but he did fabricate the lie.

Every day, Donald Trump sticks his foot even further into his own mouth. I am surprised he hasn't choked to death by now. LOL.

Article is here.

Turns out that Trump told a huge lie when he talked about the video describing the plane carrying a cash transfer to Iran. Why? Because the video never existed. Planned Parenthood is having a chuckle over that one too. Well, at least to Trump's credit, he didn't fabricate any video, but he did fabricate the lie.

Every day, Donald Trump sticks his foot even further into his own mouth. I am surprised he hasn't choked to death by now. LOL.

Article is here.

...And every day you're there to post whatever it is you think is his most recent gaffe. :roll:

So this time he does what he is supposed to do and fess up. Your reaction? Make it a negative.

Pretty normal reaction though, this hypocritical holier-than-thou judgmental viewpoint most of us display.

It is the root cause of political dishonesty, the very reason why seekers of public office have to make canned speeches vetted every-which-way-from-Sunday to make sure they offend the fewest people by focusing on platitudes and the Party line.

I suppose if he had remained silent or stuck to his guns you'd be even more tickled pink?

Whatever. :coffeepap:

...And every day you're there to post whatever it is you think is his most recent gaffe. :roll:

So this time he does what he is supposed to do and fess up. Your reaction? Make it a negative.

Pretty normal reaction though, this hypocritical holier-than-thou judgmental viewpoint most of us display.

It is the root cause of political dishonesty, the very reason why seekers of public office have to make canned speeches vetted every-which-way-from-Sunday to make sure they offend the fewest people by focusing on platitudes and the Party line.

I suppose if he had remained silent or stuck to his guns you'd be even more tickled pink?

I'd be happy if Trump just stopped telling these whoppers. As for political dishonesty, you attack me for pointing out that Trump lied? I always thought it was lying that was dishonest, politically or otherwise.

This isn't about whether he stuck to his guns or not, it's about the fact that he pulled something blatantly false out of his ass on the spot and presented it as truth, creating a little mini-scandal in the news. You can feel free to continue to defend all of the ridiculous **** he does and says, but he's shown over and over and over again that virtually every word out of his mouth is a lie with no relation to the truth.

It is the root cause of political dishonesty

Trump could virtually be the definition of dishonesty.

Whatever you want to say about Hillarys dishonesty, and certainly alot can be said, you cannot also defend Trumps, or make light of it.

Fact check after fact check continually shows, that close to nothing Trump says, ever, is true.

All politicians lie, all bend facts to their narrative, all will break promises when it becomes politically feasible to abandon them, or unfeasible to hold to them.

But Trump takes dishonesty and demagoguery to insane levels.

Article is here.

He might be confusing it with the pallet-loads of American currency that went into Iraq, unaccounted for.

I'd be happy if Trump just stopped telling these whoppers. As for political dishonesty, you attack me for pointing out that Trump lied? I always thought it was lying that was dishonest, politically or otherwise.

No. I responded to your slant that his admission was somehow a negative rather than a proper act as we should expect of someone who made an incorrect statement.

Meanwhile, doing personal research on the actual issue I find you were parroting the false reporting in the press, which report that he stated he SAW the tapes and the money.

Here is the video of his speech:

Here is the quote from a news article:

“The tape was made right, you saw that? With the airplane coming in -- nice plane -- and the airplane coming in and the money coming off I guess, right?” Trump told a crowd in Portland, Maine, on Thursday. “That was given to us, has to be, by the Iranians and you know why the tape was given to us? Because they want to embarrass our country, they want to embarrass our country.”
Was Trump right? Iran video may show US cash payment | Fox News

Think Fox is biased? Here's the same quote from the L.A. Times:

"A tape was made, you saw that? With the airplane coming in … and the money coming off, I guess,” he said while addressing supporters in Portland, Maine.
Donald Trump repeats false claim of tape showing cash delivered to Iran - LA Times

This turns into "I saw the money on the plane." How?

This is what bothers me about media reporting. They tell you what he said, and it turns out NOT to be what he said, just what they want you to think he said.

This isn't about whether he stuck to his guns or not, it's about the fact that he pulled something blatantly false out of his ass on the spot and presented it as truth, creating a little mini-scandal in the news. You can feel free to continue to defend all of the ridiculous **** he does and says, but he's shown over and over and over again that virtually every word out of his mouth is a lie with no relation to the truth.

SEE ABOVE.

Last edited:
It's the first mistake the guy has owned. Give him some credit.

It's the first mistake the guy has owned. Give him some credit.

What next? Do we all give him a thunderous round of applause because he remembered to brush his teeth before bedtime? Or how about we give him the Congressional Medal of Honor because he decided not to run down a group of school children with his car while they were crossing a street? But no, he's lowered the bar so fantastically low that he can tell any horrendous lie, and we should "give him some credit" because for once in his life he was actually shamed into walking it back.

****ing ridiculous.

What next? Do we all give him a thunderous round of applause because he remembered to brush his teeth before bedtime? Or how about we give him the Congressional Medal of Honor because he decided not to run down a group of school children with his car while they were crossing a street? But no, he's lowered the bar so fantastically low that he can tell any horrendous lie, and we should "give him some credit" because for once in his life he was actually shamed into walking it back.

