• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump admin moves to ban bump stocks

Mr Person

A Little Bitter
Suspended
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The Trump administration on Tuesday took first steps to ban the sale of bump stocks on semi-automatic weapons and has made them illegal to possess beginning in late March. Bump stocks, which allow semi-automatic weapons to fire rapidly like automatic firearms, have come under increasing scrutiny after they were used in October 2017 when a man opened fired from his Las Vegas hotel suite into a crowd at a country music concert below, killing 58 people and injuring hundreds more in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

“Following the mass shooting in Las Vegas, ATF received correspondence from members of the United States Congress, as well as nongovernmental organizations, requesting that ATF examine its past classifications and determine whether bump-stock type devices available on the market constitute machineguns under the statutory definition,” the regulation, which was signed by Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker on Tuesday morning, noted. It continued: “The Department decided to move forward with the rulemaking process to clarify the meaning of these terms, which are used in the NFA's (National Firearms Act) statutory definition of ‘machinegun.’”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...stocks-makes-them-illegal-to-possess-by-march

Did I hit my head this morning or something? Aren't Democrats supposed to be the ones who want gun control and Republicans the ones who act like any new gun control will eventually but inexorably lead to a dystopian nightmare?

Anyway, I don't see any reasonable argument for what ownership of a bump stock has to do with the core right of self-defense, so I suspect it will stand up to someone's inevitable suit. Isn't it supposed to be even harder to aim with a gun fitted with one than with one built to be full-automatic? They only real point is being able to blast a lot of people in a crowd at once, OR perhaps to see if you can hit the target just once per hundred rounds....

Well, it still probably won't matter at all in the long run. The next mass shooter will just have to make do without a bump stock. (And only one used one, right?).

(And can't you still have a fully automatic in any number of states? Just need a 'tax stamp' or....waiver or...some sort of thing like that that you pay for. Right?)

Last edited:
Mollifying.

Most of the people I know are fine with this. It's really a smart move politically for the Republicans to support this

Most of the people I know are fine with this. It's really a smart move politically for the Republicans to support this

It's a horrible precedent to bypass Congress in creating a new law. If the goal is actually to prevent bump fire, they'll have to outlaw belt loops, string and fingers.

The Trump administration on Tuesday took first steps to ban the sale of bump stocks on semi-automatic weapons and has made them illegal to possess beginning in late March. Bump stocks, which allow semi-automatic weapons to fire rapidly like automatic firearms, have come under increasing scrutiny after they were used in October 2017 when a man opened fired from his Las Vegas hotel suite into a crowd at a country music concert below, killing 58 people and injuring hundreds more in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

“Following the mass shooting in Las Vegas, ATF received correspondence from members of the United States Congress, as well as nongovernmental organizations, requesting that ATF examine its past classifications and determine whether bump-stock type devices available on the market constitute machineguns under the statutory definition,” the regulation, which was signed by Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker on Tuesday morning, noted. It continued: “The Department decided to move forward with the rulemaking process to clarify the meaning of these terms, which are used in the NFA's (National Firearms Act) statutory definition of ‘machinegun.’”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...stocks-makes-them-illegal-to-possess-by-march

Did I hit my head this morning or something? Aren't Democrats supposed to be the ones who want gun control and Republicans the ones who act like any new gun control will eventually but inexorably lead to a dystopian nightmare?

Anyway, I don't see any reasonable argument for what ownership of a bump stock has to do with the core right of self-defense, so I suspect it will stand up to someone's inevitable suit. Isn't it supposed to be even harder to aim with a gun fitted with one than with one built to be full-automatic? They only real point is being able to blast a lot of people in a crowd at once, OR perhaps to see if you can hit the target just once per hundred rounds....

Well, it still probably won't matter at all in the long run. The next mass shooter will just have to make do without a bump stock. (And only one used one, right?).

(And can't you still have a fully automatic in any number of states? Just need a 'tax stamp' or....waiver or...some sort of thing like that that you pay for. Right?)

Since the NRA is essentially non-existent at this point, there's no pressure anymore and Trump wants a win. Where's TD hiding??? I can't wait for the turtle to come out of his shell and explain it all to us!

I don't think this really counts as a gun control measure. People who still want to do rapid pulls on the trigger of a semiautomatic weapon can still do so without a bump stock. I don't belive these were ever seen as more than just a gimmick.

Silly decision. Its a populist, appeasement action based on a non-issue. It wont solve anything, stop anything, and damn sure wont win him any support from those that are already warped in their mindless hatred of him.

