• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump’s ABC News town hall: Four Pinocchios, over and over again

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...um=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

At the ABC News town hall Tuesday night, President Trump was challenged by ordinary voters in ways that he rarely experiences in the safe spaces of Fox News, where he regularly answers questions. But he still retreated to false or misleading talking points that he offers in his usual venues. Here’s a quick tour through 24 claims made at the Philadelphia town hall, in the order in which he answered questions.

“We’re very close to having the vaccine. If you want to know the truth, the previous administration would have taken perhaps years to have a vaccine because of the FDA and all the approvals, and we’re within weeks of getting it. You know, could be three weeks, four weeks, but we think we have it.”

Most experts believe a scientifically credible vaccine for the novel coronavirus will not be available until at least early 2021, and vaccine manufacturers insist they will not be rushed for political considerations. In any case, it will take months to make a safe vaccine available to most Americans. Trump has no basis to claim the Obama administration would have been slower, given how poorly the Trump administration ramped up coronavirus testing.

“If you look at what we’ve done compared to other countries, with the excess mortality, the excess mortality rate, we’ve done very, very well.”

Trump can cherry-pick whatever numbers he wants, but as moderator George Stephanopoulos pointed out, the United States ranks poorly compared to its peers on most measures of the coronavirus.

“We were short on ventilators because the cupboards were bare when we took it over.”

This is a Four-Pinocchio claim. When the new coronavirus emerged, the Strategic National Stockpile held 16,660 working ventilators, which turned out to be enough to deal with the initial surge of the pandemic, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. (Almost 11,000 were distributed to states.) HHS said that the number available in March 2020 was essentially the same number as of January 2017, when President Barack Obama left office.

“We have 20 percent of the cases [in the world] because of the fact that we do much more testing. If we wouldn’t do testing, you wouldn’t have cases. You would have very few cases.”

This is a nonsensical statement. The number of coronavirus cases rose in the United States because the disease has been spreading for months, abetted in part by a lax and inconsistent response from U.S. political leaders. As of mid-2020, the total number of new weekly cases had been rising, and the rate of positive test results also was increasing.

Without testing, the scope of the pandemic would be unclear and hospitals and doctors would not be able to prepare. Ending testing would not end the spread of the disease. “When the virus is under control, testing doesn’t uncover more cases. It’s a tool for keeping the epidemic at bay,” said former Food and Drug Administration commissioner Scott Gottlieb.

“I read where other people said do it. No people that I saw said do it. And I know they said security advisers and others — I put a ban on when it wasn’t at all popular. Joe Biden said I was xenophobic because I put the ban on, and I thought that was a very unfair — and by the way he’s totally taken that back. But I’m not sure he knows what it means.”

The president frequently claims he took bold action that was criticized. News reports say he was reluctant to impose the ban, citing his relationship with Chinese leader Xi Jinping, but the action was urged by his top health advisers. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar told reporters on Feb. 7: “The travel restrictions that we put in place in consultation with the president were very measured and incremental. These were the uniform recommendations of the career public health officials here at HHS.”
============================================================
Not facing Fox so-called News' usual softball questions, Trump painted himself to be a liar & manipulator whose only concern is getting reelected.

Last edited:
Ironically, FoxNews is talking about how wonderful he did.

They called it an ambush.

It must have been rough for ole President CheetoVonTweeto to face someone other than adoring enablers.

It must have been rough for ole President CheetoVonTweeto to face someone other than adoring enablers.

He doesn't like being questioned. That's what happens when you surround yourself with yes men for so long. When someone calls him out for his lying he doesn't handle it well.

That townhall performance is the equivalent of NFL film of an opposing team.
I hope Team Biden makes use of it.
But the debate is going to need to have extra moderators.
I choose Samuel L. Jackson, based on his performance as Jules in Pulp Fiction.

And seeing as how Trump apparently poisoned Dwayne The Rock Johnson and his entire family, he needs a spot on the mod team as well.

Dwayne Johnson: Trump proves to many that 'not everybody should run for president'

I figure that's about as fair as the Senate Impeachment Trial. ;)

That townhall performance is the equivalent of NFL film of an opposing team.
I hope Team Biden makes use of it.
But the debate is going to need to have extra moderators.
I choose Samuel L. Jackson, based on his performance as Jules in Pulp Fiction.

And seeing as how Trump apparently poisoned Dwayne The Rock Johnson and his entire family, he needs a spot on the mod team as well.