****ing ridiculous.

It kinda seems like personal growth. That should be applauded.

It kinda seems like personal growth. That should be applauded.

Yes, I applaud him for making one small step away from malignant narcissistic sociopathy. And he should continue down this fantabulous path of spiritual evolution while not being within a billion light years of occupying the White House.

Yes, I applaud him for making one small step away from malignant narcissistic sociopathy. And he should continue down this fantabulous path of spiritual evolution while not being within a billion light years of occupying the White House.

See? Now that's supportive.

No. I responded to your slant that his admission was somehow a negative rather than a proper act as we should expect of someone who made an incorrect statement.

Meanwhile, doing personal research on the actual issue I find you were parroting the false reporting in the press, which report that he stated he SAW the tapes and the money.

Donald Trump repeats false claim of tape showing cash delivered to Iran - LA Times

This is what bothers me about media reporting. They tell you what he said, and it turns out NOT to be what he said, just what they want you to think he said.

SEE ABOVE.

That tape was a plane with the released hostages coming in. A tape with a plane with cash for Iran does not exist. So he said "I guess". So what? He was fanning the flames for his ignorant supporters who then naturally believed there was a plane load of money for Iran. There are many ways to tell a lie. Trump is an expert at using all of them. When your crowds are that ignorant, it's not hard.

Last edited:

SEE ABOVE.

Apparently folks are only into generalization of what was said and not the specifics.

That tape was a plane with the released hostages coming in. A tape with a plane with cash for Iran does not exist. So he said "I guess". So what? He was fanning the flames for his ignorant supporters who then naturally believed there was a plane load of money for Iran. There are many ways to tell a lie. Trump is an expert at using all of them. When your crowds are that ignorant, it's not hard.
No. Captain Adverse already pointed out the specifics.

Here is the English language version of the supposed video.
You can see the supposed money used in the swap @ 11:24.

@ 11:45 the narrator says 400 million cash was delivered by the plane.

13921016_1131715173571376_3758502201353399132_n.jpg

Apparently folks are only into generalization of what was said and not the specifics.

No. Captain Adverse already pointed out the specifics.

Yes, money was given to Iran, and it had diddly squat to do with Obama.

The 400 million dollars was paid to Iran because that is the amount that Iran paid for military equipment that was never delivered because of the overthrow of the Shah. The litigation on this issue has been ongoing since 1981, when both Ronald Reagan and Ayatollah Khomeini agreed to have this settled in the World Court at the Hague. The US finally lost the case, and after another delay, finally paid up in January, as ordered by the court. This had absolutely nothing to do with the recent release of hostages around the same time. Trump lied to you again, and once again, you believed him. According to US Constitution, all debts incurred by the United States must be paid.

Article VI - "This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land"

which means that Congress has no control over any treaty made by a president, in this case, President Reagan.

14th Amendment - "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law... shall not be questioned"

We owe the money. We must pay it. It was authorized by law, due to the treaty Reagan made with Iran to have this litigated before the World Court. America is not Donald Trump. We pay our bills. To not pay our bills violates the Constitution.

The 400 million dollars was paid to Iran because that is the amount that Iran paid for military equipment that was never delivered because of the overthrow of the Shah. The litigation on this issue has been ongoing since 1981, when both Ronald Reagan and Ayatollah Khomeini agreed to have this settled in the World Court at the Hague. The US finally lost the case, and after another delay, finally paid up in January, as ordered by the court. This had absolutely nothing to do with the recent release of hostages around the same time. Trump lied to you again, and once again, you believed him. According to US Constitution, all debts incurred by the United States must be paid.

Article VI - "This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land"

which means that Congress has no control over any treaty made by a president, in this case, President Reagan.

14th Amendment - "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law... shall not be questioned"

We owe the money. We must pay it. It was authorized by law, due to the treaty Reagan made with Iran to have this litigated before the World Court. America is not Donald Trump. We pay our bills. To not pay our bills violates the Constitution.
You are going off on a tangent from that which was addressed. But I understand your reluctance to address that now.

So to what you did address.
And yet, all those years we didn't pay it. Go figure.
Paying it when we did and for what we did doesn't mean we did not honor any treaty, nor does any treaty mean that is the sole reason it was given to them.

Fact of the matter is seems that it was used as ransom.

Like the video said. The 400 million cash was delivered by the plane.
To suggest the two are not connected is as asinine as suggesting that an obligation couldn't be used as ransom.

From January of this year.

Iran general: US paid Tehran $1.7 billion to release ‘spies’
US denies claim by Basij officer that settlement of suit dating to 1979 Islamic revolution bought return of 4 US prisoners

An Iranian general this week claimed that the $400 million debt and $1.3 billion in interest the US has agreed to pay Iran from a pre-revolution international legal tribunal, was actually a ransom to secure the release of dual citizens recently freed by Iran as part of a prisoner swap.

[...]

