• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump’s Changes Restricting Asylum Law

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Trump’s ‘Compromise’ Immigration Offer To Democrats Includes Major Changes Restricting Asylum Law

political-button.jpg

1/22/19
WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump’s offer to Democrats over the weekend seeking to trade temporary protections for some immigrants in exchange for funding for a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border received positive coverage from some outlets, including being called a “compromise” and a move by Trump “toward the center.” But the latest details in the proposal, which Senate Republicans unveiled Monday in a bill they plan to vote on this week, make the offer appear less of a compromise and more of a wish list for immigration hard-liners like White House adviser Stephen Miller. Trump is offering a three-year extension for the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which protects from deportation hundreds of thousands of immigrants brought to the U.S. as kids. The offer would also give a three-year extension to 300,000 people from El Salvador, Haiti, Nicaragua and Honduras who are living in the U.S. under the temporary protected status program.

But the GOP bill incorporating his offer would also gut existing asylum laws for children and trafficking victims from Central America, ban asylum for minors who present themselves at ports of entry, gut the concept of temporary protected status for future cases and expand immigration detention ― all measures making it more likely to be dead on arrival in the Senate. “Given the poison pills stuffed into a proposal that was supposed to entice Democrats we can now say the Trump ‘offer’ isn’t about getting to a deal but about shifting blame. So obvious. So predictable. So pathetic,” Frank Sharry, the executive director of the immigration advocacy group America’s Voice, tweeted on Tuesday. The bill would ban asylum for Central American minors, including those who arrive at the border with their parents, unless the minors apply for asylum in their home country. “This bill includes the most extreme changes on asylum that I’ve ever seen,” Kerri Talbot, the director of federal advocacy at the group Immigration Hub, said on a press call on Tuesday.

You didn't hear a solitary word about this from Trump or McConnell.

There's only one problem here: This isn't "Trump's bill". It's the Senate GOP's bill.

Q: When will the media ever be honest?

A: Never.

But, this story does raise another question: Why would the Senate GOP deliberately put these poison pills into the bill? Don't they want to help Trump resolve this border security/humanitarian crisis? Why...it's almost like they are working against Trump, isn't it?

There's only one problem here: This isn't "Trump's bill". It's the Senate GOP's bill.

But, this story does raise another question: Why would the Senate GOP deliberately put these poison pills into the bill? Don't they want to help Trump resolve this border security/humanitarian crisis? Why...it's almost like they are working against Trump, isn't it?

Q: Did you even read the link or the OP?

A: No. Because if you had, you would have seen this: the latest details in the proposal, which Senate Republicans unveiled Monday in a bill they plan to vote on this week, and this But the GOP bill

Q: Do you have reading comprehension issues?

A: ,,,,,,,

Miller is a horrible, horrible person.

Miller and Trump are a match made in Hell. Doesn't surprise me that he's one of the only people still working for Trump from the original staff. Birds of a feather.

2012-2017 asylum "actual arrivals": 53k-85k depending on the year.
2018: 22,491

People who insist we want to welcome various forms of legal immigrants or legal visitors need to do some research. On all fronts, legal immigration/visiting has been attacked.

This move is yet another one: limit the number to 15,000 arbitrarily, only accept applications from stations in Central America, which means there's no reason for anyone to hurry up and act on asylum applications. They'll just let them rot around the application stations. And it's just one example of the Trump admin's moves to silently cut down on lawful channels of immigration.

It was obvious to many ahead of time, but Trump was just vague enough to let his tireless defenders argue plausible deniability. But this is not about wanting people to come here the right way. This, in whole, is about not wanting them to come here at all.

They won't admit it. Naturally, it's too easy for them to falsely accuse you of "playing the race card" and run away. But this is what it's about for Trumpists. MAWA!

it's a non-starter. he has only offered to temporarily fix the programs that he broke himself in order to solve a shutdown that he caused.

McConnell said he would not put forth a bill to vote on in the senate UNLESS TRUMP APPROVED OF IT FIRST. This is Trump's bill.

Q: Did you even read the link or the OP?

A: No. Because if you had, you would have seen this: the latest details in the proposal, which Senate Republicans unveiled Monday in a bill they plan to vote on this week, and this But the GOP bill

Q: Do you have reading comprehension issues?

A: ,,,,,,,

Perhaps you didn't read my post.

"It's the Senate GOP's bill."

McConnell said he would not put forth a bill to vote on in the senate UNLESS TRUMP APPROVED OF IT FIRST. This is Trump's bill.

Let me know when Trump says he approves this bill.

Let me know when Trump says he approves this bill.

McConnell wouldn't put it forth if Trump didn't approve already, unless you are saying McConnell is lying?

Perhaps you didn't read my post.

"It's the Senate GOP's bill."

Perhaps you didn't read your post. Read it again. Let me help you:

They didn't call it Trump's bill. They called it the Senate GOP's bill.

Then you went on to say the media was dishonest. They got it right. You didn't even read the OP.

I'd say you should be ashamed, but it's just another day for you.

Last edited:
Perhaps you didn't read your post. Read it again. Let me help you:

They didn't call it Trump's bill. They called it the Senate GOP's bill.

Then you went on to say the media was dishonest. They got it right. You didn't even read the OP.

I'd say you should be ashamed, but it's just another day for you.

At least tell me you read the headline of that article:

"Trump’s ‘Compromise’ Immigration Offer To Democrats Includes Major Changes Restricting Asylum Law"

Trump's offer didn't include the major changes they describe. An outright lie on their part.

