• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump’s Five Questions on US Foreign Policy

Should these five questions have recieved more publicity?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveFagan

Iconoclast
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
   Trump?s Five Questions on US Foreign Policy ? Consortiumnews  :  Information Clearing House - ICH

"Along with his self-congratulatory bombast, Donald Trump has offered a rare critique of Official Washington’s “group think” about foreign policy, including the wisdom of NATO expansion and the value of endless war, notes John V. Walsh. By John V. Walsh"
........"Russia and the West on The John Batchelor Show, on WABC-AM (also on podcasts).
On the April 6 broadcast, Cohen said: “Let me just rattle off the five questions he [Trump] has asked. [First] why must the United States lead the world everywhere on the globe and play the role of the world’s policeman, now for example, he says, in Ukraine? It’s a question. It’s worth a discussion.
“Secondly, [Trump] said, NATO was founded 67 years ago to deter the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union ended 25 years ago. What is NATO’s mission? Is it obsolete? Is it fighting terrorism? No, to the last question, it’s not. Should we discuss NATO’s mission?
“Thirdly, [Trump] asks, why does the United States always pursue regime changes? Iraq, Libya, Ukraine, and now it wants a regime change in Syria, Damascus. When the result is, to use Donald Trump’s favorite word, the result is always “disaster.” But it’s a reasonable question.
“Fourthly, why do we treat Russia and Putin as an enemy when he should be a partner?
“Fifth, Trump asks, about nuclear weapons – and this is interesting. You remember he was asked, would he rule out using nuclear weapons – an existential question. He thought for a while and then he said, ‘No, I take nothing off the table.’ And everybody said he wants to use nuclear weapons! In fact, it is the official American nuclear doctrine policy that we do not take first use off the table. We do not have a no first use of nuclear weapons doctrine. So all Trump did was state in his own way what has been official American nuclear policy for, I guess, 40 or 50 years. …
“It seems to me that these five questions, which are not being discussed by the other presidential candidates, are essential.”....

Had anyone heard of these questions?
I, for one, liked the questions and they demonstrate a clear view of International Politics.
Why don't these questions get more publicity?
Trump doesn't sound like a warmonger.
Is this why Repubs don't like him?
Is he a threat to the MIC?
I'm a Sander's man, but Trump impresses me with the savvy behind the questions.

Last edited:
** Trump?s Five Questions on US Foreign Policy ? Consortiumnews* :* Information Clearing House - ICH

"Along with his self-congratulatory bombast, Donald Trump has offered a rare critique of Official Washington’s “group think” about foreign policy, including the wisdom of NATO expansion and the value of endless war, notes John V. Walsh. By John V. Walsh"
........"Russia and the West on The John Batchelor Show, on WABC-AM (also on podcasts).
On the April 6 broadcast, Cohen said: “Let me just rattle off the five questions he [Trump] has asked. [First] why must the United States lead the world everywhere on the globe and play the role of the world’s policeman, now for example, he says, in Ukraine? It’s a question. It’s worth a discussion.
“Secondly, [Trump] said, NATO was founded 67 years ago to deter the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union ended 25 years ago. What is NATO’s mission? Is it obsolete? Is it fighting terrorism? No, to the last question, it’s not. Should we discuss NATO’s mission?
“Thirdly, [Trump] asks, why does the United States always pursue regime changes? Iraq, Libya, Ukraine, and now it wants a regime change in Syria, Damascus. When the result is, to use Donald Trump’s favorite word, the result is always “disaster.” But it’s a reasonable question.
“Fourthly, why do we treat Russia and Putin as an enemy when he should be a partner?
“Fifth, Trump asks, about nuclear weapons – and this is interesting. You remember he was asked, would he rule out using nuclear weapons – an existential question. He thought for a while and then he said, ‘No, I take nothing off the table.’ And everybody said he wants to use nuclear weapons! In fact, it is the official American nuclear doctrine policy that we do not take first use off the table. We do not have a no first use of nuclear weapons doctrine. So all Trump did was state in his own way what has been official American nuclear policy for, I guess, 40 or 50 years. …
“It seems to me that these five questions, which are not being discussed by the other presidential candidates, are essential.”....

I, for one, liked the questions and they demonstrate a clear view of International Politics.

In principal all of that was discussed 20 to 25 years ago. Asking those questions is really behind the curve.

** Trump?s Five Questions on US Foreign Policy ? Consortiumnews* :* Information Clearing House - ICH

Putin has made it clear he's out to make Russia great again, so I can see why Trump might like the man. A lot of countries that share a border with Russia have good reason to be nervous though.....

Some of this kind of contrasts with Clinton, in a good way, playing off her warhawk/regime change pushing image.

Interesting point about NATO, never really thought much about it. I have to believe there are benefits to maintaining it though. A reevaluation could be in order, but I don't see it as a big deal?

The fifth question though makes a very good and sound point. Everyone opposed to the man has been so eager to jump on his next ridiculous comment that they've tried to make his normal comments out to be ridiculous comments. Do we ever plan on using our nukes? No. Do we go ahead and take the nuclear threat off the table when dealing with hostile nations? Of course not, the threat serves a purpose. There are other similar comments on various topics that have also been twisted or exaggerated to the point of absurdity. There are just so many legitimate things to criticize Trump over, why sacrifice the credibility of the opposition to him by resorting to this kind of distortion?

the conservatives took us to war not obama, although he and hellary just finished the fubar-ing of this mess,i see the ultra right wing of the rnc just like i see the ultra left wing of the dnc,nuts.

run don run

Okay, what am I missing here? Nothing he asks hasn't been discussed, debated, and kicked around ad nauseam.

Technically there's nothing wrong (or unique) about the questions. Trump is just not the person who should be leading those kinds of discussions. Also, you can cool it with the constantly changing font sizes and colors. Nobody likes it and it doesn't improve the quality of your post.

Okay, what am I missing here? Nothing he asks hasn't been discussed, debated, and kicked around ad nauseam.

I have seen zero discussion of Trump and these five issues. as they relate to Trump, in the Mass Media. We've certainly discussed the issues on this forum, but much discusion here is not Pentagon narrative released to the Mass Media, and dutifully stenographed.

Wait until the General Election kicks into high gear, the donald has given Hillary and the Dems a mountain of material to work with.

I think Trump would make a awful POTUS...but I agree with him comoletely on the first four points. Not sure what he means in the fifth.

Back
Top Bottom