Since the NRA is essentially non-existent at this point, there's no pressure anymore and Trump wants a win. Where's TD hiding??? I can't wait for the turtle to come out of his shell and explain it all to us!

for me to do that-you would have to understand the issues. one can fire a semi auto rifle or pistol as quickly without a "bomb fire" stock as with one. read this

Silly decision. Its a populist, appeasement action based on a non-issue. It wont solve anything, stop anything, and damn sure wont win him any support from those that are already warped in their mindless hatred of him.

I don't think this really counts as a gun control measure. People who still want to do rapid pulls on the trigger of a semiautomatic weapon can still do so without a bump stock. I don't belive these were ever seen as more than just a gimmick.

the Hughes amendment is what created Bump stock markets

It's a horrible precedent to bypass Congress in creating a new law. If the goal is actually to prevent bump fire, they'll have to outlaw belt loops, string and fingers.
While I disagree with the decision, it really isnt establishing a new law. Its just assigning a definition...one that has changed with different administrations. The ATF made a decision...a ruling...that BumpFire stocks didnt change the ACTION of a semiautomatic rifle, therefore they werent illegal. Essentially...this is an "upon further review...." change of mind.

And if anyone thinks 1-bumpfire stocks are an actual problem or 2-this actions SOLVES the perceived problem, they know literally nothing about firing a semiautomatic firearm.

While I disagree with the decision, it really isnt establishing a new law. Its just assigning a definition...one that has changed with different administrations. The ATF made a decision...a ruling...that BumpFire stocks didnt change the ACTION of a semiautomatic rifle, therefore they werent illegal. Essentially...this is an "upon further review...." change of mind.

And if anyone thinks 1-bumpfire stocks are an actual problem or 2-this actions SOLVES the perceived problem, they know literally nothing about firing a semiautomatic firearm.

it is pandering pure and simple and the only reason why these silly bump stocks exist is due to the idiotic Hughes Amendment.

In my opinion it will stop bump stocks from being used. If someone else comes up with another way around the add-on (bump stocks.) that too can be addressed.:thumbs:

In my opinion it will stop bump stocks from being used. If someone else comes up with another way around the add-on (bump stocks.) that too can be addressed.:thumbs:

Only a revolution in semi auto design could prevent the multitude of gimmicks that can cause a semi to dump.

Ummmm.....

Grip weapon. Press forward. Pull trigger. Commonly used for decades....long before bump stocks became a 'thing'.

it is pandering pure and simple and the only reason why these silly bump stocks exist is due to the idiotic Hughes Amendment.

Yep. And its still lost on people that fully automatic weapons are NOT banned...they just require a license (there are approx 640,000 in legal use today)...and they are expensive as all get out.

Not for nothing...but the line that stands out to me in the AP article "Police said the gunman in the Las Vegas massacre, Stephen Paddock, fired for more than 10 minutes using multiple weapons outfitted with target scopes and bump stocks."

And if anyone cant see whats wrong with that picture........

Yep. And its still lost on people that fully automatic weapons are NOT banned...they just require a license (there are approx 640,000 in legal use today)...and they are expensive as all get out.

Not for nothing...but the line that stands out to me in the AP article "Police said the gunman in the Las Vegas massacre, Stephen Paddock, fired for more than 10 minutes using multiple weapons outfitted with target scopes and bump stocks."

And if anyone cant see whats wrong with that picture........

the hughes amendment-improperly attached to the pro firearm owners act, was interpreted as preventing the future "registration" of automatic weapons for private possession and thus worked as a complete ban for private ownership of any such firearm made after May 19,1986. Clearly unconstitutional if the second amendment or even the USSC case law was followed. This causes 1500 dollar NFA registered weapons to increase by ten fold in cost.

yes, that is brilliant!! someone who doesn't care about 50 murder convictions will avoid being caught with a Bump stock-a device that has only ONCE been used in any known murder. Good thinking there, Bob

Ummmm.....

Grip weapon. Press forward. Pull trigger. Commonly used for decades....long before bump stocks became a 'thing'.

Bob will soon demand all such semis should be banned.

"Machine-gun", as defined by Congress, means multiple shots for a single operation of the trigger. Bump stocks manipulate the trigger again and again. This device cannot be a machine gun as defined in law; if they want to ban them, change the law through legislative action, not executive branch fiat.

"Machine-gun", as defined by Congress, means multiple shots for a single operation of the trigger. Bump stocks manipulate the trigger again and again. This device cannot be a machine gun as defined in law; if they want to ban them, change the law through legislative action, not executive branch fiat.

OK, I agree.

Change the law

Ban them

Change the law again...ban all guns.

Be careful what you wish for. An EO can easily be undone by future administrations laws not so much.

Yes it is but the precedent is set and our next President is sure to take full advantage. Thanks Trump you have made executive orders great again.

Back
Top Bottom