• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump’s re-election bid could be derailed by Republican challenger, RNC email warns

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From Global News

Trump’s re-election bid could be derailed by Republican challenger, RNC email warns

Donald Trump declared himself “the most popular president in the history of the Republican Party” on Wednesday. Yet his allies fear a primary challenge from a high-profile Republican could doom his re-election.

The concern was outlined in a private email shared among Republican National Committee members hours after the GOP’s last failed presidential nominee, Mitt Romney, lashed out at Trump’s character and global leadership in an opinion article published in The Washington Post. Romney is set to be sworn in as Utah’s junior senator on Thursday.

His scathing message was widely interpreted as a sign of encouragement for Republicans including outgoing Ohio Gov. John Kasich and retiring Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake to take on Trump. While a successful primary challenge is highly unlikely given Trump’s grip on the GOP base, some fear it would consume energy and resources badly needed by Trump, who is facing record-low approval ratings and signs of revolt among suburban voters.

Win or lose, any primary challenge would almost certainly hurt Trump’s re-election, warned RNC member Jevon Williams of the Virgin Islands.

COMMENT:-

One way of reading that is that the RNC is saying "Unless we run Trump again, we ARE going to lose the Presidency.".

Since the Republicans might lose the Presidency even if they do run Mr. Trump again, that would imply that the RNC thinks that there is someplace around a 75% chance that the Republicans could lose the Presidency in 2020 - higher if Mr. Trump is NOT the Republican nominee and decides to run for re-election anyway.

This might be somewhat disheartening for the RNC.

Yeah, there isn’t really a good option here for the RNC. They want to be rid of Trump, but if somebody else wins the nomination and Trump runs as an independent, the Democrats WILL win. The only way they could pull it off is if Trump agreed not to run for re-election if he lost the primary. Trump wouldn’t agree to that, and even if he did, he could just change his mind.

The other possibility, though a small one, is that things behind the scenes for the Republicans are so bad that they would be willing to give the Whitehouse to the Dems just to get rid of Trump. I don’t think modern day politicians would make that kind of sacrifice, though.

Yeah, there isn’t really a good option here for the RNC. They want to be rid of Trump, but if somebody else wins the nomination and Trump runs as an independent, the Democrats WILL win. The only way they could pull it off is if Trump agreed not to run for re-election if he lost the primary. Trump wouldn’t agree to that, and even if he did, he could just change his mind.

The other possibility, though a small one, is that things behind the scenes for the Republicans are so bad that they would be willing to give the Whitehouse to the Dems just to get rid of Trump. I don’t think modern day politicians would make that kind of sacrifice, though.

Mind you, if the US economy is on the verge of tanking in 2019/20, the Republicans just might want to bail out so that they can blame everything on the Democrats.

Eh....it's not like the people who still vote for Republicans demand any kind of consistency or honesty. All the GOP has to do is declare that they always opposed Trump, and DP will be full of Trump? Who's Trump? I never heard of him.

From Global News

Donald Trump declared himself “the most popular president in the history of the Republican Party” on Wednesday. Yet his allies fear a primary challenge from a high-profile Republican could doom his re-election.

The concern was outlined in a private email shared among Republican National Committee members hours after the GOP’s last failed presidential nominee, Mitt Romney, lashed out at Trump’s character and global leadership in an opinion article published in The Washington Post. Romney is set to be sworn in as Utah’s junior senator on Thursday.

His scathing message was widely interpreted as a sign of encouragement for Republicans including outgoing Ohio Gov. John Kasich and retiring Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake to take on Trump. While a successful primary challenge is highly unlikely given Trump’s grip on the GOP base, some fear it would consume energy and resources badly needed by Trump, who is facing record-low approval ratings and signs of revolt among suburban voters.

Win or lose, any primary challenge would almost certainly hurt Trump’s re-election, warned RNC member Jevon Williams of the Virgin Islands.

One way of reading that is that the RNC is saying "Unless we run Trump again, we ARE going to lose the Presidency.".

Since the Republicans might lose the Presidency even if they do run Mr. Trump again, that would imply that the RNC thinks that there is someplace around a 75% chance that the Republicans could lose the Presidency in 2020 - higher if Mr. Trump is NOT the Republican nominee and decides to run for re-election anyway.

Well, if Jevon Williams (https://gop.com/leaders/national-committeeman-jevon-williams-vi/), that GOP "heavyweight", says it...it MUST be true.

:lamo

Is there anything authoritative out there saying Trump actually intends to seek re-election?

I ask because it would seem reasonable someone as rejected, resisted, repudiated and opposed no matter what he does might opt not to go for another round since there's no chance he'd be any less rejected, resisted, repudiated and opposed, why bother? The only reason I can think of for Trump to seek re-election would be to somehow delay whatever prosecution for some concocted crime, and I expect a lot of the impetus for such a prosecution would dissipate once he was no loger president.

Is there anything authoritative out there saying Trump actually intends to seek re-election?

