• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tropical Storm Ian

Looks like Daytona Beach & maybe St. Augustine might get drenched.
Latest NOAA rainfall forecasts has them getting 15-20 inches of rain.

@Redress the winds are down to 145 mph. You can go outside for a smoke. 😁

Naples surge is washing houses away.

This is both good and very bad if the wind speed is truly 155 mph.

Do you ever believe any science or only blogs. Don't you have a pop quiz to calculate that shit?

@Redress the winds are down to 145 mph. You can go outside for a smoke. 😁
Just did actually. Took a nice nap earlier too. Power is flickering off occasionally, but mostly we have power. Wind damage is light so far in the neighborhood, but we will all have some repairs, mostly just downspouts and such. Next door neighbor lost top to his lenai.

As Fox tv station out of Tampa is telling us, it is not as bad as it could have been, but there is still a ton of bad to go, and it is going to get worse.

Interesting you mentioned this. I just noticed Ian is predicted to cross over Florida, pop into the Atlantic, and crash back into the Carolinas. I wondered if anyone was talking about this.

I suppose the answer to your question would depend upon the temperature of the Atlantic. Right?

Temp of Gulf Stream.

Just did actually. Took a nice nap earlier too. Power is flickering off occasionally, but mostly we have power. Wind damage is light so far in the neighborhood, but we will all have some repairs, mostly just downspouts and such. Next door neighbor lost top to his lenai.

As Fox tv station out of Tampa is telling us, it is not as bad as it could have been, but there is still a ton of bad to go, and it is going to get worse.
Good to hear that things in your neck of the woods are better then expected.

We are a long way from being out of the woods, but we are optimistic.
I prefer to be optimistic as well. Dwelling on the negatives of a situation doesn't help...especially when it comes to being smack-dab in the middle of a beast of a hurricane. It makes the pessimist, as well as those around him/her nervous and upset....emotions that are certainly NOT needed in that kind of an atmosphere.

New models out, and the word is U-G-L-Y, UGLY. Models have it passing by Sarasota/Tampa as a class three, near miss, and slowly making landfall a little north. We can expect heavy rain and wind Wednesday till Friday anyway.
Stay safe. I lived in Melbourne area for over 40 years and I remember the dread of waiting for it to hit, the cleanup and repairs afterward, the days without power.
I'm in Ohio now, but my heart goes out to those in the path of this monster.

Do you ever believe any science or only blogs. Don't you have a pop quiz to calculate that shit?
That may well have been the wind speed offshore, but the recorded wind speeds have been quite a bit lower, below 100 mph. Science is about what you can measure.

That may well have been the wind speed offshore, but the recorded wind speeds have been quite a bit lower, below 100 mph. Science is about what you can measure.

Backpedal needs pop quiz.

I've been watching this hurricane coverage on the news today. I've never had to experience anything like that thankfully, it is seriously terrifying. Wishing the best for all the members here who live in that area and are being affected by this. Hoping you can all stay safe and don't have very severe property damage.

Worried about our place near Orlando. Looks like it will be more of a rain event than a wind event and we have some excellent flood basins around us so here is hoping. All the furniture in the lanai is in the pool so none will act as flying projectiles.....now we just wait but I think it will all be OK

Dang, I'm feeling so bad for all those going through the worst of this day. SOOOOO much water!
There is going to be an immense amount of damage and likely deaths. Much of the Gulf coast is not going to be recognizable.
There's an army of people coming into Florida to help restore power and phone service as soon as possible But before that there is an army of people ready to clear debris and down powerlines from the roadways. Coast Guard is set to move in as soon as possible to perform rescue missions. The Cajun army is ready to move in as soon as possible to rescue those in flood waters. I just learned there are Christian groups including hundreds of food trucks ready to go in as soon as possible to provide food. But tonight, is going to be horrible for those who are in dire straits. They need our prayers.

There is going to be an immense amount of damage and likely deaths. Much of the Gulf coast is not going to be recognizable.
There's an army of people coming into Florida to help restore power and phone service as soon as possible But before that there is an army of people ready to clear debris and down powerlines from the roadways. Coast Guard is set to move in as soon as possible to perform rescue missions. The Cajun army is ready to move in as soon as possible to rescue those in flood waters. I just learned there are Christian groups including hundreds of food trucks ready to go in as soon as possible to provide food. But tonight, is going to be horrible for those who are in dire straits. They need our prayers.

If going through a hurricane in the daytime is no fun, how much better can it be at night with no electricity or illumination inside or out? Nothing but sounds of destruction you can't see.

If going through a hurricane in the daytime is no fun, how much better can it be at night with no electricity or illumination inside or out? Nothing but sounds of destruction you can't see.
It is not that bad, really. It sounds kinda bad, but not as bad as you would think. The bigger problem is trying to sleep through all the noise, but I have window open to get some little airflow, so things are louder. Next hurricane, little battery powered fan for sure.

Back
Top Bottom