• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump administration refusing unemployment to furloughed workers

lwf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article224723765.html

The Trump administration is preventing states from awarding unemployment to furloughed workers because they are not technically "unemployed."

First thought: They deserve unemployment (likely a fraction of their normal pay) to help them survive the shutdown ON TOP OF full back pay once the shutdown is resolved.

If that's too expensive, grant them unemployment now and then take those earnings out of their back pay once they receive it. Even that is a bit of a kick in the teeth, but at least they aren't being completely screwed.

Is there some reason they can't get temprorary welfare?
/

Government employees receiving unemployment checks would put a dent in Trumps hostage scheme.

You have to give the man credit, he sure knows how to make friends. I'm sure this will help to get him re-elected.

You have to give the man credit, he sure knows how to make friends. I'm sure this will help to get him re-elected.

It will make him a hero to the whole hate the government (except for the stuff need to survive) crowd......

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article224723765.html

The Trump administration is preventing states from awarding unemployment to furloughed workers because they are not technically "unemployed."

First thought: They deserve unemployment (likely a fraction of their normal pay) to help them survive the shutdown ON TOP OF full back pay once the shutdown is resolved.

If that's too expensive, grant them unemployment now and then take those earnings out of their back pay once they receive it. Even that is a bit of a kick in the teeth, but at least they aren't being completely screwed.

Trump doesn’t give a s**t about the federal workers not being paid. He’s still waiting and hoping for the tide of disapproval to move away from him an turn on the Dems, even though there is no logical reason to believe so.

He's saving that money for his wall...:2razz:

It will make him a hero to the whole hate the government (except for the stuff need to survive) crowd......

Which is the thirty percent of republicans who will support him no matter what.

I was a Fed employee in the 2013 shutdown. If they receive backpay for time missed they will have to repay the unemployment funds. Obama did authorize OPM to allow us to file.

Trump doesn’t give a s**t about the federal workers not being paid. He’s still waiting and hoping for the tide of disapproval to move away from him an turn on the Dems, even though there is no logical reason to believe so.

Just a head's up. You have to allow the censor software to work fully. You can get gigged for what you did above.

Tried to send a PM, but closed.

/

welfare is done by states, not fed govt

welfare is given only when you have almost no assets at all, i.e. they'd have to spend down any savings they have first

Which is the thirty percent of republicans who will support him no matter what.

i am afraid it's more like 35%+ of all, not just republicans

I posted on another board a long time ago that I wished that every Trump voter was a vendor or sub contractor of a Trump business.

This is almost as good. Many Trump voters work for the government and they need to feel the pain. They need to learn a lesson.

Let's make it forty and trump still loses next election.

Fine by me, but the problem IMO is that 35%+ of people are still willing to support someone like him. I think that's scary in itself.

Fine by me, but the problem IMO is that 35%+ of people are still willing to support someone like him. I think that's scary in itself.

It's not just scary, it's dangerous. When americans at a trump rally wear t-shirts saying they would rather be russian than democrat...yeah, very scary, very dangerous.

/

Well, its something like this.

When a normal person (to be read, not a federal employee) files for unemployment, they are filing to recieve funds that thier now former employer put into a fund for them. That is why you have to be able to prove that you were not fired for cause and didn't quit. Determining eligibility and all that....

Even though unemployment is handled at the state level, there is a different "pool" of money, per se, for federal employees, and just like a normal person, they have to be able to prove that they didn't quit and weren't fired for cause, but in this case, the federal government is the employer who they are trying to get the funds from.

The Department of Labor in this case basically told California that noone who filed would be approved for access to those funds put in by the federal government because they aren't actually unemployed, unless they have decided to willingly terminate thier job with the government, thereby making them ineligible anyway because they would have quit.

****ed up, for sure.

Now see? That's what Trump gets for abiding by the law.

Now see? That's what Trump gets for abiding by the law.

That's what federal employees get with President Hamberders

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down.”

In many states, including the one I live in, if you are working fewer hours than you used to, you can claim benefits for the hours you lost. SO these employees would get benefits unless Trump through Executive Order made that unlawful.

In many states, including the one I live in, if you are working fewer hours than you used to, you can claim benefits for the hours you lost. SO these employees would get benefits unless Trump through Executive Order made that unlawful.

From the way I read the article, that is what the administration is preventing. If they haven't technically lost hours (as would be the case for those working without pay) the administration is arguing they are not entitled to unemployment.

Just a head's up. You have to allow the censor software to work fully. You can get gigged for what you did above.

Tried to send a PM, but closed.
Thanks for the info. I was actually trying not to get gigged.

Back
Top Bottom