• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump’s Shutdown Could Destabilize the World

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Trump’s Long Shutdown Could Destabilize the World

When and if the two parties reach a standoff they are genuinely unwilling to resolve, the message they are sending to the country and the world changes. Instead of a message of underlying cooperation, the message will be of underlying disagreement — with cooperation only accidental and occasional. In other words, the organs of U.S. government will be saying they have higher priorities than actually governing.

The world’s confidence in the U.S. government — and by extension, the U.S. economy — depends on seeing the American polity as basically functional. A functional federal government performs the basic tasks of preserving societal stability. Stability depends on more than just national security, which will be maintained during the shutdown. It includes basic regulatory functions: of the markets, the environment, food and drugs, and so on.

But the rest of the world will eventually get the message that the institutions that create American political and economic stability are eroding. That will reduce confidence in American leadership. Rationally, it should also reduce confidence in the American economy.

The long and short of it is that American stability is the only reason we live as comfortably as we do. It's why the world invests in us, be it by buying US T-Bills or stocks on the NYSE. But, as we become more and more like Zim-****ing-Babwe, the global confidence in our institutions will erode along with it.

And, what pisses me off is that most of us did not want this. We did not vote for the anarchist president. And, we do not support him now. It's a vocal minority who led us down this horrible path. And, in an effort to appease them--by feeding his base more and more red meat in a desperate attempt to save his presidency from a likely impeachment for committing a myriad of illegal transgressions--the president is driving us off a cliff.

The long and short of it is that American stability is the only reason we live as comfortably as we do. It's why the world invests in us, be it by buying US T-Bills or stocks on the NYSE. But, as we become more and more like Zim-****ing-Babwe, the global confidence in our institutions will erode along with it.

And, what pisses me off is that most of us did not want this. We did not vote for the anarchist president. And, we do not support him now. It's a vocal minority who led us down this horrible path. And, in an effort to appease them--by feeding his base more and more red meat in a desperate attempt to save his presidency from a likely impeachment for committing a myriad of illegal transgressions--the president is driving us off a cliff.

An obvious choice for him - better the country should suffer and fail than he should suffer and fail.

An obvious choice for him - better the country should suffer and fail than he should suffer and fail.

That’s why most people didn’t vote for him. But, the people who rather see the country fail than see “Da Libs” gain an edge sure did.

In the 2008 general election 38.4% of eligible voters did not vote at all. https://www.factcheck.org/2009/01/2008-voter-turnout/

So even though Obama got nearly 8 million more votes of all votes cast than all the other candidates combined, most citizens did not vote for him either. That is fairly typical in elections.

Your argument is an appeal to popularity based on polling data, something I have always doubted simply because polls depend heavily on sampling and how the questions are phrased. This often leaves them open to bias and (mis-)interpretation. (See Rasmussen and CNN polls.)

Yes Clinton and Obama got a Plurality of the votes cast. Even so, neither got a majority of "the American people" to vote for them.

Still I can agree that a minority also elected the current President, and polling does not favor him in some areas while it does in others (economy, jobs growth, etc.).

What we do have is a "vocal majority" of the news media which has been in attack mode from well before the actual election through today molding public opinion with never-ending negative reporting.

We also have a vocal minority of NeverTrump and TDS anti-Administration citizens (such as yourself) who have hated the man since before he was elected and have waged a grass-roots campaign to undermine him ever since his election. Your post history speaks for itself.

However, I will also admit that Mr. Trump has done himself no favors via his belligerent personality, his misuse (IMO) of social media, and his CEO-minded leadership style which does not work well for political office holders who are often required to compromise in order to succeed.

Having said that I will point out that the support of his "base" comes from his almost unique efforts to actually do what he promised he would do during his campaign for office. To us his actions speak louder than his words and most of his actions have worked out despite constant undermining by the MSN, the Democratic Party, vocal Resistance members like the OP, and even opponents in the Republican Party.

So while he did not win more popular votes than Hillary, he has done (for the most part) exactly what was expected of him by those who did vote for him which is why they still continue (for the most part) to support him despite his faults.

Last edited:

The Left being hypocrites on border security didn't do much for our standing in the world now did it?

This article is nonsense.

