• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump administration unsure if thousands more migrant families were separated than ...

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From ABC News

Trump administration unsure if thousands more migrant families were separated than originally estimated, legal filing shows

President Donald Trump's administration does not know how many migrant children were separated from their parents at the southern border in the year before the "zero-tolerance" policy launched, and is unlikely to figure it out, according to court papers filed Friday night.

Last month, an internal government report found that during the Trump administration, thousands more kids may have been separated from their parents at the border than was previously known and that a "steep increase" of separations began in the summer of 2017, almost a year before the "zero-tolerance" policy was announced by then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions in the spring of 2018.

(MORE: 'Depth of the horror of family separation is unknown': Congresswoman in border area)

The findings by the Health and Human Services Inspector General's office suggest that tough immigration policies embraced early in Trump's term contributed to the family separations.

COMMENT:-

When you combine this story with "Report: ICE doesn't always hold contractors accountable", it looks a lot like "We don't care how many kids we lock up, and we don't care what happens to them once they are locked up either." - but I'm sure that "Team Trump" has a perfectly logical answer to the questions that these two articles raise.

Well, don't they?

From ABC News

Trump administration unsure if thousands more migrant families were separated than originally estimated, legal filing shows

President Donald Trump's administration does not know how many migrant children were separated from their parents at the southern border in the year before the "zero-tolerance" policy launched, and is unlikely to figure it out, according to court papers filed Friday night.

Last month, an internal government report found that during the Trump administration, thousands more kids may have been separated from their parents at the border than was previously known and that a "steep increase" of separations began in the summer of 2017, almost a year before the "zero-tolerance" policy was announced by then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions in the spring of 2018.

(MORE: 'Depth of the horror of family separation is unknown': Congresswoman in border area)

The findings by the Health and Human Services Inspector General's office suggest that tough immigration policies embraced early in Trump's term contributed to the family separations.

COMMENT:-

When you combine this story with "Report: ICE doesn't always hold contractors accountable", it looks a lot like "We don't care how many kids we lock up, and we don't care what happens to them once they are locked up either." - but I'm sure that "Team Trump" has a perfectly logical answer to the questions that these two articles raise.

Well, don't they?

It's clear that Democrat Escobar has a political agenda and is using a false narrative to smear ICE.

Kirstjen Nielsen, the secretary of the department of homeland security, has defended the so-called zero-tolerance and said it was never U.S. policy to separate children.

Sec. Kirstjen Nielsen

@SecNielsen
· Jun 17, 2018
This misreporting by Members, press & advocacy groups must stop. It is irresponsible and unproductive. As I have said many times before, if you are seeking asylum for your family, there is no reason to break the law and illegally cross between ports of entry.

Sec. Kirstjen Nielsen

@SecNielsen
We do not have a policy of separating families at the border. Period.

1:52 PM - Jun 17, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy
63.5K people are talking about this
On Thursday, a spokesman for DHS said the department was looking at every option.

“The Trump administration has made clear that all legal options are on the table to enforce the rule of law, rein in mass unchecked illegal immigration, and defend our borders," said a spokeswoman in an emailed statement.

Still, Escobar does not feel confident the American public is getting the complete truth.

“I think the depth of the horror of family separation is unknown,” she said.
https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-c...ngresswoman-border-district/story?id=60474005

It's clear that Democrat Escobar has a political agenda and is using a false narrative to smear ICE.

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-c...ngresswoman-border-district/story?id=60474005

Indeed, it is highly biased and prejudiced to use last month's internal government report that found that during the Trump administration, thousands more kids may have been separated from their parents at the border than was previously known to spread the "Fake News" that during the Trump administration, thousands more kids may have been separated from their parents at the border than was previously known.

That this so-called "government" so-called "report" is flatly contradicted by statements made six or seven months before this so-called "government" so-called "report" was so-called "released" just makes using it to say what it purports to say even worse.

Today's GOP: purposefully destroying families and traumatizing children as a matter of policy.

Indeed, it is highly biased and prejudiced to use last month's internal government report that found that during the Trump administration, thousands more kids may have been separated from their parents at the border than was previously known to spread the "Fake News" that during the Trump administration, thousands more kids may have been separated from their parents at the border than was previously known.

That this so-called "government" so-called "report" is flatly contradicted by statements made six or seven months before this so-called "government" so-called "report" was so-called "released" just makes using it to say what it purports to say even worse.

You're fear mongering.

The report stated that "thousands more kids may have been separatedfrom their parents at the border than was previously known"
The report did not state that "thousands more kids were separated from their parents at the border than was previously known.

Hence your very first statement in your O/P, "President Donald Trump's administration does not know how many migrant children were separated from their parents at the southern border in the year before the "zero-tolerance" policy launched, and is unlikely to figure it out, according to court papers filed Friday night." is a strawman fallacy.

You're fear mongering.

The report stated that "thousands more kids may have been separatedfrom their parents at the border than was previously known"
The report did not state that "thousands more kids were separated from their parents at the border than was previously known.

And, although you probably didn't notice it - neither did I.

Hence your very first statement in your O/P, "President Donald Trump's administration does not know how many migrant children were separated from their parents at the southern border in the year before the "zero-tolerance" policy launched, and is unlikely to figure it out, according to court papers filed Friday night." is a strawman fallacy.

I guess that you missed the "When you combine this story with ... , it looks a lot like ..." (emphasis added) bit.

Might I suggest a tiny reduction in the amount of highly refined sugar in your diet might improve your ability to concentrate rather than simply pretend that other people are saying things that they didn't say?

PS - Might I also suggest that you find out what a "Strawman Fallacy" actually is?

Last edited:
And, although you probably didn't notice it - neither did I.

I guess that you missed the "When you combine this story with ... , it looks a lot like ..." (emphasis added) bit.

Might I suggest a tiny reduction in the amount of highly refined sugar in your diet might improve your ability to concentrate rather than simply pretend that other people are saying things that they didn't say?

PS - Might I also suggest that you find out what a "Strawman Fallacy" actually is?

hqdefault.jpg

Have a nice run!
:2wave:

hqdefault.jpg

Have a nice run!
:2wave:

I find that your defining of "back pedal" as "referring to what was actually said" to be just slightly on the far side of hilarious.

PS - In my opinion, anyone who would actually feed "Trix" to kids should be charged with child endangerment. If they go all the way to "Chocolate Krave" then it should be "felony child abuse".

Back
Top Bottom