Iran general: US paid Tehran $1.7 billion to release 'spies' | The Times of Israel

Oh no, no, no, no, the U.S. did not "lose the case" in January 2015. The case was "settled" in January 2015, a day after Iran agreed to both release the prisoners and accept the Nuclear deal.

The U.S. State Department announced the government had agreed to pay Iran $1.7 billion to settle a case related to the sale of military equipment prior to the Iranian revolution, according to a statement issued on Sunday...Another official said discussions on this claim had occurred in "fits and starts for three decades," and that the settlement, "reduced a significant risk of liability."
U.S. to pay Iran $1.7 billion in legal settlement - CNNPolitics.com

Clearly, the only reason to settle the case was to encourage the Iranian government to release the hostages and agree to our nuclear treaty terms. The case had remained in limbo since 1981; it could very well have stayed unsettled for another 30 years.

Fact-checking is helpful before posting.

Last edited:

Article is here.

Your link makes it very clear that Trump explained he had misinterpreted the video and what plane was being shown. He didn't lie. He made an assumption about the video that was incorrect. The video APPARENTLY showed the hostages' plane. I saw it.

You call it an intentional lie. The article calls it a lie in its headline. Another blatant misrepresentation by the media and Dan.

You would do well to question the media this election cycle, Dan. They are misrepresenting many things.

Your link makes it very clear that Trump explained he had misinterpreted the video and what plane was being shown. He didn't lie. He made an assumption about the video that was incorrect. The video APPARENTLY showed the hostages' plane. I saw it.

You call it an intentional lie. The article calls it a lie in its headline. Another blatant misrepresentation by the media and Dan.

You would do well to question the media this election cycle, Dan. They are misrepresenting many things.

because its a big lie, and an important one, hes not lying about something that doesn't matter like whether he fired roger stone or he quit first, this is a US presidential candidate claiming in front of thousands of people and on national tv, that US paid $400 million in hostage payments. Something that encourages kidnappings of american citizens abroad, which makes it a dangerous lie, and a huge accusation. Just like his accusation that the elections are rigged, its one thing if "businessman donald trump" shoots off at the mouth and says stupid stuff, but a presidential candidate declaring to world that the elections are rigged, means every single government, like north korea for example who claims US elections are illegitimate, now have proof thanks to donald. These kinds of lies are inappropriate for a news pundit, let alone a presidential candidate.

because its a big lie, and an important one, hes not lying about something that doesn't matter like whether he fired roger stone or he quit first, this is a US presidential candidate claiming in front of thousands of people and on national tv, that US paid $400 million in hostage payments. Something that encourages kidnappings of american citizens abroad, which makes it a dangerous lie, and a huge accusation. Just like his accusation that the elections are rigged, its one thing if "businessman donald trump" shoots off at the mouth and says stupid stuff, but a presidential candidate declaring to world that the elections are rigged, means every single government, like north korea for example who claims US elections are illegitimate, now have proof thanks to donald. These kinds of lies are inappropriate for a news pundit, let alone a presidential candidate.

You're kidding, right? It WAS the equivalent of ransom. The DOJ advised against this ridiculous CASH TRANSACTION and went unheeded. Advisors cautioned against the timing of this supposedly coincidental deal. Unheeded. And it most certainly does encourage further kidnappings...even if the remarkable coincidence IS true.

Further, Trump is HARDLY the only person criticizing this ridiculous move.

So.

Why did Obama agree to settle this 30 year-old claim a day after Iran agreed to return the hostages and accept the nuclear agreement? Just bad timing? :roll:

Sometimes I wonder just how much our fellow Forum anti-Trump pundits actually understand about international diplomacy. :coffeepap:

You're kidding, right? It WAS the equivalent of ransom. The DOJ advised against this ridiculous CASH TRANSACTION and went unheeded. Advisors cautioned against the timing of this supposedly coincidental deal. Unheeded. And it most certainly does encourage further kidnappings...even if the remarkable coincidence IS true.

Further, Trump is HARDLY the only person criticizing this ridiculous move.

then why is he apologizing? if your saying the president paid $400 million in ransom that is ahuge accusation just like when he said the elections are rigged. These are lies and accusations that have consequences

then why is he apologizing? if your saying the president paid $400 million in ransom that is ahuge accusation just like when he said the elections are rigged. These are lies and accusations that have consequences

What are the consequences of roundly criticizing a move that walks, looks and quacks like a duck?

He's apologizing because he confused the videos.

There IS a video provided by some middle east group purporting to show a pallet of money and a plane that allegedly delivered it. Or did you miss Excon's post?

As for this:

why is this just being brought up now? payiing ransom for the first time in history for hostages is ahuge deal, this was arranged in january and was made public? because its a lie, trump watched some conspiracy video (like what was just posted), just like the video trump saw about muslims applauding 9/11 in new jersey. and now his loyal followers are playing clean up AGAIN

its sad

NO!

Not "playing clean-up." The man did what people like you have been demanding he do for a while and admitted he made a mistake.

So what do you do? Turn it into a negative...he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't; that's true bias.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom