• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Truckers warn 'disastrous' mandate will worsen supply chain chaos

Twisting my comment's intentions to the absurd extremes and making excuses for flawed logic doesn't improve your case.
I'm not twisting anything. I'm directly asking you to make your case and define your position. In response, you become increasingly vague.

You're claiming that "we are trading too much liberty for security" by continuing to do something we've done for decades (mandatory vaccinations). Where is your proof of this alleged threat? Why doesn't 700,000 dead Americans and counting meet your criteria?

You claim that "governance robs people of self-determination." Where is your proof of this alleged threat? Is Social Security a threat? Are building codes a threat? How about civil rights protections?

Do you acknowledge that we are not going in one direction? Isn't legalization of recreational marijuana and wiping out low-level marijuana offense criminal records a huge step for liberty? Isn't the development of cryptocurrency a step towards liberty? Didn't the development of the Internet provide a huge leap in the ability of individuals to speak publicly?

And telling people how to live will eventually cause a backlash like the violence spreading across the country.
Nope, sorry, wrong. The majority of Americans want government to do more, not less. E.g. 60% support Biden's vaccine mandates. Almost everyone who is subject to a mandate gets vaccinated. There is no indication whatsoever that vaccine mandates did or will cause serious violence.

Plus, two can play at that game. What if I said "without major police reforms and accountability, violence will spread across the country?" Would you then support police reforms and accountability?

I'd add that almost any major policy implementation and social change can inspire a backlash -- including whatever changes you want to implement. Does that mean no one should do anything?

I'm not twisting anything. I'm directly asking you to make your case and define your position. In response, you become increasingly vague.

You're claiming that "we are trading too much liberty for security" by continuing to do something we've done for decades (mandatory vaccinations). Where is your proof of this alleged threat? Why doesn't 700,000 dead Americans and counting meet your criteria?

You claim that "governance robs people of self-determination." Where is your proof of this alleged threat? Is Social Security a threat? Are building codes a threat? How about civil rights protections?

Do you acknowledge that we are not going in one direction? Isn't legalization of recreational marijuana and wiping out low-level marijuana offense criminal records a huge step for liberty? Isn't the development of cryptocurrency a step towards liberty? Didn't the development of the Internet provide a huge leap in the ability of individuals to speak publicly?

Nope, sorry, wrong. The majority of Americans want government to do more, not less. E.g. 60% support Biden's vaccine mandates. Almost everyone who is subject to a mandate gets vaccinated. There is no indication whatsoever that vaccine mandates did or will cause serious violence.

Plus, two can play at that game. What if I said "without major police reforms and accountability, violence will spread across the country?" Would you then support police reforms and accountability?

I'd add that almost any major policy implementation and social change can inspire a backlash -- including whatever changes you want to implement. Does that mean no one should do anything?
All you do is ask leading and loaded questions. Your inability to be more concise and direct is boring me.

All you do is ask leading and loaded questions. Your inability to be more concise and direct is boring me.
All you do is dodge direct questions. Yawn....

All you do is dodge direct questions. Yawn....

I don't let others control the conversation with leading questions. You hear only what you want to hear.

Much of trucking is a physical job that many women cannot or don't want to do. There is also an undesirable group of people that many people don't want to deal with because of the risk of assault. I wouldn't want to do it.
I don't doubt that, but if women are Seals or Rangers now I'm sure truck driving would be an opportunity for those that choose it.

Mark Allen, the CEO of the International Foodservice Distributors Association, is not "truckers."

There are many undesirable people around loading docks, warehouses, and truck stops.

You don't have much clue of which you pontificate. I am in the logistics industry and trained women drivers when I was an instructor when things were decidedly more old school. The reason more women are not in the trucking industry is not as you say. Women can easily do the job its not particularly physically exhausting except for certain flatbed operations. With modern automated transmission trucks women can pick up the skills required quickly. The reason they don't stay in the industry is mainly time and distance requirements of the job. Most women require flexibility and closeness to home for their jobs. Trucking especiacially long haul and regional requires time away from home. It's a lifestyle choice more than a job choice. A choice most women do not make. There are more women drivers in the industry than when I was in it, but most of them are as husband wife teams. Many of them are older couples whose children are no longer in the house.

There are "undesirable" people everywhere - especially in big cities, which are of course ant hills for Democrats. For Truckers, or anyone, the worst places to go are the areas completely controlled by Democrats.

I own a small trucking company with my brother, and I spend more time on the road than the office out preference. I'm in a truck stop in South Carolina right now, trying to make it home to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving.

There are plenty of women truckers these days, and none of them have any trouble. If there were a problem, every trucker in the lot would come her defense. We hired a young woman who immigrated from Ukraine a few years ago. She's petite, very attractive, and she loves trucking. We pay her well, we treat her well - like all of our drivers.

Truckers are honest, hardworking Americans - and I can assure you it is not "low pay".

Owner/operators usually make somewhere around $100K+/year. Company drivers $60K+.

I'm in the business. You read some article written by some out of touch progressive, and think you know the score?? Like I said, you don't know what you're talking about.
There are more than a few company drivers that don't make over 50k a year at least for a couple of years. Don't get me started on the rolling sweatshop England runs. There are plenty of unsavory companies out there. If a driver with 2 years under their belt, isn't making at least $75k+ a year long haul then they need to find another company. A driver can make $89k+ with Walmart to start. That's only three years under the belt.

There are more than a few company drivers that don't make over 50k a year at least for a couple of years. Don't get me started on the rolling sweatshop England runs. There are plenty of unsavory companies out there. If a driver with 2 years under their belt, isn't making at least $75k+ a year long haul then they need to find another company. A driver can make $89k+ with Walmart to start. That's only three years under the belt.
A lot of guys have to sign a one year contract with one of the larger companies to get their CDL - I don't recommend it, but their circumstances are such that it's worth it for them.

They almost always move on for more money after that first year.

You're right about CR ENGLAND... same thing with Swift.

Or they could just get the vaccine and go about their lives like everyone else.

I see this (from page 1) is going to be a common liberal approach. But it's actually wrong. Nobody should drive if they're feeling ill, particularly not a big truck. Vaccines do make people feel ill, so there should be PAID time off for any truckies who follow orders and get the vaccine, then suffer side effects.

A lot of guys have to sign a one year contract with one of the larger companies to get their CDL - I don't recommend it, but their circumstances are such that it's worth it for them.

They almost always move on for more money after that first year.

You're right about CR ENGLAND... same thing with Swift.
Que the Swift jokes lol.

Tbe problem for trucking companies right now isn't Covid - they can't find new drivers who can actually pass a pre-hiring drug screen.
That’s the same problem bus companies are having.

Back
Top Bottom