• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Troops deployed to U.S.-Mexico border lack hot food, electricity

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Donald Trump is the worst President ever. He won't even go see them. Contrary to popular belief I actually haven't said that yet, about Trump.

Troops at the border are sleeping in tents that house 20 soldiers and have no electricity or air conditioning, with some suffering heat exhaustion within days of starting the mission. There's no mess hall — only pre-made "Ready-to-Eat" meals — and the only phone chargers available are attached to "a few generators that power spotlights around the living area." Department of Defense officials worry that if the number of troops increases to 15,000, the cost could be as high as $200 million.

Deployed Inside the United States: The Military Waits for the Migrant Caravan

Last edited:
Donald Trump is the worst President ever. He won't even go see them. Contrary to popular belief I actually haven't said that yet, about Trump.

Another Trump cluster****.

Another Trump game Americans as pawns.

Another Trump game that he's playing to lose but after we've been battered and bruised he'll yell at rallies about what a win it was and his followers will swoon over what a great president we have and now one else would have dared take the risks he has taken with our lives.

I don't know whether to laugh at that snowflake writer...or be outraged that these soldiers have it better than I did when I spent 30 days downrange at Ft. Carson...living in a pup tent.

btw, MRE's are "hot food"...if you want to take the time to heat them up. It's not hard to do but some people don't bother.

Oh...I've been out of the loop for a lot of years. Do GP Mediums come with AC now?

Plenty of reasons to oppose the deployment, but this isn’t one. They can use it as training and testing equipment and systems.

Plenty of reasons to oppose the deployment, but this isn’t one. They can use it as training and testing equipment and systems.
I like this glass-half-full view of the situation, hopefully they do actually take advantage of the circumstances for training purposes.

How will these deployed troops ever make it without adequate phone chargers?

The $200 million also is a misleading number. Most if not all troops would be paid whether down on the border or sitting in the day room at Fort Wood. Training exercises are ongoing. Deploying to the border is in effect a very good training exercise.

The other side of the coin is the cost of allowing the caravan to enter. Schooling the kiddos alone will eat up a couple hundred million quickly. And that's just one expense.

They're "in the field". There won't be electricity.

As far as hot meals go, that's probably bull****. If it isn't, it's a command problem. The president doesn't have anything to do with that.

Anyone who's ever been in the Army, or the Marine Corps is going to verify that this is a gigantic nothing burder. :lamo

I like this glass-half-full view of the situation, hopefully they do actually take advantage of the circumstances for training purposes.

Of course they will.

I don't know whether to laugh at that snowflake writer...or be outraged that these soldiers have it better than I did when I spent 30 days downrange at Ft. Carson...living in a pup tent.

btw, MRE's are "hot food"...if you want to take the time to heat them up. It's not hard to do but some people don't bother.

Oh...I've been out of the loop for a lot of years. Do GP Mediums come with AC now?

I think a/c can be installed in them. I think I saw that...from a distance...lol.

GP Mediums have always come with a/c; it’s manual, just roll up the half-dozen sides......

It is just the career soldier in me. Good NCOs and officers will ensure something productive gets done. Still sucks they might be away from home during the holidays for no good reason, but there are worse places they could be.

It's kind of ironic that the feared 3rd world caravan is being fed and supported by the local people as they pass through (with 800 miles still to walk) while the 1st world troops are suffering deprivation at home.

It is just the career soldier in me. Good NCOs and officers will ensure something productive gets done. Still sucks they might be away from home during the holidays for no good reason, but there are worse places they could be.
^^ Best response so far in this thread.

I’m retired military too and am not happy at all that Trump is trying to make another stupid, losing argument at the expense of others. Since 9/11, the military has been tasked with many arduous, but very important missions, often away from loved ones for more than a year at a time and then redeployed after only a short time home. Their country and mission take priority over their personal lives, as it always has been and must be, but to pull these heroes away from heir families as a stunt to bring attention to a crisis that does not exist is absolute pure BS! Yet another reason I will never respect Trump.

Democratic Party's definition of the purposes of a military:

1. No military is ever to be used to protect their borders nor ever should. A military should only be used to invade other countries. Once an adversary reaches your border it is well understood the military and country should accept total defeat and surrender to the invading force.

2. If and only your country is obliterated by bombing and missiles, then and only then may there be a military retaliation. The military may never take any defensive actions, but only retaliatory offensive actions outside their own country.

Amazingly, many partisan Democrats fully agree with that.

Last edited:
It's kind of ironic that the feared 3rd world caravan is being fed and supported by the local people as they pass through (with 800 miles still to walk) while the 1st world troops are suffering deprivation at home.

They walk or wade across rivers for media photo ops. Otherwise most are riding on trucks.

The guy dishonored those fallen in WWI because he was feeling pissy about the election. He's done any other number of despicable things.

But we must remember: basic human decency is newly a sin.

There's no mess hall — only pre-made "Ready-to-Eat" meals — and the only phone chargers available are attached to "a few generators that power spotlights around the living area."

They can't charge their phones???? How horrid!

OP, soldiers train to operate in crappy conditions, that's what they do (or at least used to do). If they stay in the area, they'll improve it. They are extremely mindful of heat injuries, how to prevent them, and capable in how to handle them when they do happen. Your bleeding heart is out of place there.

They're "in the field". There won't be electricity.

As far as hot meals go, that's probably bull****. If it isn't, it's a command problem. The president doesn't have anything to do with that.

Anyone who's ever been in the Army, or the Marine Corps is going to verify that this is a gigantic nothing burder. :lamo

Those rations are called MRE. Meals ready to eat.

The boo hooing is not by the troops. It's by those who do not wish the caravan to impeded in any way.

trump will send the troops to Iran soon. Well they gotta find the WMDs that are hidden there. And they are there cos trump says so. Still haven't found the WMDs in Iraq that dubya and cheney LIED about.

I think a/c can be installed in them. I think I saw that...from a distance...lol.

Soldiers can be quite inventive, that's for sure.

Dude, you don't have to agree about Trump, but if you were really ever in the service, you wouldn't be bragging about yourself and crapping all over those serving our nation.

Back
Top Bottom