I ask because it would seem reasonable someone as rejected, resisted, repudiated and opposed no matter what he does might opt not to go for another round since there's no chance he'd be any less rejected, resisted, repudiated and opposed, why bother? The only reason I can think of for Trump to seek re-election would be to somehow delay whatever prosecution for some concocted crime, and I expect a lot of the impetus for such a prosecution would dissipate once he was no loger president.

One could take

as some reasonably firm indication.

I mean, why would someone who was NOT intending to run in 2020 be soliciting donations to fund their 2020 campaign? If he doesn't run then he'd have to give all the money back (or else risk conviction for fraud).

Eh....it's not like the people who still vote for Republicans demand any kind of consistency or honesty. All the GOP has to do is declare that they always opposed Trump, and DP will be full of Trump? Who's Trump? I never heard of him.

You mean like how so many on DP act they don't even know who Hilary Clinton is? :lol:

Trump had his 2020 reelection campaign committee already up and running just weeks after his election. As of October 2018 it was reported it had already raised over 100 million for his reelection bid. So yeah, I would say he definitely will be seeking reelection.

Trump had his 2020 reelection campaign committee already up and running just weeks after his election. As of October 2018 it was reported it had already raised over 100 million for his reelection bid. So yeah, I would say he definitely will be seeking reelection.

Or he could say 'for health reasons he's not going to run' again and walk away with the money. Pretty much what he did with the 'charity foundation ' money NY State just shut down.

You mean like how so many on DP act they don't even know who Hilary Clinton is? [emoji38]
Who here acts like they don't know who Hillary is?

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

You mean like how so many on DP act they don't even know who Hilary Clinton is? :lol:

If you're going to attempt a gotcha, try to make it not quite so stupidly dishonest.

Or he could say 'for health reasons he's not going to run' again and walk away with the money. Pretty much what he did with the 'charity foundation ' money NY State just shut down.

I don't know but I don't think that would be legal. But nonetheless it would probably behoove those donors to have legal representation and an army of CPA's and auditors lined up and ready to go just in case.

I wonder what Ben Shapiro has to say about this. Won't be able to tell you guys what's what unless I get his take on this, after all, he writes books and stuff.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

I think that almost anyone in the world except Hillary Clinton would have beat Trump in 2016. Now he has a rabid cult following. It will be harder to beat him next time than last time, but if the Democrats nominate anything better than a pet rock or a sock puppet, I think the Republicans will very likely lose the presidency in 2020.

His ego. We'll have to remove him from the WH with the military whether in 2021 or 2025.

From Global News

Romney is one of the rich people democrats tell their stupid followers they hate. Democrats and liberals don't hate Romney. Like McCain was, Romney is one of them.

... why would someone who was NOT intending to run in 2020 be soliciting donations to fund their 2020 campaign? If he doesn't run then he'd have to give all the money back (or else risk conviction for fraud).

Actually, this would be very much what I would expect from Trump. He exhibited similar behavior in the past and it's in line with how he conducts his affairs...

... investigation found “a shocking pattern of illegality involving the Trump Foundation — including unlawful coordination with the Trump presidential campaign, repeated and willful self-dealing, and much more ...
... The Foundation was little more than a checkbook for payments to not-for-profits from Mr. Trump or the Trump Organization ...
... for years, Trump appeared to use the foundation — which was, by law, an independent entity — to make payments that bolstered his interests ...

We have a recent GOP president that happened to...George W. Bush, who is now a pariah with the same voters who voted for him twice. I believe that will be Trumps fate, and most of the GOP base will move on to worshipping another Republican idiot. History repeats itself.

We have a recent GOP president that happened to...George W. Bush, who is now a pariah with the same voters who voted for him twice. I believe that will be Trumps fate, and most of the GOP base will move on to worshipping another Republican idiot. History repeats itself.

That is almost certainly inevitable. I just hope it's a better idiot next time, since the last two years manage to have me missing both Obama and Bush. "Interesting" times.

Though Trump may have had his re-election campaign up and running immediately after winning the election, I doubt he anticipated the opposition encountered, this is truly unprecedented, all this 'investigating', the rejection of absolutely everything he says or does, slanderous criticism and derision in the press, threats to family and friends, he'd have to be a masochist to seek re-election.

Romney is one of the rich people democrats tell their stupid followers they hate. Democrats and liberals don't hate Romney. Like McCain was, Romney is one of them.

Didn't actually read the article past the point where the word "Romney" appeared I see.

Actually, this would be very much what I would expect from Trump. He exhibited similar behavior in the past and it's in line with how he conducts his affairs...

Of course, if the "Trump 2020 Campaign" has already spent the money then he wouldn't have to give it back - would he?

Why the "Trump 2020 Campaign" could have rented a room at Mar-a-Lago for several million dollars an hour AND paid the bill, which would have been perfectly legal as long as "campaign strategy" was being worked on. That that "campaign strategy" consisted of "Don, do you think that you should withdraw from the 2020 race?" . . . "Yes." the expense would be "legitimate".

Back
Top Bottom