• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trudeau's approval rating is lower than Trumps

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Does everyone around here understand this truth, and maybe understand what this means?

Justin Trudeau may face a surprisingly tough election fight this year. His worst problem is not the winsome dimples of Andrew Scheer (a man few of us would recognize if we bumped into him). His problem is that after three years of exposure, the charm has worn thin. He is often glib. He strikes a lot of voters as fatuous and superficial. He’s smart enough, but it’s a mean old world out there and people understandably wonder if he’s up to the challenges that Canada is facing. He can’t make tough choices. Instead, he tells us we can have it all – pipelines along with carbon taxes, and substantial deficits which he swears are being spent on good investments. Not everyone is buying it.

The disenchantment with Mr. Trudeau has driven his party’s popularity down to about 36 per cent in the polls – only two points ahead of the Conservatives, as noted by UBC professor Richard Johnston.Mr. Trudeau’s own approval rating is lower than U.S. President Donald Trump’s. A new Nik Nanos poll says that 35 per cent of Canadians approve of the Trudeau government’s performance – about the same percentage who approved of Stephen Harper’s performance in 2014.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-mr-trudeaus-many-millstones/

I have my doubts.

Does everyone around here understand this truth, and maybe understand what this means?

I have my doubts.

Like Trump, his lack of popularity is well-deserved. The man is a false progressive, Macron like figure who has failed to deliver on important promises like electoral reform, rejecting the recommendations of his own review board because it wasn't politically expedient, nevermind his coziness with big money and corporations, and his billion dollar giveaway to Kinder Morgan when he massively overpaid for their pipeline.

If he wins, it will be because as usual, the opposing leadership is so weak. I like Jagmeet Singh well enough, but, keeping it real, even as an NDP supporter, I don't think he has the charisma to overcome his ethnicity on the national stage.

I have my doubts.

Hawkeye10:

I have my doubts too, not just about Mr. Trudeau's political record to date but also about the columnist who wrote the opinion piece which you cited, Margaret Wente. Google her name and see her rather checkered career with respect to charges of plagiarism and not meeting journalistic standards at both the Globe and Mail and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC Radio) Furthermore her directorship in a very interesting climate related non-profit NGO funded heavily by the fossil fuel industry casts some doubt on her objectivity in this piece. She has plenty of reasons to portray Mr. Trudeau in the worst possible light.

This should not be construed to be an apologia for Mr. Trudeau who has made some very bad decisions while PM for nearly the last three years. He has made some good decisions too but some of his bad ones have been whoppers. The Kinder-Morgan Pipeline bail-out being the worst of them in my opinion.

So readers should be aware of where Ms. Wente is coming from ideologically and they should also be aware of Mr Trideau's errors and successes in order to reach a balanced conclusion about the present PM's fitness to be reelected.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Like Trump, his lack of popularity is well-deserved. The man is a false progressive, Macron like figure who has failed to deliver on important promises like electoral reform, rejecting the recommendations of his own review board because it wasn't politically expedient, nevermind his coziness with big money and corporations, and his billion dollar giveaway to Kinder Morgan when he massively overpaid for their pipeline.

If he wins, it will be because as usual, the opposing leadership is so weak. I like Jagmeet Singh well enough, but, keeping it real, even as an NDP supporter, I don't think he has the charisma to overcome his ethnicity on the national stage.

I agree strongly with your first paragraph and the opening line of your second paragraph. On the issue of charisma vs ethnicity I do not agree but that is for another debate.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

I agree strongly with your first paragraph and the opening line of your second paragraph. On the issue of charisma vs ethnicity I do not agree but that is for another debate.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

I do think it counts against him (sadly) in some of the whiter, more rural parts of Canada, and that a charisma surplus would be needed to counteract that. One thing is for sure: he's no Jack Layton, Jeremy Corbyn or Bernie Sanders.

Just think how things would be if the leftists didn't get full support from almost all media, TV, movies, ect.

I mean, there are plenty among the left that despise Trudeau as well, because in the end, he's not really left, so much as a typical 'centrist' corporatist with pretenses of being left because that's where the political bias and lean of the country is.

Re. electoral reform- we had our say on the subject here in BC and it was overwhelmingly against, something like 66% to 33% (close to, I don't remember exactly). There were three proportional representation options and we don't want any of them. I'm waiting, but not holding my breath, for the subsidized day-care promise to be acted on.

I've been a Liberal Party voter all my life, when I voted (except for one year awhile ago when I voted for the Rhinocerus Party) but I nearly sat this last one out because I wasn't big on Trudeau 2.0. The Conservative Party attack ads pissed me off so much, though, that I voted. I liked the way he did some things, didn't like some others, but when he bought that pipeline he lost me. I'll probably sit out the next election but it won't matter- my riding is a shoe-in for the NDP anyway.

He will be re-elected simply because the opposition leader and his platform are nutso. After Harper, nobody wants to risk another neo-con government. Many of the policy challenges of Trudeau's cabinet can be traced to the entrenched policies that the Harper government put in place. They didn't just completely change the Canadian political landscape, they installed time-locked and resource sensitive rules that made it virtually impossible for the next majority party to undo them.

Canada is naturally left leaning so we don't have the same liberal vs. conversative polarity that the U.S. does. People here hate extremism and fundamentalism. The only reason why Harper got into power previously was because of voter disillusionment and low turnout. When people saw the damage it caused, the last Federal election had one of the highest turnouts in history.

One of the things I've really loved about living in Canada the past 15 years is that the politics are so much more moderate and sensible.

Re. electoral reform- we had our say on the subject here in BC and it was overwhelmingly against, something like 66% to 33% (close to, I don't remember exactly). There were three proportional representation options and we don't want any of them. I'm waiting, but not holding my breath, for the subsidized day-care promise to be acted on.

The problem is he didn't put it to any kind of vote or referendum; he just shut it all down in a tantrum when his own board didn't give him the politically advantageous answer he wanted in the form of runoff voting, nevermind the well poisoning polling he put out to try and make the case that people nationally didn't want reform which spectacularly blew up in his face.

I've been a Liberal Party voter all my life, when I voted (except for one year awhile ago when I voted for the Rhinocerus Party) but I nearly sat this last one out because I wasn't big on Trudeau 2.0. The Conservative Party attack ads pissed me off so much, though, that I voted. I liked the way he did some things, didn't like some others, but when he bought that pipeline he lost me. I'll probably sit out the next election but it won't matter- my riding is a shoe-in for the NDP anyway.

I voted Trudeau because Mulcair was for some reason, probably per some misguided desire to portray the NDP as 'fiscally responsible', out of his goddamn mind with a platform that was to the right of Trudeau's, espousing such absolute nonsense as 'balanced budgets' in the middle of a recession (this is also part of the reason why he was so quickly deposed as leader); I literally had no one else to vote for.

Its time for PM Pixy-Dust to get outta the way and let a grown up run things now.

Ya he is a child, but notice how he was advertised as the shining star for all in the West to follow. Macron likewise. And look at how fast they both crashed into reality.

It is not just that they both suck that is alarming, it is also that those who claimed to be your betters told you that they were absolutely sure that he is awesome...which males them either liars or idiots or both.

If they wanted to knock the US right on it’s ass, while raking in the doe, they’d allow limited frakking in the Hiram Clark and it’s sister formation in New Brunswick.

Look up Corridor Resources. They alone could supply all of Boston with gas in the winter months for ever and cheaper too.

Just think how things would be if the leftists didn't get full support from almost all media, TV, movies, ect.

The failure of journalism is second only to the failure of the University....this is the one-two punch that has flattened us. The so-called journalists make their propaganda to mold minds, it is designed for the little people but what it also does is buck up and protect the feelings of the FAILED INTELLIGENTSIA!, it works to make sure that they never learn that they are wrong, that they have failed and why they failed.

I just read this which is both right and germane to my point:

In sum, Yiannopoulos recast the left’s moral terms—racism, oppression, sexism, and transphobia—as tactical terms. Those accusations, so often tossed at conservatives, are a threatening verbal bullet. Most conservatives flinch when they hear them. Yiannopoulos’s irreverence, coupled with his rhetorical explanation of how those terms work, lowered their caliber.

That’s why he had to go. The left and liberals have relied on guilt as a political weapon for a long time. It has served them well. To be disarmed of it, to find that one’s lexicon of -isms and -phobias no longer work in debate or in politics, is to lose a treasured ally. It tells leftists, “You’re not as superior and good as you think you are.”

In other words, Yiannopoulos threatened their self-esteem. They got it back by shutting him down.
https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-milo-example_2736245.html

Ya he is a child, but notice how he was advertised as the shining star for all in the West to follow. Macron likewise. And look at how fast they both crashed into reality.

It is not just that they both suck that is alarming, it is also that those who claimed to be your betters told you that they were absolutely sure that he is awesome...which males them either liars or idiots or both.

Hawkeye you forget...I don't have any "betters". ;)

Trudeau might have a low approval but he isn't as polarizing a lot of people would still vote liberal because his cabinet is solid.

Back
Top Bottom