• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump’s Quid Pro Quo Is Unconstitutional

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Maybe we should get this out of the way first.

Noah Feldman is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist. He is a professor of law at Harvard University and was a clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Justice David Souter.

Now, let's adress the legality of the illegal president.

When a president urges a foreign state to find evidence against his opponent, he violates this fairness. He takes advantage of his official power to manipulate the system — power his opponent lacks. This exploits the advantage of incumbency to undermine the possibility of a fair election.

No quid pro quo is necessary for this abuse of power to take place. In fact, Trump’s public appeal to China to investigate Joe and Hunter Biden is just as much an abuse of power as the Ukraine quid pro quo is. It is the president using his office to gain an electoral advantage not available to his rivals.

It follows that it’s no excuse to say the president is using a power granted by the Constitution. To the contrary: The abuse of power depends on possessing that power in the first place. To deploy presidential authority to gain partisan advantage is to abuse that authority.

Obviously quid pro quo is a far cry from being nothingburger. It's something most Republicans will be hard pressed to justify, as long as their feet are held to the fire. Pelosi and Schiff need to fan the flames.

Obviously quid pro quo is a far cry from being nothingburger. It's something most Republicans will be hard pressed to justify, as long as their feet are held to the fire. Pelosi and Schiff need to fan the flames.

But, how does it violate The Constitution? Show us the article, section, clause, or amendment that's violated.

Never gonna happen....

These opinions mean nothing. Kind of like this stupid petition that was signed with 1000 lawyers we heard about months ago. We told you it was worthless then, and its still worthless today.

When the DOJ and FBI state there was no monetary value received and no crime was committed, all you have is more worthless opinions and still no attempt to gain support of the House through a vote. That tells everyone what they need to know. Just another fake outrage provided by more fake Democrats for a 3 year continued fake Impeachment.

But, how does it violate The Constitution? Show us the article, section, clause, or amendment that's violated.

Seriously? I'm not a constitutional scholar by any stretch of the imagination so at some point I have to believe someone who knows more than me on the subject.

It appears it's in common agreement Trump asking for 'considerations' from other countries about one of his political opponents is frowned upon. Abuse of power I think I keep hearing it called.

Do you really believe saying things like show me, prove it will have any bearing on the outcome of the impeachment inquiry?

I guess what you are saying once again is all the folks who think it's wrong can just go take a long walk off a short plank. Prove it, show me, waa waa waa.

There was no quid pro quo so this thread is moot. Or, if you prefer - a nothingburger.

Ask the law professor.

Bizarre that you don't think that a president of the united states who uses extortion to help himself win the next election is such a bad thing. That's how far down into the gutter Trump has brought you.

U.S. Constitution Article 2, section 4

And

U.S. Constitution Article 1, section 9, paragraph 8

You’re welcome.

I wonder how this Harvard professor applies his "fairness" reasoning to Hilary/DNC commissioning the Steele Dossier or using official assets to spy on the Trump campaign. At least CNN labeled it "OPINION".

There was no quid pro quo so this thread is moot. Or, if you prefer - a nothingburger.
Yours and other Trumpsters in denial opinion are irrelevant to the reality of what’s actually happening. Hold each other’s hands and cry about the unfairness if it all, but stop expecting other rational people to listen to, or give a **** about, your delusion.

I wonder how this Harvard professor applies his "fairness" reasoning to Hilary/DNC commissioning the Steele Dossier or using official assets to spy on the Trump campaign. At least CNN labeled it "OPINION".

Oh god, the only thing you forgot was screaming out, "Soros!"

And Mulvaney also said later there was no quid pro quo. CNN probably didn't cover that.

"We did it!

No wait, we didn't do it! Yeah, that's it!"

Republicans will not justify it. They will simply agree Trump did something he should not have done but then say it does not rise to the level of throwing him out of office. They will attempt to have their cake and eat it too. Or another way to put it, they will attempt to pretend to be reasonable and acknowledge the law while protecting their collective asses from the hordes of Trumpkins.

I'm sure they'll find it somewhere in there...After all to leftist wingnuts, the Constitution should be a "living document".

Wake me up when the House, specifically that other lunatic... Pelosi, has the courage to put up a vote for Articles of Impeachment based on the OP or the source article’s statements.

Find any article you want, find 100 or more of them, meaningless until House Democrats do something other than avoid a vote on the floor of the House.

There's only one problem...

Trump isn't urging anyone to find evidence against his opponent. He's trying to find evidence about actions by the Obama administration. Obama isn't his opponent anymore.

Back
Top Bottom