And then, they put this in the article:

"Given the poison pills stuffed into a proposal that was supposed to entice Democrats we can now say the Trump ‘offer’ isn’t about getting to a deal but about shifting blame. So obvious. So predictable. So pathetic,” Frank Sharry, the executive director of the immigration advocacy group America’s Voice, tweeted on Tuesday."

Which implies that the Senate bill is Trump's offer.

And then, they print this:

"Trump’s efforts to win over Democratic support on the bill...blah, blah, blah."

This is another outright lie. Trump has made no effort to win over Democratic support on this bill. In fact, I haven't even heard Trump mention the bill.

This is why thinking people do NOT believe what the media tells them. Unfortunately, ****ing dumbass useful idiots lap this up like a dog after beer.

Since McConnell is putting it to a Senate vote, Trump has already pre-approved.

That's an assumption. You know what happens when you assume?

At least tell me you read the headline of that article:

"Trump’s ‘Compromise’ Immigration Offer To Democrats Includes Major Changes Restricting Asylum Law"

Trump's offer didn't include the major changes they describe. An outright lie on their part.

And then, they put this in the article:

"Given the poison pills stuffed into a proposal that was supposed to entice Democrats we can now say the Trump ‘offer’ isn’t about getting to a deal but about shifting blame. So obvious. So predictable. So pathetic,” Frank Sharry, the executive director of the immigration advocacy group America’s Voice, tweeted on Tuesday."

Which implies that the Senate bill is Trump's offer.

And then, they print this:

"Trump’s efforts to win over Democratic support on the bill...blah, blah, blah."

This is another outright lie. Trump has made no effort to win over Democratic support on this bill. In fact, I haven't even heard Trump mention the bill.

This is why thinking people do NOT believe what the media tells them. Unfortunately, ****ing dumbass useful idiots lap this up like a dog after beer.

No go ahead and tell me where the "media" said it was Trump's bill in what you posted there. I'll even give you an extra five minutes to find it.

Or maybe I'll save you some trouble. They never said "Trump's bill".

You said "there's only one problem here: This isn't Trump's bill" and how the media got it wrong. They never said it was Trump's bill. They said, quite clearly, that it was the Senate GOP's bill. Twice.

You failed. Again.

McConnell wouldn't put it forth if Trump didn't approve already, unless you are saying McConnell is lying?

Did McConnell say Trump approves of the bill?

If he didn't, then he didn't lie. He only changed his position. And do you seriously think I don't know that politicians change their positions...a lot? Do you think I approve when they change their positions? I don't...necessarily.

However, if by some stroke of god's luck, this all got passed by the House, the Senate and the President...if this ended the shutdown...who would you complain about the most after they changed their position? (I know that's an unlikely hypothetical situation, but I also know that Trump haters thrive on such hypothetical situation, so indulge me, eh?)

No go ahead and tell me where the "media" said it was Trump's bill in what you posted there. I'll even give you an extra five minutes to find it.

Or maybe I'll save you some trouble. They never said "Trump's bill".

You said "there's only one problem here: This isn't Trump's bill" and how the media got it wrong. They never said it was Trump's bill. They said, quite clearly, that it was the Senate GOP's bill. Twice.

You failed. Again.

Waiting to see what furious back peddling with ensue.

Did McConnell say Trump approves of the bill?

His words were that he wouldn't put forth a bill on the floor for vote in the senate that Trump didn't approve of. So if he puts it to a vote and Trump didn't approve, than McConnell is a liar. Pretty straight forward there.

If he didn't, then he didn't lie. He only changed his position. And do you seriously think I don't know that politicians change their positions...a lot? Do you think I approve when they change their positions? I don't...necessarily.

Nope that means he lied. People don't change positions weekly, well maybe Trump does because he doesn't know what the **** he's doing.

However, if by some stroke of god's luck, this all got passed by the House, the Senate and the President...if this ended the shutdown...who would you complain about the most after they changed their position? (I know that's an unlikely hypothetical situation, but I also know that Trump haters thrive on such hypothetical situation, so indulge me, eh?)

I would, because the people elected Dems in the house to not have a wall paid for by American taxpayer money. Period. While some cons choose to kiss Trump's ass, the majority of the country does not.

His words were that he wouldn't put forth a bill on the floor for vote in the senate that Trump didn't approve of. So if he puts it to a vote and Trump didn't approve, than McConnell is a liar. Pretty straight forward there.

Nope that means he lied. People don't change positions weekly, well maybe Trump does because he doesn't know what the **** he's doing.

I would, because the people elected Dems in the house to not have a wall paid for by American taxpayer money. Period. While some cons choose to kiss Trump's ass, the majority of the country does not.

Politicians change their positions all the time. Do you want some examples?

Pelosi changed her position on border security.
Schumer changed his position on border security.
McCain changed his position on Obamacare repeal.
Obama changed his position on same sex marriage.

Do you need more? Now...were all of those people I mentioned lying?

That's an assumption. You know what happens when you assume?

Then you're saying McConnell is a liar. He said he would not have a Senate vote on any bill unless he knows Trump would sign it.

You can't have it both ways.

Then you're saying McConnell is a liar. He said he would not have a Senate vote on any bill unless he knows Trump would sign it.

You can't have it both ways.

sigh...

Read the thread. I'm tired of repeating myself for every tom, dick and mary in the forum.

Back
Top Bottom