• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

[W:1011]TRUMP’S TAXES SHOW CHRONIC LOSSES AND YEARS OF TAX AVOIDANCE

Kevin Drum:
"Trump’s story turns out to be pretty simple. After screwing everybody in sight during the ’90s, he entered 2000 in parlous shape. What saved him was The Apprentice, which earned him a boatload of money and formed the foundation of his flurry of licensing and endorsement deals over the next few years. But as revenue from the show faded, so did Trump’s finances, and since 2012 he’s been losing money every year. Long story short, Trump has lost money at pretty much everything he’s ever done. The only exception is The Apprentice and the licensing money it enabled—which probably owes more to reality show mogul Mark Burnett than to Trump himself."

It was well known Trump was in financial trouble prior to The Apprentice; it's why I thought it was hysterical that the image he portrayed of himself on that show was what people thought he was. In fairness, it was a savvy move to recreate himself via that show, but it was more facade than reality.

I did not vote for Trump thinking he loves handing over to the IRS billions of dollars. We got him at no salary. Good enough.

Do I trust the veracity of the Times of NY?

I though Trump being some great businessman was his selling point? He had zero politcal experience and it now turns out he's also either a lousy businessman or a tax avoider, so exactly why should he be President? What's he bringing to the table?

1a1fe6ea986011e6734f56a84450e615.jpg

you don't know what tax returns show do you?
This is why I used the word if. We know he personally owes a significant amount of money and that is it so far.

Property losses are fine. But inflating the loses by millions is a crime. As is deflating the values for local PPT.

The article doesn't claim that he did either.

Also, while we are at it, let's discuss the actual crime depicted in that article that was perpetrated by the NYAG office...

It is clear that these tax documents were leaked by the NYAG office just a month after arguing to the court that Trump's privacy would not be in jeopardy. No sooner had the taxes been released to the AG and these democrat operatives posing as the NY AG office illegally handed the documents over to the NYT.

But as with all radical authoritarian movements, I'm sure that breaking the law to further the goals of The Party is just fine.

Also, while we are at it, let's discuss the actual crime depicted in that article that was perpetrated by the NYAG office...

It is clear that these tax documents were leaked by the NYAG office just a month after arguing to the court that Trump's privacy would not be in jeopardy. No sooner had the taxes been released to the AG and these democrat operatives posing as the NY AG office illegally handed the documents over to the NYT.

But as with all radical authoritarian movements, I'm sure that breaking the law to further the goals of The Party is just fine.

Nice story except one small problem, the NYAG’s office hasn’t enforced their subpoena yet.

He looked so on edge in that presser. It's easy to see why he's flustered - he's used to controlling the news cycle: Declare victory in a SCOTUS pick, or create a scandal and watch them all scurry.

But this is one he didn't want to let out and one he couldn't stop. It showred he's a loser by posting losses all the years he pretended to be richer than he was; or a fraud, pretending to post losses to avoid taxes. Most likely a bit of both. There's no way to look good in this one.

Last edited:

Once again the conservatives want to go after the leakers not those who committed the offense.

You know what answer you’re gonna get on this. Every Trump stan angry over stolen documents leaked to the public deserves it too.

And what gave those people the right to give someone's private tax returns to the newspaper? What gives the newspaper the right to give someone's private tax returns to the public?

That's what I mean by corruption.

Who f***ing cares ? He's a crook and now we know the details.

For Chrissakes he's said it enough himself in public, "because I'm smart". He said, he could "shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue and not lose any voters". He's been screaming who he is from the rooftops for f***ing years and now it's some leaker's fault?

I don't give a damn who leaked it or if you think it's illegal. I don't give a flying rat's ass where it came from, the public has a right to know. What a lame ass deflection.

And knowing this is fun too.

And the source is? That's right, you don't show the source, then it's FAKE NEWS!

That “anonymous sources” dodge tends not to work out very well for Trumpsters in the long run. But they keep trying it!

At this point, it’s very obvious that much of it is true. It isn’t hard to put the story in a timeline with previously reported stories about Trump’s businesses. And you don’t need the political press. All you have ot do is read the business pages at the time many of these losses, purchases etc occurred.

Anyone who know anything about New York commercial real estate, or read the businsess press, knew years ago that Trump’s business genius persona was fake.

Manhattan laughed out loud when Trump claimed he was worth $10 billion. Out in the sticks, they bought the fake TV image.

and....

lol... Called it

What a weak response. Good luck spinning it that way.

It’s the only one they have.

They know that Trump’s glitzy billionaire acts is as fake as his hair. They have little doubt that this story is certainly true. They’re just clinging to the myth.

Probably. But that can't be determined exclusively by looking at his tax returns.

NY prosecutors are looking at, among other things, discrepancies between valuations he gave for properties in his tax returns, which are significantly lower than valuations he gave for the same properties in loan documents. That's illegal.

It's also plausible that he is deliberately exaggerating his losses, which would constitute tax fraud.

Along those lines, he's in the middle of massive audits by the IRS, which could result in a required repayment of $100 million. Ironically, some of that audit is connected to Trump Org exploiting... wait for it... tax laws Obama signed to help recover from the 2007 recession.

And while not overtly illegal, the tax returns myriad ways that he can be pressured by domestic and foreign entities alike. For example, at a time when he claims in these tax forms that his businesses are losing tens or hundreds of millions of dollars per year, he has personal loans due in 4 years or less totaling $421 million.

That's just from skimming the article. It's gonna take time to read everything that is pouring out here. Meaning if you plan to try and spin this, you're gonna have a lot of work to do.

It is a long read! I’ve had to reread several parts of it. This is even though I already knew much of it.

Anyone who followed Trump’s real estate and legal doings over the last thirty years knows that this story is true.

Much of it has been reported before. Trump’s spectacular failure in Atlantic City is well known. The losses of his golf course empire area also well known. The DC Hotel has never made money, even as it has become the most visible symbol of Trump’s use of his office to peddle influence.

(as an aside, I fully expect that hotel to close and for Trump to default on the lease within a year of leaving office).

As a side note, I have seen two polls so far on whether this will affect peoples vote, while around 80% said no, there were around 20% that said it would. In a race where trump needs every vote he can get this is Not good news.

For Chrissakes he's said it enough himself in public, "because I'm smart". He said, he could "shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue and not lose any voters". He's been screaming who he is from the rooftops for f***ing years and now it's some leaker's fault?

I don't give a damn who leaked it or if you think it's illegal. I don't give a flying rat's ass where it came from, the public has a right to know. What a lame ass deflection.

Dear Trump stans: see the reaction above? Get used to it. For 8 years.

Once again the conservatives want to go after the leakers not those who committed the offense.

And once again there were no laws broken in the leaked documents but you applaud the abuse of power in the pursuit of power for The Party anyway. This is typical of all authoritarians....

The documents show that he ISN'T a crook, actually. The documents show that Trump used the tax law to reduce his tax burden through depreciation of assets and deferment of business losses.

In short, it shows that Trump hired good accountants.

Reactions: PoS
Reactions: PoS
The documents show that he ISN'T a crook, actually. The documents show that Trump used the tax law to reduce his tax burden through depreciation of assets and deferment of business losses.

In short, it shows that Trump hired good accountants.
Libruls know they cant fault Trump for doing anything illegal, now theyre attacking him for apparently taking all those financial losses...

Just more TDS.

Libruls know they cant fault Trump for doing anything illegal, now theyre attacking him for apparently taking all those financial losses...

Just more TDS.

$750

Just more TDS.

4gjc02.jpg

Cite your evidence.

Back
Top Bottom