• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Truckers are gone from Ambassador Bridge

Credence

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Truckers are gone from Ambassador Bridge, but more protesters arrive on foot

“A small but growing group of demonstrators continues to protest near the Ambassador Bridge, despite a large police presence pushing them back.

By late morning, all the vehicles, both pickups and semis, had cleared out of the road leading to the bridge. About 50 protesters remained on foot. Police have pushed them south down Huron Church Road past College Avenue.

Around noon, new protesters appeared to join them, growing their ranks to about 100.…”

Police reportedly have them cordoned off but haven’t arrested anyone… yet.

Presumably, traffic is once again beginning to flow.

Read more: https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ce/6764936001/

Police arrest protesters who remained at US-Canada bridge

WINDSOR, Ontario (AP) — Police moved in to clear and arrest the remaining protesters near the busiest U.S.-Canadian border crossing on Sunday, trying to end a demonstration against COVID-19 restrictions that has hurt the economy of both nations even as they held back from a crackdown on a larger protest in the capital, Ottawa.

Local and national police formed a joint command center in Ottawa, where protests have paralyzed downtown, infuriated residents who are fed up with police inaction and turned up pressure on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

The protests have reverberated across the country and beyond, with similar convoys in France, New Zealand and the Netherlands. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security warned that truck convoys may be in the works in the United States.

Windsor police said arrests were being made and vehicles were being towed just after dawn near the Ambassador Bridge that links their city — and numerous Canadian automotive plants — with Detroit.

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...88c283d14f972a

Maybe the Can govt will be happy enough that the destruction of economic and social/everyday life has been halted and not bother to fine or sentence anybody per the law. Move along, folks, nothing to see here.

Maybe the Can govt will be happy enough that the destruction of economic and social/everyday life has been halted and not bother to fine or sentence anybody per the law. Move along, folks, nothing to see here.
Seems the truckers left and the protestors are peaceful and interfering with trade due a threat of $100,000 fine and up to a year in jail. They have arrested a few:

Officials are diverting cargo to stem losses after cuts by Ford Motor Co, General Motors Co, Chrysler parent Stellantis and Toyota Motor Corp. Ontario, where police have avoided using force to disperse protesters, sought to build pressure by threatening C$100,000 fines and up to a year in prison for non-compliance.
============================
Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said federal police had deployed additional units to Ottawa, where officers have made 25 arrests so far. Mendicino was scheduled to speak with U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas on Friday, his office said.

I sure hope the ones who have left have provided their forwarding address to Tamara Lich, the registered recipient for theonl8ne funds collected, so they can get their piece of the pie! I think we will see some police action in Ottawa on Monday once the weekend warriors clear out and just the hard core protesters are left.

I sure hope the ones who have left have provided their forwarding address to Tamara Lich, the registered recipient for theonl8ne funds collected, so they can get their piece of the pie! I think we will see some police action in Ottawa on Monday once the weekend warriors clear out and just the hard core protesters are left.

I think it might be a good idea to take actions today, or over night, when there's less public involved than there will be Monday when the Monday A.M. back-to-work crowd descends upon the place.

I think it might make more sense to take actions today, or over night, when there's less public involved like there will be Monday when the Monday A.M. back-to-work crowd descends upon the place.
They will move like they did in Windsor, very early in the AM. Besides which there are very few people at work downtown other than those on Parliament Hill and I am sure there will be a heads up. However, you make a point so maybe later today while everyone is watching the Super Bowl!

They will move like they did in Windsor, very early in the AM. Besides which there are very few people at work downtown other than those on Parliament Hill and I am sure there will be a heads up. However, you make a point so maybe later today while everyone is watching the Super Bowl!

Hah! Didn't even consider that. Less crowds, and less paying attention!

--

BTW - I never got a chance to respond to your 'favorite cities' post; apparently the thread got closed.

I might consider starting a specific thread to this, given the number of Canadian posters onboard. If, I ever get around to it! ;)

I think it might be a good idea to take actions today, or over night, when there's less public involved than there will be Monday when the Monday A.M. back-to-work crowd descends upon the place.

