• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

True Grit

Let me HIGHLY recommend a movie called Ride With The Devil. Tobey Macguire is the lead role, and trust me he does a superb job. It's a very deep movie, more Civil War than strictly Western, with a mix of war, personal and family drama, romance and tragedy.

Folk from that period of time did speak differently than we do today. They apparently did not use contractions (like don't) very often, and may have been inclined to speak in more elaborate and less hurried manner than the modern American's "spit it out quick!" mode of speech. Ride w/The Devil portrayed this very well, along with very accurate depictions of period clothing, manners, attitudes and so on. Give it a try, I think you'd like it.

Definitely gonna check that out too.

Thanks Goshin I will. To me, one of the things that stood out about the original was the girl, both her delivery, and how the story was in a way a coming of age story for her in a violent western setting. It made it really stand out to me.

Let me HIGHLY recommend a movie called Ride With The Devil. Tobey Macguire is the lead role, and trust me he does a superb job. It's a very deep movie, more Civil War than strictly Western, with a mix of war, personal and family drama, romance and tragedy.

Folk from that period of time did speak differently than we do today. They apparently did not use contractions (like don't) very often, and may have been inclined to speak in more elaborate and less hurried manner than the modern American's "spit it out quick!" mode of speech. Ride w/The Devil portrayed this very well, along with very accurate depictions of period clothing, manners, attitudes and so on. Give it a try, I think you'd like it.

I am going to check it out. One of my favorite modern westerns is Tombstone. Man those guys sure looked good with those mustaches.

I'm really hoping it does not suck, but you probably will not beat that performance by Wayne.

Of course it will not beat it! Live up to it and go Over? Maybe. We will see:)

I'm really hoping it does not suck, but you probably will not beat that performance by Wayne.

I loved John Wayne and loved watching his movies, but face it, he really wasn't the greatest actor. He pretty much played himself in every movie. It wasn't acting in my opinion, it was just him.

I loved John Wayne and loved watching his movies, but face it, he really wasn't the greatest actor. He pretty much played himself in every movie. It wasn't acting in my opinion, it was just him.

Well of course. That was The Duke. It was part of his mythos and his appeal. :)

Well of course. That was The Duke. It was part of his mythos and his appeal. :)

I know.
My Uncle has one of the largest John Wayne memorabilia collections in the country including almost every movie he made. He has been collecting for 50 years. When he dies the John Wayne Museum will get it all. That's the way he wants it.

louise+brooks+john+wayne+1+edit.jpg

My mother's cousin dancing with John Wayne.

Do you want to apologize to me, or my cardboard cut out of the Duke? Choose wisely! :D

Just kiddin, man!

Last edited:
Do you want to apologize to me, or my cardboard cut out of the Duke? Choose wisely! :D

Just kiddin, man!

The Duke was one of a kind. There will never be anyone like him ever again. He knew exactly who he was.

WOW! I hadn't heard about this remake until just now and that trailer looks awesome. True Grit is a real classic, one of John Wayne's best films, but this seems to be true to the original. I know I'll be going to see it in the theater.

IMHO Gregory Peck was the best western actor of 50-70's era. Dual in the Sun, The Gunfighter and The Big country... all top rate movies. Believe the Dukes best was perhaps his last... The Shootist, but you gotta love Red River and The Searchers. Eastwood's Unforgiven was helluva recent one.

Best ever TV western, "Lonesome Dove" ... Duval was in a lotta great westerns including True Grit.

I am looking forward to the movie more than any other this year. The Coen Bros. are brilliant directors.

It does have some good actors in it so hopefully it will do well. I want to see more westerns come out of Hollywood again. How long is this scify fantasy run going to last??

SO the original version was on TCM tonight at 8...I found out at 9 of course, but the last hour was still great! I had forgotten just how good some of it is.

Back
Top Bottom