Dwayne Johnson: Trump proves to many that 'not everybody should run for president'

I figure that's about as fair as the Senate Impeachment Trial. ;)

Well, I think we can only imagine the level of entertainment with Jules dealing with debate moderation.

Well, I think we can only imagine the level of entertainment with Jules dealing with debate moderation.

With the amount of lies coming out of Trump's mouth I say that's what it is going to take to maintain any semblance of order and forthrightness. If the mods allow Trump to just lie with impunity during the entire one or two hours without reigning him in, then there really is no point to an actual debate.

In any other debate, any REAL debate, outright lies are penalized.
You don't get to win a debate by spewing a two hour stream of outright falsehoods.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...um=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

At the ABC News town hall Tuesday night, President Trump was challenged by ordinary voters in ways that he rarely experiences in the safe spaces of Fox News, where he regularly answers questions. But he still retreated to false or misleading talking points that he offers in his usual venues. Here’s a quick tour through 24 claims made at the Philadelphia town hall, in the order in which he answered questions.

“We’re very close to having the vaccine. If you want to know the truth, the previous administration would have taken perhaps years to have a vaccine because of the FDA and all the approvals, and we’re within weeks of getting it. You know, could be three weeks, four weeks, but we think we have it.”

Most experts believe a scientifically credible vaccine for the novel coronavirus will not be available until at least early 2021, and vaccine manufacturers insist they will not be rushed for political considerations. In any case, it will take months to make a safe vaccine available to most Americans. Trump has no basis to claim the Obama administration would have been slower, given how poorly the Trump administration ramped up coronavirus testing.

“If you look at what we’ve done compared to other countries, with the excess mortality, the excess mortality rate, we’ve done very, very well.”

Trump can cherry-pick whatever numbers he wants, but as moderator George Stephanopoulos pointed out, the United States ranks poorly compared to its peers on most measures of the coronavirus.

“We were short on ventilators because the cupboards were bare when we took it over.”

This is a Four-Pinocchio claim. When the new coronavirus emerged, the Strategic National Stockpile held 16,660 working ventilators, which turned out to be enough to deal with the initial surge of the pandemic, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. (Almost 11,000 were distributed to states.) HHS said that the number available in March 2020 was essentially the same number as of January 2017, when President Barack Obama left office.

“We have 20 percent of the cases [in the world] because of the fact that we do much more testing. If we wouldn’t do testing, you wouldn’t have cases. You would have very few cases.”

This is a nonsensical statement. The number of coronavirus cases rose in the United States because the disease has been spreading for months, abetted in part by a lax and inconsistent response from U.S. political leaders. As of mid-2020, the total number of new weekly cases had been rising, and the rate of positive test results also was increasing.

Without testing, the scope of the pandemic would be unclear and hospitals and doctors would not be able to prepare. Ending testing would not end the spread of the disease. “When the virus is under control, testing doesn’t uncover more cases. It’s a tool for keeping the epidemic at bay,” said former Food and Drug Administration commissioner Scott Gottlieb.

“I read where other people said do it. No people that I saw said do it. And I know they said security advisers and others — I put a ban on when it wasn’t at all popular. Joe Biden said I was xenophobic because I put the ban on, and I thought that was a very unfair — and by the way he’s totally taken that back. But I’m not sure he knows what it means.”

The president frequently claims he took bold action that was criticized. News reports say he was reluctant to impose the ban, citing his relationship with Chinese leader Xi Jinping, but the action was urged by his top health advisers. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar told reporters on Feb. 7: “The travel restrictions that we put in place in consultation with the president were very measured and incremental. These were the uniform recommendations of the career public health officials here at HHS.”
============================================================
Not facing Fox so-called News' usual softball questions, Trump painted himself to be a liar & manipulator whose only concern is getting reelected.

I quit reading at the very beginning.

They are close to a vaccine. Even Faucci said it's not impossible to have one before the election. And, Obama was in office for 8 years and never came out with any vaccines that I know of, including SARS - 2. There is no way even your first example could be labeled as Pinnochios. Just more examples of TDS. Yes, we know you hate Trump.

I quit reading at the very beginning.

They are close to a vaccine. Even Faucci said it's not impossible to have one before the election. And, Obama was in office for 8 years and never came out with any vaccines that I know of, including SARS - 2. There is no way even your first example could be labeled as Pinnochios. Just more examples of TDS.

Obama handled *his* pandemics. Remember that when you’re having Thanksgiving dinner with ipad screens where members of your family traditionally sit.

Back
Top Bottom