Had they been smart, last night it was extremely cold and the streets were practically empty, not to mention most of the live streamers feeds died due to their phones batteries failing from the cold.

Today is filling up like yesterday, so it would be a waste of time to even attempt to shut things down. Early AM would still be best time to move in, imo.

Somehow I don't see a large number of the public protesters who are busy dancing and celebrating, running home to catch the SB. 🤷‍♂️

Had they been smart, last night it was extremely cold and the streets were practically empty, not to mention most of the live streamers feeds died due to their phones batteries failing from the cold.

Today is filling up like yesterday, so it would be a waste of time to even attempt to shut things down. Early AM would still be best time to move in, imo.

I might agree.

“A small but growing group of demonstrators continues to protest near the Ambassador Bridge, despite a large police presence pushing them back.

By late morning, all the vehicles, both pickups and semis, had cleared out of the road leading to the bridge. About 50 protesters remained on foot. Police have pushed them south down Huron Church Road past College Avenue.

Around noon, new protesters appeared to join them, growing their ranks to about 100.…”

If traffic is flowing there isn't any reason to arrest anyone for peacefully protesting.

Somehow I don't see a large number of the public protesters who are busy dancing and celebrating, running home to catch the SB. 🤷‍♂️

But, the general public's eyes will be rivetted on it, which will avert attention if the removal gets messy . . .

Thank goodness that the pointless stupidity is over.

I wonder if corps are going to sue people for lost profits.

Good. Protesters should never be allowed to block roads regardless of what they are protesting for. People should be able to protest all they want as long as its on public property and they are not blocking anyone and not denying others access to that public property.

If there aren't consequences some idiot will just do it again soon.

Seems the truckers left and the protestors are peaceful and interfering with trade due a threat of $100,000 fine and up to a year in jail. They have arrested a few:

Officials are diverting cargo to stem losses after cuts by Ford Motor Co, General Motors Co, Chrysler parent Stellantis and Toyota Motor Corp. Ontario, where police have avoided using force to disperse protesters, sought to build pressure by threatening C$100,000 fines and up to a year in prison for non-compliance.
============================
Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said federal police had deployed additional units to Ottawa, where officers have made 25 arrests so far. Mendicino was scheduled to speak with U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas on Friday, his office said.

"threat of" and "up to" are the operative (or non-op) terms. Maybe they pay for the towing/storage fees and get a sus-spen-did-uh sentence.

Deputy Commissioner Curtis Zablocki says the RCMP weapons seizure and arrests on Monday speak to "serious criminal activity" that was "real and organized" amid the now disassembled border blockade at Coutts, Alta.

Threats became known to the RCMP days into the protest. Through investigations and intelligence, a "heavily armed group" was revealed.

RCMP reiterated that conspiracy is a serious charge based on evidence that there is a commitment to follow through with murder.

The investigation remains ongoing into the extent to which those arrested are connected with broader insurrectionist groups across the province and country.
Most of the accused face charges of mischief to property over $5,000 and possession of a weapon. Four also face an additional charge of conspiracy to murder, with one man also charged with uttering threats.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...sday-1.6352128

Deputy Commissioner Curtis Zablocki says the RCMP weapons seizure and arrests on Monday speak to "serious criminal activity" that was "real and organized" amid the now disassembled border blockade at Coutts, Alta.

Threats became known to the RCMP days into the protest. Through investigations and intelligence, a "heavily armed group" was revealed.

RCMP reiterated that conspiracy is a serious charge based on evidence that there is a commitment to follow through with murder.

The investigation remains ongoing into the extent to which those arrested are connected with broader insurrectionist groups across the province and country.
Most of the accused face charges of mischief to property over $5,000 and possession of a weapon. Four also face an additional charge of conspiracy to murder, with one man also charged with uttering threats.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...sday-1.6352128

We call that "political discourse" down here.

If there aren't consequences some idiot will just do it again soon.

1/6 being a case going to that point. Just a note: Not just some idiot, but a whole lot of idiots. Though I get your "idiot" is meant to be representative of many.

Back
Top Bottom