• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump’s border wall gambit fails to end record shutdown

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From The Times

President Trump tried to blame Democrats as the federal shutdown stretched into a fifth week yesterday after they rejected a proposal to end the stalemate over the budget.

The offer of a three-year reprieve for illegal immigrants who came to the US as children, in exchange for $5.7 billion from Congress for his promised wall along the Mexican border, was also met with disdain by many Republicans.

Mr Trump was forced to answer critics on both sides yesterday as the longest US government shutdown continued and border officials went unpaid while they prepared for a new caravan of men, women and children arriving at the frontier.

COMMENT:-

The Times says "gambit" and I agree (especially in the original Italianate sense).

Especially interesting is the reaction from "many Republicans".

Let the match continue now that the that the gambit has been declined.

Ann Coulter is ranting about how there's no point in building a wall if you grant amnesty. Donny's gonna stop talking about this pretty quick.

From The Times

President Trump tried to blame Democrats as the federal shutdown stretched into a fifth week yesterday after they rejected a proposal to end the stalemate over the budget.

The offer of a three-year reprieve for illegal immigrants who came to the US as children, in exchange for $5.7 billion from Congress for his promised wall along the Mexican border, was also met with disdain by many Republicans.

Mr Trump was forced to answer critics on both sides yesterday as the longest US government shutdown continued and border officials went unpaid while they prepared for a new caravan of men, women and children arriving at the frontier.

The Times says "gambit" and I agree (especially in the original Italianate sense).

Well, he gave it a shot. The Democrats want the government shutdown to continue, over a trivial budget amount. A wall is poison to them. They are proving that to everyone.

Ann Coulter is ranting about how there's no point in building a wall if you grant amnesty. Donny's gonna stop talking about this pretty quick.

Three year reprieve, I didn't see amnesty in there. She's wrong on that.

Well, he gave it a shot. The Democrats want the government shutdown to continue, over a trivial budget amount. A wall is poison to them. They are proving that to everyone.

Let's say a Democratic president was shutting down the government for 5 billion in additional EPA funding/regulatory oversight. Would you say Republicans should give it to them?

From The Times

Pelosi announced that she was opposed to the deal before it was even announced. She shot it down even though it hit every mark she asked for. It isn't easy to negotiate with a woman who not only shoots down your offer before she sees it but also when it's about 95% "yes" on everything she asked for.

Let's say a Democratic president was shutting down the government for 5 billion in additional EPA funding/regulatory oversight. Would you say Republicans should give it to them?

I'm sure that would never cause a shutdown and, if so, would easily be settled.

Pelosi announced that she was opposed to the deal before it was even announced. She shot it down even though it hit every mark she asked for. It isn't easy to negotiate with a woman who not only shoots down your offer before she sees it but also when it's about 95% "yes" on everything she asked for.

The Democrats are so worried about blaming Trump, but with this behavior, it's going to land right in their laps. Trump is the one staying in Washington, coming up with offers, Pelosi keeps saying no, acting in bad faith. She will be owning this soon.

The Democrats are so worried about blaming Trump, but with this behavior, it's going to land right in their laps. Trump is the one staying in Washington, coming up with offers, Pelosi keeps saying no, acting in bad faith. She will be owning this soon.

In normal times that might be the case. Right now she is playing directly to the Progressive base that just won a bunch of House seats. She's been in politics long enough to know what side her bread is buttered on and savvy enough to avoid stuff like common sense and common decency when her base wants blood.

I was disappointed with the Democrats beginning with how they responded to Trump's election. However, after the Kavanaugh hearings I've actually become a little bit afraid of them. They have left all semblance of sanity behind and focused strictly on "getting" Trump. It isn't politics any more. It's personal for them.

Please do show how a 3 year temp solution hit every Mark she asked for?

From The Times

why won't Pelosi do her job same goes for schumer i guess we know the true party of no huh.

Three year reprieve, I didn't see amnesty in there. She's wrong on that.

When you consider the next president in 3 years will probably be a democrat then it will turn into amnesty.

I don't think the Democrats were ever interested in a 3 year reprieve for $5.7B. A 3 year reprieve in NOT a DACA solution. They said DACA (solution) for the wall was a non-starter, so why would less than a solution be considered a reasonable offer? Its not.

IMHO, the Dems should counter with $2B for border security, which could include a fence, for the 3-year reprieves Trump offered, for immediate re-opening of the government with the stipulation that any addition funding would come as a part of a comprehensive immigration reform package that permanently solves DACA, deals with immigrates already here and specifies on-going border security. The comprehensive immigration reform should begin with a joint congress "gang of eight" type committee.

If Donald wants a wall, he needs to have it be a part of comprehensive immigration reform. Let's really make some progress on this.

My indictment on this: the Republicans really don't ever want to solve immigration issues, they get too much political mileage out of the controversy.

Last edited:
why won't Pelosi do her job same goes for schumer i guess we know the true party of no huh.

Ah if only some on the right would watch the news... even Faux Noise reported the House passed a funding bill (no wall). Turtle Mitch refuses to put up any bill that doesn't cave into the President so it is the Republican'ts who still own the Party of No....

I don't think the Democrats were ever interested in a 3 year reprieve for $5.7B. A 3 year reprieve in NOT a DACA solution. They said DACA (solution) for the wall was a non-starter, so why would less than a solution be considered a reasonable offer. Its not.

IMHO, the Dems should counter with $2B for border security, which could include a fence, for the 3-year reprieves Trump offered, for immediate re-opening of the government with the stipulation that any addition funding would come as a part of a comprehensive immigration reform package that permanently solves DACA, deals with immigrates already here and specifies on-going border security. The comprehensive immigration reform should begin with a joint congress "gang of eight" type committee.

If Donald wants a wall, he needs to have it be a part of comprehensive immigration reform. Let's really make some progress on this.

Reopen the government, then talk DACA, wall funding, etc. We don't negotiate with hostage takers.

Ah if only some on the right would watch the news... even Faux Noise reported the House passed a funding bill (no wall). Turtle Mitch refuses to put up any bill that doesn't cave into the President so it is the Republican'ts who still own the Party of No....

I did watch the news pelosi isn't doing her job. she passed a bill she knew would not make it through the senate or get approved by the president.
yes dem's are the party of no. since they are the ones that started this whole thing to begin with.

you should watch the news more often and i mean real news not the leftist crap that gets posted on this board.

I did watch the news pelosi isn't doing her job. she passed a bill she knew would not make it through the senate or get approved by the president.
yes dem's are the party of no. since they are the ones that started this whole thing to begin with.

you should watch the news more often and i mean real news not the leftist crap that gets posted on this board.

The senate passed a bill 100-0

If it is "only 95%" then it isn't "everything" is it?

If you were going to buy a car and 95% of the deal (make, model, colour, trim options, add-ons, accessories, and upgrades) was OK with you, but the price (the other 5%) was totally outrageous, would you still buy the car?

If so, please come see me at "Happy Harry's New & Used Cars" because I just know that we can "make a deal".

Why isn't Trump offering universal healthcare, a green new deal, 100% amnesty, and a 70% top marginal tax rate in exchange for a wall? Clearly he is not interested in negotiating to reopen the government.

If it is "only 95%" then it isn't "everything" is it?

If you were going to buy a car and 95% of the deal (make, model, colour, trim options, add-ons, accessories, and upgrades) was OK with you, but the price (the other 5%) was totally outrageous, would you still buy the car?

If so, please come see me at "Happy Harry's New & Used Cars" because I just know that we can "make a deal".

So your idea of compromise, like Nancy's, is that if you don't get 100% of what you want then it isn't worth doing. I'm not sure if that fits within the Webster's definition of "compromise" but if it works for you...

So your idea of compromise, like Nancy's, is that if you don't get 100% of what you want then it isn't worth doing. I'm not sure if that fits within the Webster's definition of "compromise" but if it works for you...

There can be no compromise with hostage takers. Reopen the government, then negotiations over a wall can happen.

And which part of "the price is outrageous" did you not understand? It doesn't matter if the car I want has all the right features if you want too much money for it.

Last edited:
Both sides are trying to kick things down the road. Trump wants the wall in exchange for the Dems giving him money for a wall that will be here long after those three years. Stupid trade. And the Dems want Trump to reopen the government in exchange for just more negotiating. If they aren’t going to give him the wall to end the shutdown they certainly won’t give him the wall once the government is funded. Whatever Trump’s odds are of getting the wall, his odds will be even less if he caves to the Dems.

Neither side is offering a good faith deal at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom