• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump’s big speech won’t matter

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

2773eb44f37fe25e73de14bcfa54beea-500-0-N.jpg

Chuck Schumer, Donald Trump, Nancy Pelosi

1/8/19
President Donald Trump is planning a prime-time national address tonight about his border wall, or whatever he’s now calling it, and the government shutdown. Don’t expect much. We have plenty of evidence on this one: Presidential speeches rarely change minds. See, for example, this post from John Sides preceding Barack Obama’s 2009 speech to Congress on health care. As he notes, it’s not that voters all have strong opinions on policy questions; it’s that those voters most likely to tune in to such a speech are the partisans least likely to change their minds, either about the policy or the president. Going public – the strategy of trying to win support from the people at large, in the hopes that they’ll pressure their representatives to follow the president – mostly didn’t work for Ronald Reagan, didn’t work for Bill Clinton, and didn’t work for Obama. It’s even less likely to work for Trump, who is less popular now than those presidents were for most of their time in office, and who is trying to sell a policy that consistently polls badly. At best, Trump’s speech might solidify Republican support. Unfortunately for him, prime-time speeches haven’t dominated viewing options for years. When Richard Nixon or Jimmy Carter spoke to the nation, viewers were pretty much held hostage, barring the truly radical option of turning off the set. By Clinton’s time, there were plenty of other choices available; these days, many viewers won’t have any idea that the president has pre-empted normal network programming.

So if popular presidents couldn’t convince voters when they had a monopoly of the airwaves (when airwaves mattered), there’s no reason at all to think that Trump will change anything. On the other hand, there are risks. Trump will remind those opponents who tune in why they dislike him and his wall. He’ll put himself even further out on a ledge, meaning that his reputation will take a bigger hit when he eventually doesn’t get his way. Overall, speeches of this kind – addresses intended to sway public opinion about an already announced policy – just aren’t very important, even though the context here, the government shutdown and immigration policy, certainly is. That’s not to say that broadcast and cable-news producers shouldn’t think hard about how to present the statement of a president who is often aggressively wrong about the facts. They should. It’s just that whatever he says, true or false, is unlikely to change the trajectory of the shutdown or the public’s opinion of it. The networks turned down a request from Obama for a prime-time address in 2014. Trump is getting this one, but it may mean that they’ll turn him down next time. It probably won’t help that his request is premised on a fictional national-security emergency.

The Democrats have been granted equal airtime tonight to rebut Trump and debunk his on-air lies and disinformation.

Trump is getting desperate. Republicans are hearing from their constituents and are beginning to defect. Another lie filled rant from the Oval Office won’t do him any good. The facts, like most Americans, are against him.

The Democrats have been granted equal airtime tonight to rebut Trump and debunk his on-air lies and disinformation.

Why do you think the Democrats can do that, in the minds of people who haven’t already accepted that he’s a massive liar?

It doesn’t matter that they “debunk” anything he says, no one and I mean no ones mind will be changed by what he says tonight, what matters is what he does, i.e. does he declare a national emergency to get the wall built.

If it’s just a speech full of his usual lies, nothing changes and the standoff continues.

Trump is getting desperate. Republicans are hearing from their constituents and are beginning to defect. Another lie filled rant from the Oval Office won’t do him any good. The facts, like most Americans, are against him.

He just announced he wont declare an emergency. It is noy desperation. It is his duty.

Sadly, Trump's speech probably won't move the needle and it will have nothing to do with the veracity of his claims, of which many will be factual. The die is cast because the well has been poisoned through our Balkanization, tribalism and identity politics. Thanks to the "resistance", the Dems' mission is to plunder Trump and everything he does by any means necessary.

They've already fully committed themselves to embracing every lie Trump tells. They actively avoid learning of information that debunks those lies. If they cannot help themselves and actually hear some, they just switch to lying about what it was Trump actually said (ie, to pretend he didn't say whatever was debunked). They aren't tuning in to find out whether everything that came from their master's mouth is a lie any more than they have in the past. And if you strapped them into a chair and forced them to listen to the Dems', they'd just find some things to lie/deny/deflect about.

Look around DP. They love swimming in vast seas of stupid dishonesty.

He just announced he wont declare an emergency. It is noy desperation. It is his duty.

Did Trump tweet that or report it somehow? The Left was certain Trump would follow in Obama's Executive overreach footsteps.

I was watching some news broadcast last evening; might have been HBO’s “Vice News.” They were interviewing an opposition party
member and he was opining on the country’s leader (think it was “a ****-hole country). Paraphrasing, “He is on the back of a lion,
if he gets off he cannot survive.”

I think Trump is in a similar position and he is holding on grimly.

Sadly, Trump's speech probably won't move the needle and it will have nothing to do with the veracity of his claims, of which many will be factual. The die is cast because the well has been poisoned through our Balkanization, tribalism and identity politics. Thanks to the "resistance", the Dems' mission is to plunder Trump and everything he does by any means necessary.

^
See?

He might actually realize that he cannot any longer use dishonesty to defend Trump's lies, for example about thousands of terrorists supposedly crossing the border, or the lie about how past presidents told him they wish they'd built a wall.

So what does he do? Well, he just finds something to lie about. Namely, that the only problem here is "the Dems'" whom, we are told, are exclusively to blame for tribalism and identity politics.....and "Balkanization".

It's hopeless!

