• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump accuses Cruz's father of helping JFK's assassin

I think Cruz is a true conservative. I'll say it. I just won't vote for him. CP may end up voting for him, but he isn't a Cruzer in the sense that some others on here are.

You're wrong. He's been a Cruz shipper since the beginning of this primary.

I don't think he's a Cruzer. He was a Rubio man (like me, only I'm a girl). I think he's a Kasich man now (like me).

Looks like you were right ... on April 21st at least ...

:shrug: I'm not a big fan of Cruz-for-President, but TDN is correct. Whereas Trump changes policy based on what is convenient or pops into his mind at the time, Cruz is at least pretty consistent. The only thing I'm aware of him changing on is that his initial support for the TPP changed once he read it.

I think Vesper is a long time Cruz supporter. I never saw CP post about Cruz with enthusiasm, but like me, I think he sees a lot of true conservative qualities in Cruz. Granted, I haven't been online for over 2 weeks so maybe things have changed.

Yeah ... where the heck have you been?

MSNBC just aired the complete broadside from Cruz and I must say that I felt he hit a home run with it... a grand slam home run over the furthest and highest wall a block away smashing the windshield on the opposing managers car parked in the lot.

Sadly for Cruz its the bottom of the ninth with two outs and his team is still ten runs behind.

Nope, he's pretty firmly argued himself into the Cruz camp. In his view Cruz is the ultimate conservative movement warrior. I never saw him go all weak in the knees for Little Marco.

:shrug: it's no one's fault but your own that you have no idea what you are talking about when you describe the positions of other posters. :)

bubbabgone said:
But I thought he and someone else (I forget her name) seemed pretty hot n heavy for Cruz a while back one of the threads.

I got into a debate with Vesper over Cruz once, but she was the supporter, I was not.

As Tres says, I recognize Cruz as a conservative - and so I can vote for him. But I've never been enthusiastic about his candidacy.

:shrug: it's no one's fault but your own that you have no idea what you are talking about when you describe the positions of other posters. :)

I got into a debate with Vesper over Cruz once, but she was the supporter, I was not.

As Tres says, I recognize Cruz as a conservative - and so I can vote for him. But I've never been enthusiastic about his candidacy.

If Cruz did win the presidency, it'd serve him right.

The rise of Trump was not enabled by Obama - it started long before then, with the confluence of three events: (1) Nixon's "Southern Strategy", which began the divide of the parties not just along conservative/liberal lines, but also along racial lines; (2) Reagan's repeal of the "fairness doctrine" which had required mainstream news agencies to give both sides of the story, instead of just one side; and (3) The Right's embrace of the evangelical Religious Right, wherein the televangelists became Republican power brokers (like Jerry Falwell) and encouraged the perception that it was almost a sin before God to listen to (much less work with) liberals on almost any issue whatsoever.

As a direct result, it is now almost verboten for the conservatives in Congress to work with the liberals on almost any issue, a great example of which is how John Boehner was castigated by the Right for actually negotiating with Obama on the debt ceiling, even after he later bragged that "we got 98% of what we wanted" in the deal. Imagine that - 98% of what the GOP wanted...but he still got insulted as a RINO for working with Obama at all!

This is what enabled the rise of a man who is a racist, xenophobic misogynist who readily buys into conspiracy theories (as your OP demonstrates) and who is certainly not a real conservative. He's simply tapping into the resentment of the white working class who are looking for someone to blame for their misfortunes...and Trump is providing the target: anyone who isn't part of the white working class.

A most excellent post with spot on analysis.

:lamo I didn't vote for Cruz, and haven't been a Cruz booster. I came out in favor of Rubio at the end of last year. I was a Walker fan before he dropped out and...

....wait. Can you not even read my Sig?

My apologies, I thought you were in the bag for Cruz as much as you've been defending him. You're always on about the "conservative movement" and about how Cruz is a true conservative.

With all your talk since I find it difficult to see how you were ever a Little Marco supporter. But hey, you know your own positions. I just don't see the consistency there.

There is a minority chance that this man could win against Hillary Clinton (I think it would require an exogenous event, but it's there). All those precedents that Obama created? They'll be there for him. What a joy to look forward to.

Don't buy into the narrative.

She's not at all inevitable.

The rise of Trump was not enabled by Obama - it started long before then, with the confluence of three events: (1) Nixon's "Southern Strategy", which began the divide of the parties not just along conservative/liberal lines, but also along racial lines; (2) Reagan's repeal of the "fairness doctrine" which had required mainstream news agencies to give both sides of the story, instead of just one side; and (3) The Right's embrace of the evangelical Religious Right, wherein the televangelists became Republican power brokers (like Jerry Falwell) and encouraged the perception that it was almost a sin before God to listen to (much less work with) liberals on almost any issue whatsoever.

As a direct result, it is now almost verboten for the conservatives in Congress to work with the liberals on almost any issue, a great example of which is how John Boehner was castigated by the Right for actually negotiating with Obama on the debt ceiling, even after he later bragged that "we got 98% of what we wanted" in the deal. Imagine that - 98% of what the GOP wanted...but he still got insulted as a RINO for working with Obama at all!

This is what enabled the rise of a man who is a racist, xenophobic misogynist who readily buys into conspiracy theories (as your OP demonstrates) and who is certainly not a real conservative. He's simply tapping into the resentment of the white working class who are looking for someone to blame for their misfortunes...and Trump is providing the target: anyone who isn't part of the white working class.

Fear and Anger. Two emotions so easily exploited by a person like Trump that his rise was made inevitable. He sings the siren's song of 'Us vs Them' and the 'working class whites' lap it up like mother's milk. This isn't the first time this series of events has happened, and it won't be the last.

We have been over this before.

Mike Rogers says Trump appeals to Democrats as much as Republicans | PunditFact

The Times analysis is based on surveys by Civis Analytics of more than 11,000 people who say they lean Republican. Trump's support was 43 percent among Republicans who are still registered as Democrats. But that group makes up only 8 percent of the respondents who said they tend to support the GOP, and Civis spokeswoman Lisa Kornblatt told us no Democrats were included in the survey.

Arguing that Civis polling shows that Donald Trump is appealing as much to Democrats as he is to Republicans "is a misrepresentation of our data," she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2016/04/14/fox-news-poll-national-release-april-14-2016/ <~most recent national poll with the numbers

6 % of democratic voters said they would vote Trump, 82 % of republicans said they would in a head to head against Clinton. For contrast, Clinton gets 11 % of republicans vote in that contest.

There is nothing on this Earth that can make me vote for Trump or Cruz. Not even the chance of trading in my husband for Brad Pitt.

I laughed. Well played!

MSNBC just aired the complete broadside from Cruz and I must say that I felt he hit a home run with it... a grand slam home run over the furthest and highest wall a block away smashing the windshield on the opposing managers car parked in the lot.

Sadly for Cruz its the bottom of the ninth with two outs and his team is still ten runs behind.

I disagree. Cruz could have capitalized on this if he had played the wounded innocent, but he didn't.

The Enquirer, which so obviously supports Trump, dropped a hit piece centered on the fact that Cruz's father was a huge Castro supporter. Trump uses that like Cruz used the anti-Trump PAC ad in Utah. He used Cruz's tactic against him.

Cruz responds by slut shaming Trump using an old, old interview taken out of context.

The difference? Plain language. And that's the center of Cruz's problems this election - like most middling politicians Cruz just doesn't know how to speak like a common man. He's trained his whole life to speak like an elite politician. So even when Cruz insults someone in what could have been an effective manner, the language he uses is so out of step with common folk that it doesn't really strike home.

Trump on the other hand is a master at speaking to his audience in a language they understand. So when he digs into Cruz, it's effective.

Cruz has lost, utterly. And he's so obviously frustrated and not thinking clearly. Now, the only question left is whether Cruz will have a career as a politician going forward. His only hope of having one at this point is if Trump loses the general. And even then it's an iffy thing.

We have been over this before.

Yes we have. My favorite part is the piece you cited:

Trump's support was 43 percent among Republicans who are still registered as Democrats

So... they are actually physically legally Democrats, but they are secretly Republican... because for us to call them what they actually are would be embarrassing.

Another fantastic piece of wriggling analysis from Politifact. Telling Liberals What They Want To Believe Is True. :roll: "Liberal"=/="Democrat" as much as "Conservative"=/="Republican"

Furthermore, you are conflating the argument that his base is equally Democrat and Republican (which I haven't made) with the argument that Trump's Core of supporters do, in fact, include many Democrats, which I do say, and have said. Trump's support even within GOP voters is strongest among the liberal/moderates. He's not a conservative :shrug:

So... they are actually physically legally Democrats, but they are secretly Republican... because for us to call them what they actually are would be embarrassing.

Another fantastic piece of wriggling analysis from Politifact. Telling Liberals What They Want To Believe Is True. :roll: "Liberal"=/="Democrat" as much as "Conservative"=/="Republican"

Furthermore, you are conflating the argument that his base is equally Democrat and Republican (which I haven't made) with the argument that Trump's Core of supporters do, in fact, include many Democrats, which I do say, and have said. Trump's support even within GOP voters is strongest among the liberal/moderates. He's not a conservative :shrug:

What is 43 % of 8 % cp?

EVERY analysis of the Trump voter has been proven wrong by the very next primary contest. And when he wins in Indiana that streak will continue.

Trump is not purely conservative or liberal. He, like most of the nation (including republicans) is a bit of both and neither.

Mexico. But don't tell The Donald. ;)

I'm driving down for a 3 day vacation with the GF next week. Small seaside place we all used to go to for camping and to friend's cabins. It has since become a resort town (Puerto Penasco) with big hotels and all that.

I doubt that I will be able to recognize it any more...

I'm driving down for a 3 day vacation with the GF next week. Small seaside place we all used to go to for camping and to friend's cabins. It has since become a resort town (Puerto Penasco) with big hotels and all that.

I doubt that I will be able to recognize it any more...

I'm a huge fan of Mexico now. I plan to go every year, at least twice, if we can. **** Donald and his wall. It won't keep me out. Have fun while you're there. Even with big hotels it's probably nice.

Back
Top Bottom