• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump’s polls sag amid wall fight

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Trumpy numbers down; Nancy's numbers up.

President Trump on Monday rejected a proposal from a top legislative ally to reopen the government, even as a raft of polling suggested he is losing the battle for public opinion with Democrats over his demand for a border wall.

Trump’s dismissal of the plan to end the partial shutdown offered by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) signals the White House believes it can pressure Democrats into a compromise. But Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), buoyed by the polls, has shown no sign of budging.

Trump’s polls sag amid wall fight

All that winning must be getting old. :lamo

What are the D's poll numbers doing?

Let's at least make minimal efforts to correctly understand the situation, MKay?

What are the D's poll numbers doing?

Let's at least make minimal efforts to correctly understand the situation, MKay?

Do you bother to look at links before sounding off about them? The OP’s link reports a clear drop in Trump’s recent poll numbers. Even Rasmussen has him down from the giddy near 50’s he had been in for months. In two new polls he’s at 37 percent. His average at fivethirtyeight.com, which incorporates Rasmussen, is below 41 percent for the first time in months as well while his average disapproval rate is over 54 percent, all of this since the shutdown.

Do you bother to look at links before sounding off about them. The OP’s link reports a clear drop in Trump’s recent poll numbers. Even Rasmussen has him down from the giddy near 50’s he had been in for months. In two new polls he’s at 37 percent. His average at fivethirtyeight.com, which incorporates Rasmussen, is below 41 percent for the first time in months while his average disapproval rate is over 54 percent, all of this since the shutdown.

I noticed that the very long piece so you would think it at least scratches the surface does not tell me what the D numbers are doing.....they could be dropping even worse than Trumps. Yes I know I can check but my point is that both this thread and the piece that it was launched with are of shabby quality......it is like writing 1000 words saying that the Rams are getting worse without bothering to care about how the Saints are doing....who would do that and why would they do that?

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be something if Trump said, "Hey, I've listened to the people and will adjust my agenda to be more in line with what the public wants."

Wouldn't it be something if Trump said, "Hey, I've listened to the people and will adjust my agenda to be more in line with what the public wants."

That's what a real President would do. Not this cheap imitator.

That's what a real President would do. Not this cheap imitator.

Well...he does believe that feeding guests Big Macs is classy.

Well...he does believe that feeding guests Big Macs is classy.

Have you met a young person of late? Field mix, pine nuts, and raisin salad isn't exactly on their minds when hungry.. ;)

Tim-

I noticed that the very long piece so you would think it at least scratches the surface does not tell me what the D numbers are doing.....they could be dropping even worse than Trumps. Yes I know I can check but my point is that both this thread and the piece that it was launched with are of shabby quality......it is like writing 1000 words saying that the Rams are getting worse without bothering to care about how the Saints are doing....who would do that and why would they do that?

The midterms provide a clue as to “what the D numbers are doing”, as do current polls showing many more Americans blame Republicans for the shutdown than blame Democrats.

The midterms provide a clue as to “what the D numbers are doing”, as do current polls showing many more Americans blame Republicans for the shutdown than blame Democrats.

We would need to get into such things as the word "blame" for some gets swapped out for the word "Credit" but I am not going to get into all that because the point that I was making is that the piece this thread was built on as well as this thread are shabbily constructed.

QUALITY MATTERS

8847F1B1-65BE-476F-B6E2-9F1887C273D0.jpg

Perhaps a wee bit. But what is amazing about Trump's approval numbers is that from Feb 2018 through today he has remained at a steady 41-43%. There were a day or two above 43% and a day or two below 41%. But he hasn't budged from in-between those numbers. It doesn't matter what he does or doesn't do. It seems people have made up their minds about him. They are either pro Trump or anti Trump with no thoughts whatsoever given to what the man actually does by either side.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

Has the shutdown hurt Trump. I suppose one could say it has if you consider he dropped from 42.4% RCP average down to 41.4% today. When one considers the margin of error in the polls, that is no drop at all.

I think the last president that did that was Bill Clinton after the 1994 midterms. Bill adjusted, listened. His average approval rating over his last six years was 60% compared to 44% over his first two years when he only pushed the Democratic Party's agenda. Neither Bush Jr. nor Obama ever listened to the American people and both pushed their party's agenda. Bush averaged 49% and Obama 48% over their presidency. Even with only averaging 44% over Bill Clinton's first two years, Bill finished with a 56% total average for his two terms as president.

I think the last president that did that was Bill Clinton after the 1994 midterms. Bill adjusted, listened. His average approval rating over his last six years was 60% compared to 44% over his first two years when he only pushed the Democratic Party's agenda. Neither Bush Jr. nor Obama ever listened to the American people and both pushed their party's agenda. Bush averaged 49% and Obama 48% over their presidency. Even with only averaging 44% over Bill Clinton's first two years, Bill finished with a 56% total average for his two terms as president.

That's why Bill was one of the best presidents in the last 100 years. He was president of the people, not some partisan hack throwing red meat to the most stupid people in his base--i.e. Trump.

That's why Bill was one of the best presidents in the last 100 years. He was president of the people, not some partisan hack throwing red meat to the most stupid people in his base--i.e. Trump.

Bill was unique in that he adjusted. Obama didn't, Bush Jr. didn't and Trump hasn't. Prior to that, Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, Reagan and Bush Sr. all had a Democratic controlled House to content with. None of those GOP presidents could go too far even if they wanted to. Democratic presidents, JFK, LBJ, Carter could. All three had both chambers of congress under their party's control. I don't think they did however go too far. They were president's in a different era when both major parties had their conservative and liberal wings. In an era where partisanship was a heck of a lot less. Where party didn't matter as much as it does today.

Bill Clinton started the modern era of politics. But he was old school, a product of a different era when party didn't mean what it does today. In fact he was leader of the DLC, a Democratic Party conservative group. More or less an old fashioned conservative democrat. I agree, Bill was one of the better presidents in my life time. I was born right after WWII. IKE was and is still the best president in my lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom