• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump administration orders the closing of Stars and Stripes newspaper

BlueTex

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Pathetic...

A coalition of Republican and Democratic senators are calling on the Defense Department to reinstate funding for Stars and Stripes, the editorially independent military newspaper whose future was put in doubt earlier this year after the Pentagon proposed shifting money away from the outlet.

In a letter sent to Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Wednesday, the senators argued that funding for the newspaper represented a tiny fraction of the department's annual budget and that cutting it could have a "significantly negative impact on military families."

"We understand that DoD plans to cease publication of Stars and Stripes on September 30, 2020 and completely dissolve the organization by January 31, 2021 as a result of the proposed termination of funding in the fiscal year 2021 President's budget," states the letter, which was spearheaded by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.). Signatories included Sens. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), a veteran, Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.).

Senators call on Pentagon to reinstate funding for Stars and Stripes newspaper | TheHill

I'm curious as to why you think this is a bad thing?

I'm curious as to why you think this is a bad thing?

Stars and Stripes is a staple of the US Army and has been since the Civil War.

The fact that Trump has ordered it shut down after it released polls showing the majority of Army servicemen and women don't support him, only makes it more suspect.

Stars and Stripes is a staple of the US Army and has been since the Civil War. The fact that Trump has ordered it shut down after it released polls showing the majority of Army servicemen and women don't support him, only makes it more suspect.
There in is the answer.

I have read Stars and Stripes many times. 15 years ago, when I was in Iraq, the paper was dated and the bulk of actual news came from net sources. If I picked one up, it was for the sudoku and word puzzles. That's all NYT is good for now.

Back
Top Bottom