That assumes that the speech is not offering a trade of (some?) Great Wall Of Trump funding for DACA (amnesty plus path to citizenship?) being expanded with perhaps tossing in an expansion of "temporary but renewable" work permits for other "long term" (and otherwise law abiding) illegal immigrants.

Trump really wants to get his Great Wall Of Trump started and, IMHO, is now desperate to make a 'deal' ASAP. He must realize that declaring a 'national security emergency' and using the military to build the Great Wall Of Trump (on private land?) would be shot down by almost any federal judge.

Yeah damn those Dems for not rubber stamping a lie from Trump. :lamo

Don’t be so naive. If Trump declares a national emergency he knows Congress will immediately shut him down. It would go to SCOTUS and he’d lose. He’s desperate to turn public opinion. I seriously doubt he actually gives a s**t about border security. He’s terrified his base will turn on him if (when) he fails to deliver on his number one campaign promise.

This "Show" is not intended to change minds, it is an attempt to keep his base from changing theirs. Expect a furtherance of the disinformation already presented by his "People" and a few new zingers to get frothing increased...probably drugs and gangs being an emergency.

Yeah damn those Dems for not rubber stamping a lie from Trump. :lamo

What lie? Obviously you know what Trump's going to say tonight, so do enlighten us with examples.

What lie? Obviously you know what Trump's going to say tonight, so do enlighten us with examples.

There weren't 4,000 terrorists, there were "6" that were on the watch list. Again, LIES. Mexico will pay for the wall, 4,000 terrorists caught crossing, I didn't know anything about payments made to those women, all lies.

This "Show" is not intended to change minds, it is an attempt to keep his base from changing theirs. Expect a furtherance of the disinformation already presented by his "People" and a few new zingers to get frothing increased...probably drugs and gangs being an emergency.

And by the way, if Trump is being sincere, why isn't he wording his need for National state of emergency to build wall as: I will declare a State of emergency get the wall built and due to this I will immediately open government and put federal workers back to work

I think there is a good likelihood of the Senate passing a veto proof bill to reopen the Govt. by Friday. GOP Senators have bad feelings about how this shutdown will effect their re-election chances.

There weren't 4,000 terrorists, there were "6" that were on the watch list. Again, LIES. Mexico will pay for the wall, 4,000 terrorists caught crossing, I didn't know anything about payments made to those women, all lies.

No doubt that information was wrong, wrong, wrong. I don't think it diminishes our need to build more wall system as part of tightening border security, reducing illegal crossings, reducing crime, reducing trafficking and alleviating the financial burden to Americans.
I fully support paying for the wall and look forward to recouping the savings in the short and long term.

And by the way, if Trump is being sincere, why isn't he wording his need for National state of emergency to build wall as: I will declare a State of emergency get the wall built and due to this I will immediately open government and put federal workers back to work

Trump should not trust that Democrats won't screw him with his pants on as they have since Reagan. Remember what Pelosi's daughter saying about her mother cutting off your head and you won't even know you're bleeding? That.

I think there is a good likelihood of the Senate passing a veto proof bill to reopen the Govt. by Friday. GOP Senators have bad feelings about how this shutdown will effect their re-election chances.
Yup, a lot of grumbling going on.

Trump should not trust that Democrats won't screw him with his pants on as they have since Reagan. Remember what Pelosi's daughter saying about her mother cutting off your head and you won't even know you're bleeding? That.

The reverse is even more true. Trump is the most insincere, unpredictable, going back on your word "negotiator" ever seen in Washington. Nothing he says is trustworthy.

No doubt that information was wrong, wrong, wrong.

It was not "information" that was "wrong". It was a lie. L-I-E.

Do not tell a lie to euphamize another lie.

I don't think it diminishes our need to build more wall system as part of tightening border security, reducing illegal crossings, reducing crime, reducing trafficking and alleviating the financial burden to Americans.
I fully support paying for the wall and look forward to recouping the savings in the short and long term.

Actually, if it turns out that the entirety of the argument someone has made in favor of a thing is a pile of lies, that actually serves as a great reason not to listen to that person anymore.

No doubt that information was wrong, wrong, wrong. I don't think it diminishes our need to build more wall system as part of tightening border security, reducing illegal crossings, reducing crime, reducing trafficking and alleviating the financial burden to Americans.

Sorry the information was not "wrong" it was a flat out "LIE".

Until you address the reason why they are coming (jobs), then they will still come and overstay visas. E-verify mandated and heavy (I mean business crushing fines) would help more than a dumb waste of a wall.

Oh, this speech absolutely does matter, even though it doesn't matter about public opinion.

Trump is doing two things with this speech:

1. Giving Chuck and Nancy a chance to change their mind and support the wall or continue on with their anti-wall nonsense.

2. Making public the justification for declaring a national emergency and building the wall.

Oh, this speech absolutely does matter, even though it doesn't matter about public opinion.

Trump is doing two things with this speech:

1. Giving Chuck and Nancy a chance to change their mind and support the wall or continue on with their anti-wall nonsense.

You mean like how there were only 6 people caught that were on the watch list and not 4,000 like the lying Huckabee Sanders tried to say? Yeah, that's a good reason to Trust Trump alright. :lamo

2. Making public the justification for declaring a national emergency and building the wall.

You mean the fake "National Emergency" crisis that they had to lie about numbers with because they want to by-pass congress?

Yes, we know you don't care about the truth as you have already admitted such when you excuse any lies coming from this administration as long as you get what you want. So no different now.

Back
Top Bottom