When and if the two parties reach a standoff they are genuinely unwilling to resolve, the message they are sending to the country and the world changes. Instead of a message of underlying cooperation, the message will be of underlying disagreement — with cooperation only accidental and occasional. In other words, the organs of U.S. government will be saying they have higher priorities than actually governing.

Our government is built on the concept of standoffs, whether they result in shutdowns or not. Our two Parties have ALWAYS had higher priorities that actually governing. The two Parties have ALWAYS been based upon and have ALWAYS sent the world the message that we operate in favor of underlying disagreement. The world knows that any action in the US government is the result of one Party winning and the other Party losing.

The US isn't sending any different message to the world this time around than the message that we've always sent the world.

The world’s confidence in the U.S. government — and by extension, the U.S. economy — depends on seeing the American polity as basically functional.

There is only one reason the world has confidence in the US economy:

zErWoBpcroUldLZDcrHGpFSwkMyNx8pqP7K8aUc_7Ys.jpg

When this changes, the world will lose their confidence.

Calamity...as long as you insist on spouting off with baseless hyperbole, such as what I highlighted above, you will get the same response from me that I gave to this article you linked: Nonsense.

Last edited:
The Left being hypocrites on border security didn't do much for our standing in the world now did it?

lol...uh, can you write something that actually makes sense? Unhinged Fox News talking points do not qualify. After all, not a single terrorist attack ever came about due to poor "border security." Now, the poor ability of angry white men to cope with change is a different story. Lots of terror attacks have come from those borderline personalities.

lol...uh, can you write something that actually makes sense? Unhinged Fox News talking points do not qualify. After all, not a single terrorist attack ever came about due to poor "border security." Now, the poor ability of angry white men to cope with change is a different story. Lots of terror attacks have come from those borderline personalities.

You realize you probably already lost 5 billion during the government shut down, in all the days that people weren't showing up to work, and then some. Was it really worth it? Just Give him the wall.

You realize you probably already lost 5 billion during the government shut down, in all the days that people weren't showing up to work, and then some. Was it really worth it? Just Give him the wall.

The only wall we'll give him requires those behind it to wear an orange jumpsuit.

Well OBVIOUSLY soothing Trump's fragile ego is the most important ingredient to 'murica. Remember 'murica first and since Trump is the first American, what's good for him is good for us, and that means tyou too, you're just a dumm librul who refuses to see that Trump is the bestest! He's BY FAR the best president EVER!!!!!! He has done more in two years than FDR did in all of his time in OFFICE. You libruls are so dumm and slefish and evil. Gawd!!!! Jebus is gonna strike you down for your sinful selfish ways! Imagine, putting silly trivialities over the well being of the greatest American that has ever lived or ever will live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trumps is MAGA! Reapeat it with me! TRUMP IS MAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the silly librul silly person understand now?:roll:

This article is nonsense.

Our government is built on the concept of standoffs, whether they result in shutdowns or not. Our two Parties have ALWAYS had higher priorities that actually governing. The two Parties have ALWAYS been based upon and have ALWAYS sent the world the message that we operate in favor of underlying disagreement. The world knows that any action in the US government is the result of one Party winning and the other Party losing.

The US isn't sending any different message to the world this time around than the message that we've always sent the world.

There is only one reason the world has confidence in the US economy:

View attachment 67247471

When this changes, the world will lose their confidence.

Calamity...as long as you insist on spouting off with baseless hyperbole, such as what I highlighted above, you will get the same response from me that I gave to this article you linked: Nonsense.

Interesting argument. But the idea that confidence in the US is entirely based on economic results is pretty naive. However, I seem to remember that it was Trump that campaigned on the idea that our support of globalism was driving us off a cliff. Those numbers would seem to contradict that.

The only wall we'll give him requires those behind it to wear an orange jumpsuit.

That's a big cost to spend on a wall like that. You may find such a thing to taste bitter ;)

So while he did not win more popular votes than Hillary, he has done (for the most part) what was expected of him by those who did vote for him which is why they still continue (for the most part) to support him despite his faults.
Which is the core of his failure as president. Trump represents only the minority that is his base. He has not, and does not, make any effort whatsoever to carry out the wishes of the majority.

Those walls are already there.

If you seriously think you can just quietly remove trump without any consequence, then the left are bigger fools than I thought they were

Interesting argument. But the idea that confidence in the US is entirely based on economic results is pretty naive. However, I seem to remember that it was Trump that campaigned on the idea that our support of globalism was driving us off a cliff. Those numbers would seem to contradict that.

