• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump 'accidentally reveals location and identities of US Navy Seals in Iraq'

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/27/trump-iraq-location-tweet-troops-visit-revealed

Video posted on Twitter appears to show covert special ops team

Typically such images would be blurred to protect members

After making a holiday visit to US troops in Iraq, Donald Trump posted a video on Twitter of himself posing with Navy Seals – apparently revealing the special ops team’s deployment in the country, which is typically kept secret.

Trump’s video shows him with service members who appear to be part of Seal Team Five, whose faces are not covered or blurred, Newsweek reported.
========================================
And this clown has access to the nuclear codes? Start worrying about the next 2 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/27/trump-iraq-location-tweet-troops-visit-revealed

After making a holiday visit to US troops in Iraq, Donald Trump posted a video on Twitter of himself posing with Navy Seals – apparently revealing the special ops team’s deployment in the country, which is typically kept secret.

Trump’s video shows him with service members who appear to be part of Seal Team Five, whose faces are not covered or blurred, Newsweek reported.
And this clown has access to the nuclear codes? Start worrying about the next 2 years.
And you think Trump personally processed the video for release? As I recall Obama introduced the Admiral in charge of the operation to capture Osama bin Laden during a State of the Union speech.

And you think Trump personally processed the video for release? As I recall Obama introduced the Admiral in charge of the operation to capture Osama bin Laden during a State of the Union speech.

No but it got released over his name. Approval (or bragging) is not processing.

Trump posted a video with service members. New York Magazine exposed the identity of the people in it by publishing the name, rank, and occupation of a Navy Seal and extrapolating from that which team was where all so they could play gotcha with Trump. They deserve criticism for that. Donald should have followed protocol, but this is a good lesson that those protocols only exist because press editors can no longer be trusted to consider national security interests before slamming that kind of information into the world.

Sorry to ruin your nothingburger, but here's the reality:

https://therightscoop.com/report-tr...tifies-secret-navy-seal-team-in-twitter-post/

So...it wasn't Trump revealing anything. It was the Seal Team's Chaplain and the military PA office who revealed it all.

I'm as anti-Trump as anybody but this is the military's fault this time.

I'm as anti-Trump as anybody but this is the military's fault this time.

This was Trump showing off. Very mature for a man of his age. He should have known that these images were sensitive (classified) & were going to be released to the press. That's why he was there, to show what a big, brave, important man he is.

This was Trump showing off. Very mature for a man of his age. He should have known that these images were sensitive (classified) & were going to be released to the press. That's why he was there, to show what a big, brave, important man he is.

If you want to say this trip was for his own self-aggrandizement and he was was shamed into going you won't get an argument from me. However, the military are the ones responsible for operational security. They're the experts. This is the military's fault, specifically the commanders on the ground. The Theater Commander. The base commander. The Special Operations Commander. The SEAL team leaders. All of them. SPECOPS guys are supposed to be invisible, that's their job. But, instead of maintaining proper OPSEC, keeping a low profile, they're grabbed all their gear and posed for selfies and press pictures with Trump in front of the cameras.

Aren't military personnel supposed to know all relevant rules/regs, though? Unless he ordered them to take and give him a picture, I'd kind of expect them to both foresee what might happen and to realize Trump does not know or care what he's supposed to not do.

Think I agree with greg on this...

Still.... meh

:shrug:

Aren't military personnel supposed to know all relevant rules/regs, though? Unless he ordered them to take and give him a picture, I'd kind of expect them to both foresee what might happen and to realize Trump does not know or care what he's supposed to not do.

Think I agree with greg on this...

Still.... meh

:shrug:

The SEAL Team guys know the security rules that govern them, especially being as they were in a war zone. If anyone gets the blame, its the sailors for allowing themselves to be photographed - as a group. I'd be very surprised if they are not all brought up on charges.

The Navy is very anal retentive about security lapses.

Last edited:

Did Trump use his ten foot long arms for a selfie with the seals? Thats all you got? Where’s the beef?

Do you really think that nobody in Iraq knows that there are SEALS posted at that base?

The SEAL Team guys know the security rules that govern them, especially being as they were in a war zone. If anyone gets the blame, its the sailors for allowing themselves to be photographed - as a group. I'd be very surprised if they are not all brought up on charges.

The Navy is very anal retentive about security lapses.

Or, maybe those men weren't actually violating any regulations and knew they weren't violating any regulations. I bet nobody ever thought of that, either.

Back
Top Bottom