• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trudy Busch Valentine enters Missouri U.S. Senate race, shakes up Democratic primary

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
By Daniel Desrochers
Updated March 29, 2022 8:58 AM

Trudy Busch Valentine officially launched her campaign for U.S. Senate in Missouri Tuesday, shaking up a relatively quiet Democratic primary. Her announcement was preempted by former state Sen. Scott Sifton, who abruptly withdrew on Monday night and threw his support behind Busch Valentine. In her campaign launch video, Busch Valentine, 64, talks about her family farm, working as a nurse, her son’s opioid overdose and her father, August Busch, who helped build Anheuser-Busch into one of the largest breweries in the world. “We have so much more that unites us than divides us. We just need to talk to each other again, exchange ideas with honesty and integrity,” Busch Valentine said. “That’s why I decided to run for the United States Senate, because we need something different. We need a new politics, one that puts the good of all people first.”

While she received a degree in nursing after graduating college and volunteered to help vaccinate people during the COVID-19 pandemic, Busch Valentine is best known for her philanthropy. This is her first campaign. She was married to John Dee Valentine until his death from cancer in 2002. She has six children and eight grandchildren. Her son Matthew died of an opioid overdose in 2020. Democrats increasingly see the race as an opportunity to pick up the U.S. Senate seat held by the retiring Republican Sen. Roy Blunt. The Republican primary field is led by former Gov. Eric Greitens, who resigned from office in 2018 amid multiple scandals and was recently accused of domestic violence by his ex-wife. Busch Valentine enters as a candidate with a well-known name and the personal wealth to match the fundraising lead built out by former Marine Lucas Kunce. Kunce, who grew up in Missouri before attending Yale and joining the military, has been attempting to run a populist campaign to win back working-class voters who have fled the Democratic Party for the GOP.

Busch Valentine appears to be taking the opposite approach. Her campaign video appears focused on the political middle-ground, drawing on an argument recently made by former U.S. Sen. Jack Danforth that there’s room for a centrist candidate in the U.S. Senate race because of voter fatigue with the polarization of the two major parties. Her launch was rocky. After filing for U.S. Senate at 4 p.m. on Monday, Busch Valentine’s quiet entry into the race was upended by the surprise announcement that Sifton was dropping out and throwing his endorsement to her campaign. In a press release announcing his withdrawal, Sifton urged Democrats to unite behind Busch Valentine. “I have seen her in action working on issues in the community and know she will do right by Missourians,” Sifton wrote. “I am excited to see what she can do for our state in the Senate, and call on all other Democrats in the field to lend her their support.” Kunce’s campaign has yet to comment on the new development in the race.

www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article259887735.html

Interesting development.

Now that disgraced former Republican governor of MO, Eric Greitens, is starting to fall behind in the GOP primary (or is he ?), Republicans look to be favoured for November.

But her entry makes things more unpredictable. And I'm not sure if Greitens is actually falling that much behind, despite all the accusations against him.

She might have a chance to win in Missouri in any other year than this, because MO is sooo red right now.

But even against scandal-plagued Greitens, I guess she would lose by 5-10 points, even if she can spend tens of millions of her own beer money.

This is going to be a Republican year, so even disgraced and domestic abuser Republicans can ride the red wave to victory ...

Another rich person that held no public office at a lower level, yet runs for Congress based on her fundraising and parents money. She's got to be the favorite! Having money should not disqualify you from running for Govt, but having no experience in Govt. at any levels should be a red flag to all voters, right Donald?

Because polling on Senate races is still quite limited - still awaiting primary outcomes, I mostly look at the betting market to see what's up in Senate races. Here is MO today. Sorry, I see I posted a duplicate in the middle, but the three screenshots are all there.
Screenshot 2022-03-29 102713.pngScreenshot 2022-03-29 102814.pngScreenshot 2022-03-29 102814.pngScreenshot 2022-03-29 102547.png

We'll see if Trudy moves into and up the list in upcoming days.

Because polling on Senate races is still quite limited - still awaiting primary outcomes, I mostly look at the betting market to see what's up in Senate races.

Only the TX primary has been held so far, out of the 50 states & DC.

The next primaries will be IN and OH in early May ... and MO is only in August.

Only the TX primary has been held so far, out of the 50 states & DC.

The next primaries will be IN and OH in early May ... and MO is only in August.
Yeah, and that's why polling is limited for Senate races so far. They do some polling on incumbents vs top hopefuls from other party, but until any state's primary is over and the two major party candidates are set, polling tends to be limited. But not so in the betting markets. That is already quite active for all sorts of election (including primary) matchups.

By Daniel Desrochers
Updated March 29, 2022 8:58 AM

Trudy Busch Valentine officially launched her campaign for U.S. Senate in Missouri Tuesday, shaking up a relatively quiet Democratic primary. Her announcement was preempted by former state Sen. Scott Sifton, who abruptly withdrew on Monday night and threw his support behind Busch Valentine. In her campaign launch video, Busch Valentine, 64, talks about her family farm, working as a nurse, her son’s opioid overdose and her father, August Busch, who helped build Anheuser-Busch into one of the largest breweries in the world. “We have so much more that unites us than divides us. We just need to talk to each other again, exchange ideas with honesty and integrity,” Busch Valentine said. “That’s why I decided to run for the United States Senate, because we need something different. We need a new politics, one that puts the good of all people first.”

www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article259887735.html

Interesting development.

When I hear political middle ground it sounds to me like same old same old. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Back
Top Bottom