• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump’s big distortions on mail-in voting

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
AP FACT CHECK: Trump'''s big distortions on mail-in voting

President Donald Trump on Thursday continued his monthslong campaign against mail-in voting this November by tweeting critically about the practice, building on complaints he has made all week. The president has recently been trying to distinguish between states that automatically send mail ballots to all registered voters and those that make voters request a mail ballot, but even there he’s badly distorted the practice.

A look at his statements and the facts:

TRUMP: “The big Unsolicited Ballot States should give it up NOW, before it is too late, and ask people to go to the Polling Booths and, like always before, VOTE. Otherwise, MAYHEM!!! Solicited Ballots (absentee) are OK.” — tweet Thursday.
===================================================
In-person voting will be way down due to the coronavirus, so Trump is afraid that mail-in votes will make him lose the election.

How are mail in ballots authenticated?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have no issue with it as long as they have a reliable way to authenticate the ballot with the voter. I think if you want your vote to be anyomous you should have to show up in person.

I have no issue with it as long as they have a reliable way to authenticate the ballot with the voter. I think if you want your vote to be anyomous you should have to show up in person.

The authenticate it the same way they authenticate EVERY absentee ballot... Once the ballots are removed from the envelopes, they are ALL anonymous...

How do they know that the ballot came from the person that it says its from is what im wondering?

Do we look like your research assistants? Google is your friend for questions like this.

How are requested ballots authenticated?
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

See what he's doing? He's setting up an excuse and defense for when Joe Biden beats him. He'll run to the courts, and his drooling zombie cultists, to do something about it. The lower courts should find that there is nothing wrong with mail-in-voting, as they've done before. Who knows what the SCOTUS will do. #45 will urge his cultists to protest in the streets and likely urge violence.

If you've not done 3 minutes of research on absentee or mail in voting, it's hard to discuss these things from a position of total ignorance.

But in general, you get a ballot, either by request or automatically. It comes with two envelopes. In one you place your ballot. It has no identifiable markings on the outside of it. It's only purpose is to protect the anonymity of what's inside, which will be your ballot.

That envelope is then placed in a bigger envelope, and it's that envelope that is mailed. In my state that envelope has a bar code that's identified as you, and you sign the outside of that envelope. You mail that to the elections people. They scan the bar code, it brings up your name, they compare signatures, then when all checks out, they remove the envelope with the ballot from that bigger envelope and send that still sealed envelope to the counting area. Once it reaches that counting area, it's anonymous.

Whenever counting starts, they remove the ballots from the envelopes and scan them through a counting machine.

How do they know that the ballot came from the person that it says its from is what im wondering?

They compare the signature on the ballot to the voting record -- just like when someone votes in-person.

If you dont know either, just say so. There is a point in my question.

Do you consider that a secure methodology?

If thats true, I am fine with that. That would mean those ballots are not anyomous if thats the case.

According to Trump the process is very strict, the equivalent to in person voting, maybe even sometimes better.

“President Donald Trump continues to draw false distinctions between mail-in and absentee ballots, claiming the former are rife with voter fraud while the latter — which he has used as president — require a voter to go through “a very strict process. The equivalent of going to a voting machine, or maybe even sometimes better.”

Voting experts told us the verification process is the same for absentee and mail-in ballots, and many states consider them to be the same thing.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A good piece on 60 Minutes this evening on the issue of voting by mail in PA. The Republican controlled legislature approved mail in voting before Covid. After the malignant narcissist scumbag POS made it an issue the snowflake repukes tried to add amendments imposing various restrictions. Dems took them to the PA Supreme Court and basically won. The repukes vow to take it to the US Supreme Court even though they initiated the original legislation. Weak kneed hypocrites of the highest order.

AP FACT CHECK: Trump'''s big distortions on mail-in voting

President Donald Trump on Thursday continued his monthslong campaign against mail-in voting this November by tweeting critically about the practice, building on complaints he has made all week. The president has recently been trying to distinguish between states that automatically send mail ballots to all registered voters and those that make voters request a mail ballot, but even there he’s badly distorted the practice.

A look at his statements and the facts:

TRUMP: “The big Unsolicited Ballot States should give it up NOW, before it is too late, and ask people to go to the Polling Booths and, like always before, VOTE. Otherwise, MAYHEM!!! Solicited Ballots (absentee) are OK.” — tweet Thursday.
===================================================
In-person voting will be way down due to the coronavirus, so Trump is afraid that mail-in votes will make him lose the election.
No matter what Trump says, there could be over one million mail in ballots disqualified.

No matter what Trump says, there could be over one million mail in ballots disqualified.

Does this number differ substantially from the number disqualified in prior elections? 400,000 were disqualified in 2016...

Does this number differ substantially from the number disqualified in prior elections?
Yes. In 2016, over 300,000 mail in ballots were disqualified. If three times more people vote by mail this election, that could easily be more than one million mail in ballots being disqualified. I thought you guys were the party that wanted everyone's votes to count?

Yes. In 2016, over 300,000 mail in ballots were disqualified. If three times more people vote by mail this election, that could easily be more than one million mail in ballots being disqualified. I thought you guys were the party that wanted everyone's votes to count?

Every VALID vote should count... I am entirely in favor of states creating methods to allow voters to correct deficiencies in order for their ballots to count.

Every VALID vote should count... I am entirely in favor of states creating methods to allow voters to correct deficiencies in order for their ballots to count.
But that isn't happening. This election will have over one million mail in ballots being disqualified. So, Trump is right. There are too many problems with mail in voting.

But that isn't happening. This election will have over one million mail in ballots being disqualified. So, Trump is right. There are too many problems with mail in voting.
Are they counting invalid ballots?

Oregon has been using mail in ballots since 1981. On a side note, it used to be, prior to 1981, that Oregon seemed to swap between Republican and Democrat every election year but since the mail in ballots came into effect Oregon has had nothing but Democrat Governors, kinda make one wonder.

Illinois has had mail-in ballots since 1775. Trump has made mail-in ballots an issue because he is losing and hopes to suppress the vote, make it harder for people to vote, and sew doubt among his supporters about the expected outcome. Trump himself has used mail-in ballots his entire life, and his campaign is sending postcards to Republican voters encouraging mail-in voting.

Vote-by-mail is more secure than in-person voting. It is also faster, more economical, and much easier for the voter, which encourages higher voter participation than in-person voting.

All of the objections to vote-by-mail that I’ve seen in this thread and elsewhere were brought up when Oregon was considering changing to all vote-by-mail twenty-one years ago. Oregon has had all vote-by-mail for twenty years now, and it works just fine, none of those objections at the start have proved valid, and Oregon consistently has one of the highest voter participation percentages in the country.

Forget voter fraud, that has been proved over and over again to be so rare as to be statistically irrelevant. The main reason many people, and one political party in particular, fight so hard against vote-by-mail is because it effectively nullifies most of their favorite methods of voter suppression, which they depend upon to win elections.

Despite partisan fears, research suggests neither party gains an advantage with mail-in voting. You may be surprised to learn that in 2016, 33% of the votes were mail-in votes. A panel that Trump charged with investigating election corruption found no real evidence of fraud before he disbanded it in 2018.

No. That is just disqualified ballots due to signature and other issues.

Ballots with signature and other issues are invalid. Some people are just too stupid to vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom