• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

True Grit

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Remake of the 1960's classic.

I'm actually genuinely excited for this remake.

Looks amazing!

Looks ****ing baddass.

I dunno, I think they nailed this trailer. Looks epic.

Holy cow, that does look good. My first reaction was to think "Oh HAIL no, no way they can remake True Grit today and do right by it", but that trailer looks mighty intresting. I think I'll have to go see that one when it comes out.

Still, it is hard to beat John Wayne in this scene... :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty faithful remake, with the Dude playing the Duke. The original has a pretty high camp factor, and Glen Campbell's character is just annoying. I have mixed feelings on this one.

Looks like a pretty faithful remake, with the Dude playing the Duke. The original has a pretty high camp factor, and Glen Campbell's character is just annoying. I have mixed feelings on this one.

Well, I would have said "a certain humor" rather than "campy" myself, but then again I grew up on John Wayne movies. :)

Gotta love John Wayne, I agree.

I'm really hoping it does not suck, but you probably will not beat that performance by Wayne.

Looking forward to this one... hope it makes money so they'll do more westerns again.

The Proposition and Assassination of Jesse James wet my appetite extremely well, but I agree 100%, sir.

I'd pay good money to see a GOOD remake of Magnificent 7. One of my favourite westerns.

Holy cow, that does look good. My first reaction was to think "Oh HAIL no, no way they can remake True Grit today and do right by it", but that trailer looks mighty intresting. I think I'll have to go see that one when it comes out.

Still, it is hard to beat John Wayne in this scene... :mrgreen:

It's a Cohen brothers movie, so I have very high hopes, and the trailer really does look good. If any one can combine the humor, the somewhat unique western story, and the mood of the original, it is them. With Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh Brolin, the characters should be well played.

"The Dude" playing Rooster Cogburn. It doesn't get any better than that. Better actors this time around.... it should be a hit.

The Proposition and Assassination of Jesse James wet my appetite extremely well, but I agree 100%, sir.

I really enjoyed the "3:10 to Yuma" remake.

I thought it sucked. For me in order for a time period piece like that to be good it has to be believable and the characters should react logically to situations. It was a mess.

That was a good one. Another little known but very good movie was the 2008 film Appaloosa, with
Ed Harris, Vigo Mortenssen, and Jeremy Irons. Understated but VERY good, had some real depth.

That civil-war era flick with the baby-faced guy that played Spiderman was also surprisingly good, I can't come up with the name of it just now...

I thought it sucked. For me in order for a time period piece like that to be good it has to be believable and the characters should react logically to situations. It was a mess.

I'll refer you to "Appaloosa" as mentioned above. :) Much more period-realistic.

I'll refer you to "Appaloosa" as mentioned above. :) Much more period-realistic.

I liked it. One of my favorite westerns of all time is Nevada Smith. Another is The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Little Big Man, too.

Last edited:
That was a good one. Another little known but very good movie was the 2008 film Appaloosa, with
Ed Harris, Vigo Mortenssen, and Jeremy Irons. Understated but VERY good, had some real depth.

I have a reason why that movie sucked, and I can sum it up in one picture.

renee-zellweger.jpg

Can't believe they're remaking it... but I can't believe I'm not angry about it, either. It looks impressive.

:kitty:

I watched it again, and am even more impressed. The girl has the weird delivery of the original down, if more subtle. I love it.

I'm torn. The original was my 2nd favorite Duke movie (behind The Quiet Man). If this is good, maybe they will make more GOOD westerns again. IF this sucks, maybe they will stop trying and failing.

I watched it again, and am even more impressed. The girl has the weird delivery of the original down, if more subtle. I love it.

Let me HIGHLY recommend a movie called Ride With The Devil. Tobey Macguire is the lead role, and trust me he does a superb job. It's a very deep movie, more Civil War than strictly Western, with a mix of war, personal and family drama, romance and tragedy.

Folk from that period of time did speak differently than we do today. They apparently did not use contractions (like don't) very often, and may have been inclined to speak in more elaborate and less hurried manner than the modern American's "spit it out quick!" mode of speech. Ride w/The Devil portrayed this very well, along with very accurate depictions of period clothing, manners, attitudes and so on. Give it a try, I think you'd like it.

Back
Top Bottom