Hmmm...I don't recall Trump saying anything about a cliff, but I could have just missed that particular statement. Perhaps you can scrounge up a quote of him saying such a thing? You know...to justify what you remember?

Here's what I found with a cursory Bing search:

driving off cliff.jpg

Seems that it's not Trump talking about driving off cliffs, but actually people like you and the OP doing that.

Oh well, I'll wait and see what you come up with.

But yes, the world's confidence in the US economy IS entirely based on the US economic results. Other businesses and countries don't base their trade with the US on the spats between the Republicans and Democrats. They base it on money.

Last edited:
If you seriously think you can just quietly remove trump without any consequence, then the left are bigger fools than I thought they were

Are you insinuating that Trump is worth dying for?

Cults are a dangerous thing. I know. But, sheesh. He ain't worth it. Trust me.

Are you insinuating that Trump is worth dying for?

Cults are a dangerous thing. I know. But, sheesh. He ain't worth it. Trust me.

He's also hilarious. Ever hear of ANY right wing revolt that someonme (usually the United States) doesn't have to "prop up"? Ever heard of one winning? No, wingers get in with the willing complicity of dumbasses voting for it, but the same dumbasses are not made of the stuff it takes to do anything, just talk and bluster and then tuck the tail between the legs when it comes go time. Pathetic!:roll:

Which is the core of his failure as president. Trump represents only the minority that is his base. He has not, and does not, make any effort whatsoever to carry out the wishes of the majority.

Well, he did not run for election to pursue the goals of those that either failed to vote, or did not vote for him. Almost no politician does, albeit many CLAIM they are doing so.

Moreover, Trump has high marks on the economy, job growth, and other areas, pleasing most of the people with this (but not all).

There are other areas (like trade, and international affairs) where the views are mixed.

Then there are areas where he pleases mainly his base.

To paraphrase Lincoln:

You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please ALL of the people ALL of the time.

Well, he did not run for election to pursue the goals of those that either failed to vote, or did not vote for him. Almost no politician does, albeit many CLAIM they are doing so.

Moreover, Trump has high marks on the economy, job growth, and other areas, pleasing most of the people with this (but not all).

There are other areas (like trade, and international affairs) where the views are mixed.

Then there are areas where he pleases mainly his base.

To paraphrase Lincoln:

You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please ALL of the people ALL of the time.

Trump hasn’t pleased all of the people one time.

What "wall"? There are no plans for any wall. The $5 billion is blood money purely to "stick it to Democrats". Trump already received his full 2018 budget request of $1.6 billion for border security and he hasn't even spent last years money. The $5 billion was added after the Dems took the House. Now 800,000 people are suffering and all for your enjoyment. Trump knows what you like.

WASHINGTON — The White House has drastically scaled back demands for funds to construct a border wall, seeking $1.6 billion in the budget submitted to Congress on Tuesday — $2.5 billion less than announced just two months ago.
The scaling back of wall funding could reflect a recognition that a "sea to shining sea" border wall that probably would cost $25 billion or more is unnecessary and impractical. The Rio Grande defines about a third of the 2,000-mile border. Apart from the river, rough terrain elsewhere would make a fence or wall impossible to build and maintain. There already is fencing of various types along 650 miles of the border, mostly in California and around urban areas such as Laredo and El Paso.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/mexico/2017/05/23/border-wall-funding-shrinks-trumps-2018-budget

Racism from the Alinskyite. Typical.

US govt. SHUT DOWN will "destabilize the world"?

good fellas laugh.jpg

The consequence of removing him is better than the consequence of allowing him to remain.

Hmmm...I don't recall Trump saying anything about a cliff, but I could have just missed that particular statement. Perhaps you can scrounge up a quote of him saying such a thing? You know...to justify what you remember?

Here's what I found with a cursory Bing search:

View attachment 67247480

Seems that it's not Trump talking about driving off cliffs, but actually people like you and the OP doing that.

Oh well, I'll wait and see what you come up with.

But yes, the world's confidence in the US economy IS entirely based on the US economic results. Other businesses and countries don't base their trade with the US on the spats between the Republicans and Democrats. They base it on money.

The image is so small on my screen I can't read it.

Back
Top Bottom