• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trigger happy police shoot one of thier own

i wonder how many seconds will pass between someone smashing your window and forcibly entering your home, and you frantically dialing 911 to beg for assistance from the evil police?

my guess; 2.5, anyone else care to wager?

Police don't protect people from getting their car windows smashed or from getting homes forcibly entered.

as they should, his criminal act led directly to the death.

Sure takes the pressure off cops to use their guns with caution and competence.

"Just unload in their direction! If you hit anybody else we'll just charge him for it."

Two wrongs make a right, in this case I guess.

But it's still part of the job description, and they take it very seriously

I would say most do.

Just to be clear, I consider police work to be a noble calling.

But the drug war, and to an extent 9/11 have fundamentally changes cop culture. Hiring a lot of ex-military is a factor too. "Sheriff" isn't the same archetype as "soldier".

I have seen cops go from heroes to bullyboys during my lifetime.

I see cops FAR too often being belligerant assholes for no good reason. Rude, domineering, without provocation. They are actually taught a lot of this stuff.

I'm just glad I'm old enough and repectful enough looking to get away with rolling my eyes now.

They have a stressful job, but basic courtesy and provisional respect would go a LONG way towards fixing what's wrong.

I would say most do.

Just to be clear, I consider police work to be a noble calling.

But the drug war, and to an extent 9/11 have fundamentally changes cop culture. Hiring a lot of ex-military is a factor too. "Sheriff" isn't the same archetype as "soldier".

I have seen cops go from heroes to bullyboys during my lifetime.

I see cops FAR too often being belligerant assholes for no good reason. Rude, domineering, without provocation. They are actually taught a lot of this stuff.

I'm just glad I'm old enough and repectful enough looking to get away with rolling my eyes now.

They have a stressful job, but basic courtesy and provisional respect would go a LONG way towards fixing what's wrong.

True enough. A lot of the rudeness, I think, likely comes from having to deal with the scum of the earth day in and day out. It'd be pretty easy to get cynical about people in general and assume the worst.

True enough. A lot of the rudeness, I think, likely comes from having to deal with the scum of the earth day in and day out. It'd be pretty easy to get cynical about people in general and assume the worst.

But its not an excuse.

The motto is literally "to protect and serve"

Who cares? The Supreme Court has ruled that it's not the police' job to protect anyone since 1968. They keep that as their motto to control ignorant people and garner support from folks like you. You're laughably ignorant on the duties of the police. Their job is to enforce the law that's it. It's not to serve the public and it's certainly not to protect anyone.

Who cares? The Supreme Court has ruled that it's not the police' job to protect anyone since 1968. They keep that as their motto to control ignorant people and garner support from folks like you. You're laughably ignorant on the duties of the police. Their job is to enforce the law that's it. It's not to serve the public and it's certainly not to protect anyone.

Even though those three words are on every police car since forever. :lol:

The law serves the public. For example, there are laws against trying to murder someone. The police enforce the law, keeping people safe.

Not to mention the fact that if all the criminals and terrorists who have been arrested since, say, 9/11 were still on the street, the body count who have been even bigger. The police stopped that from happening.

Even though those three words are on every police car since forever. :lol:

Must be written on underside of the ones in this case. :mrgreen:

albuquerque11n-4-web.jpg

The law serves the public. For example, there are laws against trying to murder someone. The police enforce the law, keeping people safe.

Not to mention the fact that if all the criminals and terrorists who have been arrested since, say, 9/11 were still on the street, the body count who have been even bigger. The police stopped that from happening.

So police prevent crime? Why didn't they prevent the shooting of one of their own officers?

BTW, you probably didn't know this but every society in history has had rules against murder. We don't write laws to prevent murder, we write laws to establish what the penalties are. People who are going to murder are going to murder.

It was an accident, plain and simple. Had the officer involved been at the briefing it would have been avoided, sounds more like a procedural problem that can be corrected.

So police prevent crime? Why didn't they prevent the shooting of one of their own officers?

BTW, you probably didn't know this but every society in history has had rules against murder. We don't write laws to prevent murder, we write laws to establish what the penalties are. People who are going to murder are going to murder.

You probably don't know this, but every society in history has needed a way enforce the rules against murder. If there's no way to enforce the rules they become meaningless.

The long and short of why the officer got shot is **** happens.

i wonder how many seconds will pass between someone smashing your window and forcibly entering your home, and you frantically dialing 911 to beg for assistance from the evil police?

my guess; 2.5, anyone else care to wager?

Why not call for back-up? Cops do it too... but rest assured that it would not be the cops that protected me during their, at best, 20 minute drive to my house and most likely 30-40 minute drive... it would be me. ...and you know where you can put your idiotic "evil police" Appeal? :lol:

You probably don't know this, but every society in history has needed a way enforce the rules against murder. If there's no way to enforce the rules they become meaningless.

This wasn't a matter of "**** happens". This was a textbook example of bad police work. The only person who shot the cop was the person who didn't attend the briefing.

A secondary issue is that there were two undercover cops and god knows how many in the field to do a bust of $60 worth of drugs being sold.

PS: I like how you've acknowledged that police are there to enforce the law and not protect people.

What I want to know is why you keep making these silly assumptions that people don't know basic things like societies enforce their rules/laws kinda stuff?

This wasn't a matter of "**** happens". This was a textbook example of bad police work. The only person who shot the cop was the person who didn't attend the briefing.

A secondary issue is that there were two undercover cops and god knows how many in the field to do a bust of $60 worth of drugs being sold.

PS: I like how you've acknowledged that police are there to enforce the law and not protect people.

The two things, IMO, are connected. By enforcing the law, police protect people. Perhaps I didn't make that clear?

IDK

And yeah skipping a briefing is stupid but it's just bad luck that in this particular case it lead to tragedy

What I want to know is why you keep making these silly assumptions that people don't know basic things like societies enforce their rules/laws kinda stuff?

Cause in the post before the guy said " you probably don't know this but every society in history has had rules against murder."

As this was obvious, I said something obvious back

Instead of trashing cops you could have linked to a more complete story on the incident but I guess that kind of thing just isn't in your nature.

New details in shooting of undercover APD officer | Albuquerque Journal

There seems to have been a tragic screw up. The cop that pulled the trigger apparently saw the cover guy pull a gun on the passenger in the back seat and reacted in defense of the passenger's life. If it HAD been a bad guy in the back seat the cop would have saved the other guy's life. Unfortunately, sometimes stuff happens and it appears that the cop never got word that there would be TWO undercover instead of one. The result was tragic for all involved and, frankly, a little compassion in such situations does more to understand and prevent such things in the future.

You won't get compassion. Cops are the scapegoat for politicians who fail to deliver on their promises of better communities where such things are no longer needed. They are also to blame for arresting people who break the law. It isn't the drug dealers fault he was selling to an addict.

You won't get compassion. Cops are the scapegoat for politicians who fail to deliver on their promises of better communities where such things are no longer needed. They are also to blame for arresting people who break the law. It isn't the drug dealers fault he was selling to an addict.

If police shoot their own that is fine... what should not be happening is police shooting innocent people.

Cause in the post before the guy said " you probably don't know this but every society in history has had rules against murder."

As this was obvious, I said something obvious back

What is obvious is that people blame the police for so many things that are out of their control... instead of realizing that the police have a very difficult job they lash out in ignorance;.

Back
Top Bottom