• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump administration refusing unemployment to furloughed workers

From the way I read the article, that is what the administration is preventing. If they haven't technically lost hours (as would be the case for those working without pay) the administration is arguing they are not entitled to unemployment.

Furloughed workers are not working at all. It means they are still "employed" by the government, but sent home without work until the shutdown is over. They are the non-essential workers. So Trump is saying although they are not working or getting paid they can not get unemployment. It could be because they will receive back pay once the shutdown is over for the period they were not working.

The law that the Dept. of Labor must abide by.

I think t has nothing to do with the law, because you can be working and still get unemployment. I know, when i had to reduce hours for workers in the past, they were able to "make up" the pay with unemployment. I think though that Congress passed and the president signed a bill that would give everyone back pay. If that is so, then they would not be able to collect unemployment as it would mean getting paid twice for the same period.

Furloughed workers are not working at all. It means they are still "employed" by the government, but sent home without work until the shutdown is over. They are the non-essential workers. So Trump is saying although they are not working or getting paid they can not get unemployment. It could be because they will receive back pay once the shutdown is over for the period they were not working.

No, they won't. Furlough, by definition, is a layoff. The only people who can expect back pay are the ones who are being forced to work without pay right now. If you were furloughed, it was so that they didn't have to pay you for being there, and they also don't have to backpay you for not being there.

Back
Top Bottom