• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump admin held back phone numbers and addresses that could have reunited separated migrant children with parents

justabubba

long standing member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

^ the only source i can find
David Bash The New Civil Rights Movement

The Trump administration has been holding back information, including telephone numbers and addresses, of parents whose children they separated at the border. The administration, in a deliberate and planned program intentionally broke apart migrant families to send a message to others from Central America to not come to the United States.

After federal courts ordered the administration to reunite families, 666 children remained without families.

... But now, in the waning days of the Trump administration, it turns out all along they had information that could have helped to reunite the children with their parents, but refused to hand it over.

... “We have been repeatedly asking the Trump administration for any additional data they might have to help locate the families and are only finally getting these new phone numbers and addresses.” ...

if true, this needs to be tried at the Hague, as a human rights violation

Never underestimate the cruelty of Trump, Miller, and Nielsen.

Of course they did. As I always said, this was by design, not mistake.

Sociopaths gonna sociopath.

His supporters love stuff like this.

Of course they did. As I always said, this was by design, not mistake.

Right, why would they? I don't believe they'll all be united. I wouldn't doubt that many kids were body searched any contact information with their families were destroyed. The lack of compassion and empathy starts at the top and rolls downhill...

The purest demonstration of evil as there's ever been.

I honestly do not believe it, need a legit source.

The purest demonstration of evil as there's ever been.

From the Trump administration, perhaps. I find it hard to compare different types of extreme evil, like comparing this to deliberately killing a mass testing plan based on a calculation that it would be to Trump's advantage to let people die in blue states so he could blame blue governors.

And people like Hitler, Stalin, and Mao set the bar pretty high for worldwide evil. Hell, in terms of world population at the time of their atrocities, Genghis Khan might be even worse. Slaughtered something like 35% of Europe/Asia at the time. If he attacked your city, pretty much every last man, woman, and child was doomed....

I'm not surprised. After all, I always knew those ****ers were Nazis.

From the Trump administration, perhaps. I find it hard to compare different types of extreme evil, like comparing this to deliberately killing a mass testing plan based on a calculation that it would be to Trump's advantage to let people die in blue states so he could blame blue governors.

And people like Hitler, Stalin, and Mao set the bar pretty high for worldwide evil. Hell, in terms of world population at the time of their atrocities, Genghis Khan might be even worse. Slaughtered something like 35% of Europe/Asia at the time. If he attacked your city, pretty much every last man, woman, and child was doomed....

I don't need to consider other examples of evil to know that putting kids in detention centers and deporting the parents as a warning to future refugees is an act of evil.

I honestly do not believe it, need a legit source.

They link to this:

What counts as a legit source?

And NBC says:

“Legal advocates tasked by a federal judge with helping to find migrant families separated at the U.S. border in 2017 and 2018 say that after months of pleas, the government last week handed over new data that could be critical to helping them find the families,” NBC News reports. “Everyone’s been asking whether the Trump administration has been helping to find these families. Not only have they not been helping, but they have been withholding this data forever,” Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the ACLU Immigrants’ Rights Project, told NBC News. “We have been repeatedly asking the Trump administration for any additional data they might have to help locate the families and are only finally getting these new phone numbers and addresses.”

Now, I know it's a popular (if scummy) move to pretend all lawyers want to do is lie to make money. (Curiously enough, people who say that tend to excuse all lawyers who did things they like, but anyway. . . . ). But it'd be a pretty solid ticket for a contempt charge and suspension (at least) by the BBO if a lawyer were to lie about what was turned over in discovery to make the entity they were suing look bad.

They're saying this is the data the administration turned over. It would be moronic in the extreme for lawyers and their associates to lie about being given such information in discovery, since it would be more or less instantly disprovable. It would also be moronic for a news outlet to lie about it happening, for the same reason.

🤷

I don't need to consider other examples of evil to know that putting kids in detention centers and deporting the parents as a warning to future refugees is an act of evil.

Oh come on. You didn't say "this is evil." You said "The purest demonstration of evil as there's ever been."

And when someone says that I have to compare it to other things that might qualify, like using state machinery to systematically exterminate nearly seven million people domestically while launching a war killing even more internationally. (Especially when my family would likely be a whole lot bigger but for it). Or the evils of Stalin and Mao.

🤷

It definitely is terribly evil. It's just not the most evil thing a human has ever done. We're not that great, as a species.

Oh come on. You didn't say "this is evil." You said "The purest demonstration of evil as there's ever been."

And when someone says that I have to compare it to other things that might qualify, like using state machinery to systematically exterminate nearly seven million people domestically while launching a war killing even more internationally. Or the evils of Stalin and Mao.

🤷

It definitely is terribly evil. It's just not the most evil thing a human has ever done. We're not that great, as a species.

Fine. I'll amend it to "This is a pure demonstration of evil." I'll say though that when you're comparing an act to the slaughter of millions of innocent people, then the act has earned entry into the museum of evil.

They link to this:

What counts as a legit source?

And NBC says:

“Legal advocates tasked by a federal judge with helping to find migrant families separated at the U.S. border in 2017 and 2018 say that after months of pleas, the government last week handed over new data that could be critical to helping them find the families,” NBC News reports. “Everyone’s been asking whether the Trump administration has been helping to find these families. Not only have they not been helping, but they have been withholding this data forever,” Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the ACLU Immigrants’ Rights Project, told NBC News. “We have been repeatedly asking the Trump administration for any additional data they might have to help locate the families and are only finally getting these new phone numbers and addresses.”

Now, I know it's a popular (if scummy) move to pretend all lawyers want to do is lie to make money. (Curiously enough, people who say that tend to excuse all lawyers who did things they like, but anyway. . . . ). But it'd be a pretty solid ticket for a contempt charge and suspension (at least) by the BBO if a lawyer were to lie about what was turned over in discovery to make the entity they were suing look bad.

They're saying this is the data the administration turned over. It would be moronic in the extreme for lawyers and their associates to lie about being given such information in discovery, since it would be more or less instantly disprovable. It would also be moronic for a news outlet to lie about it happening, for the same reason.

🤷

This is where he demands to know they were separated as a deliberate act of cruelty, shocked that you could suspect such a wacky thing. Then I provide proof that convinces even him. Then he makes up the usual horseshit about Obama doing it too. Then I provide evidence highlighting the stark and unsubtle differences between what happened under Obama and what Trump is doing. Then he retreats to the final position: Differences don't matter. Children having to be put somewhere (yes, even in detention centers) because we were completely overwhelmed until we were able to find homes for them in under a month is exactly the same as separating families and deporting the parents ON PURPOSE.

Not my first rodeo.

Believe what you want. I enjoy good laughs.
US&THEM made a legitimate observation about the OP [me] not citing a more conventional source
i could not not post it with but a singular left leaning cite, but was simultaneously hoping that this story would prove to be a bogus one. i actually did not believe even the tRump white house could stoop this low
in post #12 Mr Person offers a more mainstream account of it

Holy shit this whole time I thought they were just that incompetent. After 3 years I just don't see why they feel the need to keep them seperated.

Back
Top Bottom